Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 752 [0], given: 40

An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 00:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

72% (01:59) correct 28% (01:34) wrong based on 62 sessions
An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees at SaleCo's regional offices work not eight hours a day, five days a week, as do other SaleCo employees, but rather ten hours a day, four days a week, with Friday off. Noting this phenomenon, SaleCo's president plans to increase overall productivity by keeping the offices closed on Fridays and having all employees work the same schedule-ten hours a day, four days a week.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most reason to doubt that the president's plan, if implemented, will achieve its stated purpose?

A. Typically, a SaleCo employee's least productive hours in the workplace are the early afternoon hours.
B. None of the employees who work four days a week had volunteered to work that schedule, but all were assigned to it by their supervisors.
C. Working ten hours a day has allowed the most productive employees to work two hours alone each day in their respective offices relatively undisturbed by fellow employees.
D. Employees at SaleCo are compensated not on the basis of how many hours a week they work but on the basis of how productive they are during the hours they are at work.
E. Those SaleCo employees who have a four-day workweek do not take any of their office work to do at home on Fridays.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SaleCo's employee productivity [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 02:41
My answer would be 'C'
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 6

Re: SaleCo's employee productivity [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
C provides a reason to doubt the success of president's plan.

The employees working 10 hours a day were productive because they were getting 2 hours alone time when they were not distrubed by anybody.

If everyone starts working 10 hours a day then no one will get alone time and there will be disturbance which will not increase the productivity.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: SaleCo's employee productivity [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 20:31
IMO B.

This casts a doubt on the president's plan because if none of the most productive employees had chosen to work 10 hrs/day 4days/week and were asked to by their supervisors, then it is safe to say that it is not solely the 10hour-4day structure that caused them to be productive but rather they were already productive employees. So, making all employees work the same structure will not guarantee their productivity.

C can't be it because the fellow employees could be part of the same productive group and also when they choose to work undisturbed for 2 hrs is not specified.

Need the OA Ykaiim.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SaleCo's employee productivity [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 21:36
Hi GillAS777,

Don't you think B supports the president's plan...?
Since selection of employees was random, assuming they were all productive is a long shot. Instead, keeping everything else constant between the 4 days and 5 days working employees, the only variable is schedule which impacts productivity..

Thanks,
SS
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 76

Re: SaleCo's employee productivity [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 09:40
ykaiim wrote:
An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees at SaleCo's regional offices work not eight hours a day, five days a week, as do other SaleCo employees, but rather ten hours a day, four days a week, with Friday off. Noting this phenomenon, SaleCo's president plans to increase overall productivity by keeping the offices closed on Fridays and having all employees work the same schedule-ten hours a day, four days a week.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most reason to doubt that the president's plan, if implemented, will achieve its stated purpose?

A. Typically, a SaleCo employee's least productive hours in the workplace are the early afternoon hours.
B. None of the employees who work four days a week had volunteered to work that schedule, but all were assigned to it by their supervisors.
C. Working ten hours a day has allowed the most productive employees to work two hours alone each day in their respective offices relatively undisturbed by fellow employees.
D. Employees at SaleCo are compensated not on the basis of how many hours a week they work but on the basis of how productive they are during the hours they are at work.
E. Those SaleCo employees who have a four-day workweek do not take any of their office work to do at home on Fridays.

The president wants to increase productivity by changing the schedule.
A. It supports the president's plan: if the least productive hours are the early afternoon hours, having one day less of work reduces the unproductive time 20%.
B. I don't see it related to productivity.
C. If coworkers will join them during those two undisturbed hours, productivity could actually decrease.
D. It doesn't relate to productivity.
E. It means that the productivity of those employees is at the workplace, not at home. It doesn't relate to others working in the other schedule, or how it will affect to change the others' schedule.

It's C for me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SaleCo's employee productivity [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 10:52
It's C.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1180

Kudos [?]: 5622 [0], given: 166

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 20:45
Expert's post
ykaiim wrote:

Responding to a pm:

B is incorrect. If anything, I would say that this information increases the probability that the plan will achieve its desired purpose i.e. the productivity of the people will increase. The employees who work 10 hrs 4 days do not do it on their own accord and according to what works best for them; instead, they do it because their supervisors told them to. Hence, their productivity is higher not because their body works best in this manner and hence they chose to work this way but because somehow, this 10 hrs 4 days schedule increased their productivity. This means that if others are also told by their supervisors to work 10 hrs 4 days, their productivity might increase too.

C says that 10 hrs has allowed people to work alone for 2 hrs. This alone time increased their productivity. If everybody is made to work for 10 hrs, there will be no alone time for anyone. Hence, we would expect the productivity of current 10 hrs 4 day slot people to decrease and the productivity of the rest of the employees to stay the same. Hence the plan will fail.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 21:58
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

Responding to a pm:

B is incorrect. If anything, I would say that this information increases the probability that the plan will achieve its desired purpose i.e. the productivity of the people will increase. The employees who work 10 hrs 4 days do not do it on their own accord and according to what works best for them; instead, they do it because their supervisors told them to. Hence, their productivity is higher not because their body works best in this manner and hence they chose to work this way but because somehow, this 10 hrs 4 days schedule increased their productivity. This means that if others are also told by their supervisors to work 10 hrs 4 days, their productivity might increase too.

