Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 00:31
Hello,

I'm in a (possibly) unique situation. Do Help!

I've applied to both Fuqua's MMS program and the LBS MiM program. I've got admitted into the Fuqua one and have an interview with MiM (which I'm sure I'll crack). Here's where is my major dilemma. The job markets in finance are weird in India and undergrads (I know mine is a masters degree but it is for all intents and purposes an integrated undergrad course that I came to right after high school) are not taken into roles in the front office in finance, which is where I want to make a career for myself. Also moving internationally is not an option because of the stricter visa laws that have come into place and I've been trying like a fiend to get that international experience.

Essentially my problem of choice is that I stay back home (either get a job in finance or work for a startup handling business development and finance) and then apply again for an MBA a 3/4 years down the line. Or I take up the Fuqua program for a year, gain international experience and break into the US geography. If I do take the second option, it'll be purely for breaking into a new geography, getting practical academic exposure and getting a job. But there also is the fact that I'll already have two masters degrees (after the Fuqua degree) and the possible overlap of curriculum with an MBA program, which might make it much more difficult to get into an MBA program later. I need help/advice/insights on how to proceed and what to do.

So my questions are essentially is the MM+4/5yrs of Work Ex+MBA (should I want to do one later on) is really that hard a sell? I'm guessing there'll be quite a few people like me from now/in the near future given that the more prestigious MM program (such as Fuqua MMS/LBS MiM) were started 3-4 years back. So realistically what are the chances if breaking in to a good MBA program with an MM in hand? And will international exposure gained from the pre-experience program be not worth it/won't be of value add?

I'd be grateful if you reply with your insights (I know it's a personal decision to make but want expert insights to ensure that I make the most informed choice)

Manoj
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 01:42
Expert's post
Manoj:
I love the name! Unique and really cool sounding - but I digress.

Of course, there are a few ways of looking at this and it all comes down to expected outcome. First, I want to address your expectations of landing a front office job. You need to take a long term view of getting the job that you really want. A career is just that - something started in the short term with an eye on the long haul. However, I believe that you are getting ahead of yourself and grabbing at anything that will accelerate your move into the front office. You are also negating any affect from your goals changing - that is, getting closer to the front office (or into it) and not liking the direction you are headed. Knowing this takes experience, which you lack.

The most important thing to consider is to not make moves that will limit opportunities in the future - no matter what they are or where you think you want to be in 5+ years. him him him him this is why you if you really do not want to attend anything less than an MBA program. Think of the MBA as a Swiss Army knife. By going to Fuqua MMS program you are basically getting a spoon or a fork, but you are not getting all the tools you'll need. Not only is the curriculum restrained, but you will be in an environment where your classmates have little to add with regards to work experience or professional leadership. IMO, its a lot of time and effort for relatively less return over the course of your career. This means that you are limiting the probability that you will ever get into your desired front office job.

I would work on gaining experience and figuring out what you really want to do. Perhaps it won't change from your current goals, but at least you will know for sure. Then you will be able to weave a more convincing story for any MBA admissions committee.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

maverickmj wrote:
Hello,

I'm in a (possibly) unique situation. Do Help!

I've applied to both Fuqua's MMS program and the LBS MiM program. I've got admitted into the Fuqua one and have an interview with MiM (which I'm sure I'll crack). Here's where is my major dilemma. The job markets in finance are weird in India and undergrads (I know mine is a masters degree but it is for all intents and purposes an integrated undergrad course that I came to right after high school) are not taken into roles in the front office in finance, which is where I want to make a career for myself. Also moving internationally is not an option because of the stricter visa laws that have come into place and I've been trying like a fiend to get that international experience.

Essentially my problem of choice is that I stay back home (either get a job in finance or work for a startup handling business development and finance) and then apply again for an MBA a 3/4 years down the line. Or I take up the Fuqua program for a year, gain international experience and break into the US geography. If I do take the second option, it'll be purely for breaking into a new geography, getting practical academic exposure and getting a job. But there also is the fact that I'll already have two masters degrees (after the Fuqua degree) and the possible overlap of curriculum with an MBA program, which might make it much more difficult to get into an MBA program later. I need help/advice/insights on how to proceed and what to do.

So my questions are essentially is the MM+4/5yrs of Work Ex+MBA (should I want to do one later on) is really that hard a sell? I'm guessing there'll be quite a few people like me from now/in the near future given that the more prestigious MM program (such as Fuqua MMS/LBS MiM) were started 3-4 years back. So realistically what are the chances if breaking in to a good MBA program with an MM in hand? And will international exposure gained from the pre-experience program be not worth it/won't be of value add?

I'd be grateful if you reply with your insights (I know it's a personal decision to make but want expert insights to ensure that I make the most informed choice)

Manoj

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 08:58
Hello Paul,

First off, thanks much for your reply. Secondly, thank you for your shout out about my name. It's a first! :)

I have one follow-up question after reading your reply. What if I feel (after much deliberation) that right now that my best option is the Fuqua MMS program? I know this is more like instant gratification with my eyes more on the short term but I think that it will be a good move to go to Duke this summer. It is a great school, which boasts consistently high placement records, opens up 2 entirely new geographies for me and I'd be getting international experience too. Given all this, I also want to know if the MMS now will definitely close the door to a M7/Top 10 MBA later on because of the 2 Masters I'll have (the one in Econ now and the MMS itself) and because the adcoms will look at me as a degree chaser? And by later on I mean 4-5 years after graduating from the MMS.

