Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 14:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An unusual profile !!! inputs??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

An unusual profile !!! inputs?? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 06:57
hi,

planning to apply for the class of 2007 and wanted views on ones profiles ( i think it is unsual).

m/27/indian - graduated from the top law school in India (with hons, published a book etc.etc.) and by quirk of fate was recruited into a group leadership program of one of indias leading business groups. have been with them for the the last 4 years.

3 years in marketing - launched a steel retail brand - set in place a sales team, developed systems etc. sales grew by 45% yoy, also was functionally responsible for a team of 23 sales managers (did not report to me - but was did control part of their action - as all brand managers would wish)

currently in the groups hotel companies, in business development - look after the role of setting up new properties and development of new assets/products for the chain - responsible for sri lanka, maldives and parts of india.

also did misc. stuff such as worked in a steel plant - part of and then subsequently ran a team that worked on optimising steel production and lowering of costs.

member of an initiative headed by the CII (the indian industry body) - to connect and develop young managers of tomorrow. love cooking, a confirmed foodie and jazz.

the basic question after all that rambling is .......

keen on getting into general management, want to get my hand dirty, not keen on IB or MC. planning to take gmat in oct - targetting 700 + (who wouldn;t), want to know if the profile, can get any attention at:

1. harvard 2. wharton 3. kellog 4. insead 5. duke

ofcourse essays have a major role -

your views
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 07:46
Expert's post
Wow, yours sounds like a pretty impressive background. In fact, the very first thought that ran through my head was whether some b-schools might look at your profile and wonder, "Why does he need an MBA now? He's already accomplished a lot." So, that will be something that you really need to think about and be able to explain in your essays and interview.

But overall, based on this info, it sounds like you have a compelling story to tell. I think your chances of getting into a top-five school are very good. As I've said here before, I think that Indian males have a harder time than most simply because so many of them apply every year, but your background stands out.

BTW, you might want to consider a one-year program, such as what Kellogg offers. Even though you don't have a lot of undergraduate business coursework (not that you mentioned, anyway), your real-world experience may make you eligible. Applying to a program like that might ease some adcomms' fears about your being "overqualified" at this point in your career. Just something to think about.

Best,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 23:00
impressive - maybe because, one is selling an image - but then thats what b- school essay need to highlight right? dont think i am overqualified - have a lots to learn.

interesting point that you have raised on why an MBA - well frankly because i think i lack the skills to be an effective manager - have learnt skills on the job, but think that they are not adequate - this has not been reflected in any review of my performance (many are suprised that i am not an MBA) - but still think that i need to learn skills, get a grounding in basics (you were right to assume that i had no business courses in undergrad) - learnt stuff on the job. I strongly believe that skills esp. like fin, need to be taught in a structured manner - marketing etc. is something that a person can learn, pick up. but still needs a grounding

the other reason is that i need to supplement my law degree - it would, i assume make corporate mobility easier. also the usual spiel about broadning horizons etc.

have often debated over a 1 year and a 2 year program - while a 1 year program would be ideal (cost benefit analysis) a 2 year program gives me the ability to understand my life and futuer course of action better.

but it is an interesting point raised by you - will evaluate. also given that i am an indian male - do things get that difficult - does this profile help. and what are chances (diffuclt to estimate i guess - but still) at Harvard/Wharton
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2004, 07:35
Expert's post
Yeah, your profile definitely helps to set you apart from other men applying from India, based on what I've seen. If you'd said that you're a tech consultant, it would be a lot harder!

I honestly can't put a number on your chances at Harvard or Wharton, but I will say that you stand a good chance of getting into a top-ten program, assuming that your essays come together well. You have a lot of good experience, and your profile is somewhat unique. I hate to leave it at that, but it's hard to really judge anyone's chances without seeing their completed essays, etc.

Best of luck,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 02:24
thanks for the inputs - understand that difficult for anyone to predict whether H/W or anyother school for that matter (if only life was that easy).

on a side note - was keen on understanding what does an harvard admit have - qualities - leadership, i understand, but there must be some other qualities that they are looking for, esp. when it comes to indians

any views
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 08:42
Expert's post
Ha ha... The million dollar question!

Well, first of all, don't brush aside the leadership thing. A lot of people say, "Yeah, I have to show leadership in my app," and then utterly fail to do so. Did you make a difference in your workplace in your community? Because of you, did something happen that absolutely wouldn't have been accomplished if you weren't around? Or were you simply following instructions and doing a good job? The latter isn't leadership. And while adcomms would like to take you at your word when you say "I'll be a good leader once I'm given a chance to lead," they're really only going to be interested in people who sought out leadership opportunities and made things happen.

Besides that, HBS is looking for interesting people who will contribute unique points of view in the classroom. And they want people who understand the value of business school. Again, this is where applicants miss. They think, "Yeah, I need to learn finance and all of that," but HBS (like all schools) likes to think of itself as a place where people undergo life-changing transformations. And HBS wants to see why you value a general-management education, more so than a specific education in finance or marketing or whatever.

In the end, there really are magic words that will make your application a sure thing. I wish that weren't the best answer that I can give you, but it is. Good luck.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 20:45
thanks - appreciate all that you have put across, makes a lot of sense. that transition thing "life changing" as you put it for HBS - puts things in perspective.

will be bothering you later on in the app season - now need to concentrate on my gmat prep.

till later