C says that 10 hrs has allowed people to work alone for 2 hrs. This alone time increased their productivity. If everybody is made to work for 10 hrs, there will be no alone time for anyone. Hence, we would expect the productivity of current 10 hrs 4 day slot people to decrease and the productivity of the rest of the employees to stay the same. Hence the plan will fail.

Hi Karishma,
I got doubts on this one.
In answer choice B, we can clearly see an alternate reason in that their supervisor contributed to their increase productivity. So, 10 hours 4 day schedule alone may not be the reason for the increase in productivity. Isn't that sufficient to doubt that the plan will fail?

In answer choice C, your answer takes into assumption that the number of unproductive employees > number of productive employees? What if its the other way. That the number of productive employees is greater, then overall productivity will increase, won't it?
Expert Post

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 20:30
Expert's post
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
I got doubts on this one.
In answer choice B, we can clearly see an alternate reason in that their supervisor contributed to their increase productivity. So, 10 hours 4 day schedule alone may not be the reason for the increase in productivity. Isn't that sufficient to doubt that the plan will fail?

In answer choice C, your answer takes into assumption that the number of unproductive employees > number of productive employees? What if its the other way. That the number of productive employees is greater, then overall productivity will increase, won't it?

Supervisors contributed to increased productivity by making the employees work 10 hrs 4 days. If they make other employees do the same, the 10 hrs 4 days schedule could increase their productivity too. I don't see any other way in which the supervisors contributed to increased productivity. Even if the supervisors did contribute to increased productivity, it doesn't change the fact that 10 hrs 4 day schedule contributed. So 10 hrs 4 day schedule should contribute to increased productivity of other employees too (or at least, it should not make one doubt the suitability of the plan)

And no, there is no such assumption in C. It doesn't matter how many employees are highly productive. What it tells us is that not all employees work 10 hrs 4 days and hence it is relatively peaceful for the last 2 hrs. This increases the productivity. If everyone works for the last two hrs too, the relative quiet will be lost and no one's productivity will increase. In fact, the productivity of the employees who get those 2 extra hrs of quiet time might actually decrease since they will not get that extra productivity enhancing quiet time. Hence, the plan may not really be suitable. This makes us doubt that the plan will succeed.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 136

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:10
Hi Karishma,

Thanks for the explanation. However, I still have few doubts in option B and C. Request you to please look at my doubts and provide your reasoning

I can see that answer is C. But when I attempted the question, I thought that I am making assumption in both options and hence both answers could have been incorrect.

Taking Option C
While analyzing this option, I thought that I am making an assumption and that assumption is same as the below colored bold part. i.e. the relative quiet will be lost and no one's productivity will increase

Isn't it an assumption that when all employees will work together, then most of the employees will disturb each other and hence will have a fall in productivity.
It could have been the case that only few employees will disturb each other and hence there is overall increase in the productivity. i.e Plan will work.

Taking Option B
Supervisors made them achieve the increase in productivity. My doubt is the same effect may or may not have on every employee. i.e Isn't we are assuming that what works for a small sample will work for overall group, and hence it will improve productivity. It could have been the case that employees like to work without Supervisor pressure and hence volunteering from supervisor may have an negative effect on the productivity.

I think, just like we have an rule in Grammar- Squint Modifier- Looking London Talking Tokyo, same rule is getting applied on both options. i.e one way it strengthen the option and other way it weakens the option.

I know I am wrong somewhere. I would like to seek your opinion on this. Please correct me.

Thanks
H
P.S - because argument deals with real time scenario, anything against supervisor will likely to be picked by me.. lolz

If everyone works for the last two hrs too, the relative quiet will be lost and no one's productivity will increase. In fact, the productivity of the employees who get those 2 extra hrs of quiet time might actually decrease since they will not get that extra productivity enhancing quiet time. Hence, the plan may not really be suitable. This makes us doubt that the plan will succeed.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:49
This question has too many ifs and buts to be a GMAT question. Can the author please post the source?

I feel its too far fetched for students to assume that peaceful 2 hours means 2 hours of high productivity. The other thing is how can we assume that every one is going to react the same way to that peaceful environment? Sorry, but the question stimulus really sounds dubious to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 06:10
Its an official GMAT question only. That's why, everyone is trying hard to learn something out of it..

mourinhogmat1 wrote:
This question has too many ifs and buts to be a GMAT question. Can the author please post the source?

I feel its too far fetched for students to assume that peaceful 2 hours means 2 hours of high productivity. The other thing is how can we assume that every one is going to react the same way to that peaceful environment? Sorry, but the question stimulus really sounds dubious to me.

Expert Post

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 20:35
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Karishma,

Taking Option C
While analyzing this option, I thought that I am making an assumption and that assumption is same as the below colored bold part. i.e. the relative quiet will be lost and no one's productivity will increase

Isn't it an assumption that when all employees will work together, then most of the employees will disturb each other and hence will have a fall in productivity.
It could have been the case that only few employees will disturb each other and hence there is overall increase in the productivity. i.e Plan will work.