I completely understand (I couldn't agree more) about gaining work ex but isn't the MMS only a detour to the same path? I also feel that the MMS is something that I have in hand now and I'm afraid to trade it off for something that is uncertain in the future, as things stand.

Do help me out please (again) with your insights/opinions given this new info and question.

Thanks much in advance,

Manoj
Expert Post

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 21:02
Expert's post
Hey Manoj:

Okay, I think I understand what might be part of your motivation. You basically want to get out of India and spread your wings a little bit. I admire this. I actually find it quite refreshing and I believe it is something that you should do while you are young (and have relatively smaller amounts of responsibility.)

To be honest with you, I believe that professional and personal charity insight are important. But if one had to give a little bit, I would say that you would want to subjugate professional development, so that you could work on who you are as a person and experience more of the world has to offer. In my opinion, this is what is your decision to attend Fuqua. To be clear, this is not a bad motivation. If it ends up being a mistake – which I do not necessarily believe that is – you will have the rest of your life to cover.

So to answer your question about having too many Masters degrees – admissions committee will not look upon this unfavorably, for the most part. You just want to explain how an MBA will add value on top of the degrees that you already have. This can be done to the optional essay when the time comes.

Let's face it, you won't regret moving to the US and going to school. You really can't lose. I hope that Fuqua's career center is as good as they claim. This will definitely help you gain an H1 Visa upon graduation - if that is what you require to work in the US. If you can pull this off and then work in the US for two or three years, you are golden.

So I suppose I'll be the first one to say it - Welcome to America! Pretty soon you'll be a Dukie, cheering at basketball games and listening to East Coast rap like a boss. Holla.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

maverickmj wrote:
Hello Paul,

First off, thanks much for your reply. Secondly, thank you for your shout out about my name. It's a first! :)

I have one follow-up question after reading your reply. What if I feel (after much deliberation) that right now that my best option is the Fuqua MMS program? I know this is more like instant gratification with my eyes more on the short term but I think that it will be a good move to go to Duke this summer. It is a great school, which boasts consistently high placement records, opens up 2 entirely new geographies for me and I'd be getting international experience too. Given all this, I also want to know if the MMS now will definitely close the door to a M7/Top 10 MBA later on because of the 2 Masters I'll have (the one in Econ now and the MMS itself) and because the adcoms will look at me as a degree chaser? And by later on I mean 4-5 years after graduating from the MMS.

I completely understand (I couldn't agree more) about gaining work ex but isn't the MMS only a detour to the same path? I also feel that the MMS is something that I have in hand now and I'm afraid to trade it off for something that is uncertain in the future, as things stand.

Do help me out please (again) with your insights/opinions given this new info and question.

Thanks much in advance,

Manoj

Intern
Intern

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 10:30
Hey Paul,

I can completely see why you get the reviews you do!!! You picked up the subtle (or so I thought) hints I dropped and hit the nail right on its head that most others didn't. WOW!!!

Yes, there is a wanderlust in me that's been there for a while and I believe that moving away from home- which I love btw- will help me out immensely to grow as a person. Which is also why giving up Fuqua seemed so hard, even when I have quite an interesting job offer with a startup here at home. This just sprung up on me now (in the last few hours) and now I'm not sure the decision to come to the US will be so easy as this work ex may differentiate me from the scores of others who apply (because there are bankers who apply in hordes to B-School, right?). It has to do with business development and investments- the flip side of banking and sounds like a good opportunity.

The only good thing is that the firm has agreed to let me defer joining by a couple of years when I told them about Fuqua. So I guess going to Fuqua now makes more sense as I have a backup here at home if things don't go as planned.

I just want your thoughts on the matter given the job offer and the possibility of a deferral so I can finally set my mind on one thing and not spend my time and energy making pro/con lists and arguments for both sides.

Thanks for everything, Paul.

Manoj

PS- Do not be surprised if I contact you for help with my MBA app in the next half decade!!!
Expert Post

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 18:40
Expert's post
LOL! Sweet! I look forward to speaking with you when you elect to go for the MBA. Until then, good luck!

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

maverickmj wrote:
Hey Paul,

I can completely see why you get the reviews you do!!! You picked up the subtle (or so I thought) hints I dropped and hit the nail right on its head that most others didn't. WOW!!!

Yes, there is a wanderlust in me that's been there for a while and I believe that moving away from home- which I love btw- will help me out immensely to grow as a person. Which is also why giving up Fuqua seemed so hard, even when I have quite an interesting job offer with a startup here at home. This just sprung up on me now (in the last few hours) and now I'm not sure the decision to come to the US will be so easy as this work ex may differentiate me from the scores of others who apply (because there are bankers who apply in hordes to B-School, right?). It has to do with business development and investments- the flip side of banking and sounds like a good opportunity.

The only good thing is that the firm has agreed to let me defer joining by a couple of years when I told them about Fuqua. So I guess going to Fuqua now makes more sense as I have a backup here at home if things don't go as planned.

I just want your thoughts on the matter given the job offer and the possibility of a deferral so I can finally set my mind on one thing and not spend my time and energy making pro/con lists and arguments for both sides.

Thanks for everything, Paul.

Manoj

PS- Do not be surprised if I contact you for help with my MBA app in the next half decade!!!