Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An overly centralized economy, not the changes in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

An overly centralized economy, not the changes in the [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 03:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

90% (01:55) correct 10% (00:41) wrong based on 30 sessions
An overly centralized economy, not the changes in the climate, is responsible for the poor agricultural production in country x since its new government came to power. Neighboring country y has experienced the same climate conditions, but while agricultural production has been falling in country x, it has been rising in country y.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument?

(a) Industrial production also is declining in country x.
(b) Whereas country y is landlocked, country x has a major seaport.
(c) Both country x and country y have been experiencing drought conditions.
(d) The crops that have always been grown in country x are different from those that have always been grown in country y.
(e) Country x's new government instituted a centralized economy with the intention of ensuring an equitable distribution of goods.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 03:46
D sounds most logical to me
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 08:45
mexicanhoney wrote:
An overly centralized economy, not the changes in the climate, is responsible for the poor agricultural production in country x since its new government came to power. Neighboring country y has experienced the same climate conditions, but while agricultural production has been falling in country x, it has been rising in country y.

(d) The crops that have always been grown in country x are different from those that have always been grown in country y.
(e) Country x's new government instituted a centralized economy with the intention of ensuring an equitable distribution of goods.

D. nothing other than D weakens the argument.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 10:34
mexicanhoney wrote:

D.

A: this strengthens the argument. Suggesting that centralized economy is to blame.
B: Irrelevent
C: Basically says what the psg said. X and Y experienced the same climate conditions.
E: Doesn't weaken the argument. This is irrelevent.

D: suggests that something else was the cause. i.e. bananas are grown in Y where as brussel sprouts grown in X.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 11:40
I will also vote for D.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 11:50
Why is A wrong? Doesnt it show that there is some other cause for the effect that is taking place other than the economy?

Industrial production could decline because the demand might be low (not necessarily because of economy) . Please explain in detail.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 16:43
In cause and effect reasoning, for weakening

The choice that deals with attacking the relationship between cause and effect is preferred over a choice depicting alternate causes.

The above is an empirical rule i developed , while looking at a number of Weakening questions. I always found the above rule to hold in cause-effect reasoning questions :) .

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 16:49
crick20002002 wrote:
In cause and effect reasoning, for weakening

The choice that deals with attacking the relationship between cause and effect is preferred over a choice depicting alternate causes.

The above is an empirical rule i developed , while looking at a number of Weakening questions. I always found the above rule to hold in cause-effect reasoning questions :) .

Crick

I am also talking about cause and effect weakening too .
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 05:56
D
a- strengthens
b- out of scope
c- strengthens
d- weakens
e - out of scope

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 01:31
D in a whisker.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 04:43
IMO : D
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 917 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: weakening the argument question [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 05:53
mexicanhoney wrote:

Conclusion: An overly centralized economy is responsible for bad agriculture yield. Change in climate is NOT Responsible.

Reasoning: Neighboring country y has the same climate as country x does, yet y is showing better yield.

Weakener:
D: It is weakening the statement by saying that same climate may very well be the reason why x has lower yield.
Say both x and y are experiencing drought like condition but,
x produces rice, which needs water in abundance
y produces cotton, which thrives well in dry climate.
Thus, y has better yield despite having same climate as x has.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: An overly centralized economy, not the changes in the [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 14:08
I was torn between B and D and went with B. Maybe I made too many assumptions here, but if country Y is landlocked while country X has a major seaport, that could explain why country Y is engaged in more farming to sustain itself while country X can rely on imports, etc. In my mind, I though this answer choice presented an alternative as to why Y would have a higher agricultural production despite having identical climate.
Re: An overly centralized economy, not the changes in the   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2012, 14:08