Taking Option B
Supervisors made them achieve the increase in productivity. My doubt is the same effect may or may not have on every employee. i.e Isn't we are assuming that what works for a small sample will work for overall group, and hence it will improve productivity. It could have been the case that employees like to work without Supervisor pressure and hence volunteering from supervisor may have an negative effect on the productivity.

You have to cast doubt on the plan, not make it fail for certain. Strengthen/weaken questions strengthen or weaken the conclusion; they don't prove/disprove the conclusion for certain.

While considering option (C), of course there are assumptions that must hold for the plan to fail. But the option (C) provides reason to doubt that the plan will work. The language of (C) makes it quite clear "has allowed ... work two hours alone each day ... relatively undisturbed ...". Think of it from a practical viewpoint and it makes sense. Think you are apart of this plan and then you get info given in (C). Wouldn't you doubt your plan? That's all you need to do - doubt it, not make it fail.
Now think what happens if you get the info given in (B). Does it make you doubt your plan or would you be more comfortable in going ahead with it? The info in (B) doesn't spoil your plan in any way. Whether the plan will actually work or not, only time will tell.

Also, don't obsess on any one question. Try to understand it and then move on. If some doubts linger, other examples will help out. In Quant, everything is clear cut and perfect. In Verbal, there will always be ifs and buts.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 22:47
imhimanshu wrote:
Its an official GMAT question only. That's why, everyone is trying hard to learn something out of it..

mourinhogmat1 wrote:

Let's talk with some facts here. It's not an official GMAT question but a score-top question, which is banned by GMAC.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10462825/VE ... T-SETS--21

I have solved OG11 and OG12 problems and I don't remember seeing this question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 04:22
Thanks Karishma for the explanation.
In the Veritas CR Book, an excellent TIP is given i.e on few questions you need two different thought process. One thought process kills the OOS options and the other thought process helps you in evaluating the correct choice out of two. Below explanation by you does that only. The language also plays a role in killing one choice.

Also, I was making sure that I am not missing anything, that's y I asked my doubt. Thanks for the explanation again. :-)
Thanks

imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Karishma,

Taking Option C

Taking Option B

You have to cast doubt on the plan, not make it fail for certain. Strengthen/weaken questions strengthen or weaken the conclusion; they don't prove/disprove the conclusion for certain.

While considering option (C), of course there are assumptions that must hold for the plan to fail. But the option (C) provides reason to doubt that the plan will work. The language of (C) makes it quite clear "has allowed ... work two hours alone each day ... relatively undisturbed ...". Think of it from a practical viewpoint and it makes sense. Think you are apart of this plan and then you get info given in (C). Wouldn't you doubt your plan? That's all you need to do - doubt it, not make it fail.
Now think what happens if you get the info given in (B). Does it make you doubt your plan or would you be more comfortable in going ahead with it? The info in (B) doesn't spoil your plan in any way. Whether the plan will actually work or not, only time will tell.

Also, don't obsess on any one question. Try to understand it and then move on. If some doubts linger, other examples will help out. In Quant, everything is clear cut and perfect. In Verbal, there will always be ifs and buts.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 04:29
You want to talk about facts.. here it is, especially for you. Check attachment.
Besides, there are other sources also to find Official problems than OG 11 and 12. Put your efforts in googling them rather than searching an odd question.

Thanks
H

mourinhogmat1 wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

mourinhogmat1 wrote:

Let's talk with some facts here. It's not an official GMAT question but a score-top question, which is banned by GMAC.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10462825/VE ... T-SETS--21

I have solved OG11 and OG12 problems and I don't remember seeing this question.

Attachments

SaleCo.JPG
SaleCo.JPG [ 68.54 KiB | Viewed 4040 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 20:53
Thanks great to know. I still think it reinforces my point that because of scoretop its now a GMATPrep "open for all question". We wouldn't have had to gone through all this banter if someone had mentioned the source.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 166

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 02:59

For weakening questions, we need to attack the conclusion.The correct answer choice will not simply contradict the conclusion. Instead, the correct answer will undermine the conclusion, by showing that the conclusion fails to account for some element or possibility.

We are not concerned knowing which are the least or most productive hours. We are concerned with the relation between working 4 days a week and increased productivity
This is a strengthener.
If employees work better when work is assigned by others, then this new plan imposed by an other person ( here president) can also make everyone productive
This answer choice finds a gap.This answer points to show that the conclusion in the stimulus has failed to account for the possibility that the most productive employees may be productive because they got to work two hours alone each day in their respective offices relatively undisturbed by fellow employees.Now, if everyone works 10 hours a day, no one will be able to work alone any time , and hence there is a high chance that no one will be productive any more.
We are not discussing compensation here. We are talking about how everyone can be productive.
This may be true. But this choice does not discuss how the four days a week work schedule for all will impact everyone's productivity

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 97

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 18:37
Karishma

Can this be considered a 700 level because it is very tricky

Thanks

ykaiim wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Re: An overwhelming proportion of the most productive employees   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2012, 18:37