Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An Uplifting Tale for the Average Test Taker

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

An Uplifting Tale for the Average Test Taker [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 14:38
Hi everybody!

Now that I have submitted all of my B-school applications. I am hopeful that my story will function as an uplifting tale for those who aren’t necessarily shooting for those 750 level scores.

Goal: 660. this was probably in the 40% of my target school, but I felt like a 660 coupled with a 3.55 gpa would give me a puncher's chance of getting in.
Study Time: 2 Months
Average Hours/Day: 2-4
Study Materials
- Princeton Review
- MGMAT: Number Properties
- MGMAT: Word Translations
- MGMAT: Equations
- MGMAT: Geometry
- MGMAT: Ipad Flash card app

Practice Tests: You will find each of my practice tests below, with my thoughts after each one. In general, I studied everyday of the week but Sundays. Sundays I took a practice test in the morning, and watched American Football all afternoon.

1. Princeton Review 1: 610
Thoughts: No studying, took it cold turkey. About what I expected.

2. GMAT Prep #1: 640
Thoughts: Woohoo!!! 2 weeks in and already up to 640. I felt great and maybe I was underselling myself in my previous goal. We'll see...

3. Princeton Review 2: 590
Thoughts: So long Princeton Review tests. I think I got a 39 on the quant even though I got 33 of 37 questions correct, including the first 12. I don't know why the test wouldn't give me 600 or 700 level tests, but I quit using their practice tests after this.

4. MGMAT 1: 670, Q43 V38
Thoughts: It wasn't a totally accurate score, because I actually quit about 3/4th the way through the Quant. I didn't realize at the time that MGMAT is known for some crazy challenging quant questions. I continued the test later that evening, and was shocked to see a 670. Now I definitely knew I was underselling myself, or so I thought...

5. MGMAT 2: 610, Q40 V34
Thoughts: Talk about demoralizing. I've been studying for over a month, I have less then a month till test day. And I dropped the exact same score I got when I went in cold turkey. I hate you GMAT.

6. MGMAT 3: 680, Q43 V39
Thoughts: Slightly more relieved, but I still couldn't get the taste of the previous 610 out of my mouth. Bleh.

7. GMAT PREP #1 “retake”: 710
Thoughts: I had actually started taking the 4th MGMAT that morning, but quit because the quant questions seemed so difficult. I gave my computer a few choice words and then began a retake of the GMAT Prep #1 (I was saving GMAT #2 for the weekend before my Friday test). Great to get the 710, but I felt like I remembered quite a bit of the Verbal especially. I had two of the exact same RC passages, and was able to begin answering questions before reading the passage (although I read the passage anyways). In the end, I rationalized it as a 680/690 level score.

8. GMAT Prep #2 : 630
Thoughts: Ugh. I felt good taking this test too but seriously...UGGGGGGGGGGGGGH. A week until test date, and I got a 630...30 below my target, and even 10 below what I received two weeks in. I was pretty depressed after this, and I even went through a moderate existential crisis. UGH! I really hate you GMAT.

Pre-GMAT mindset: I could best describe my pre-gmat mindset as "Screw the GMAT." At this point I really just wanted to kill the GMAT and drink wine from it's hallowed skull. I had studied for 2 straight months, and made what I perceived to be very little progress.

I ended up taking the next week off from work, and really focused on areas where I had been making errors in the past. I concentrated mostly on quant, and tried to shore up my ability there. This week of focusing specifically on quant questions I got wrong was probably the best thing I did.

Test Day Morning: I couldn't sleep the night before (maybe got 3 total hours), but I also wasn't really nervous. I was just ready to be done with all of this. I hated the GMAT. I wanted to punch the GMAT in the face. I spent the morning playing Red Dead Redemption. Great game. My test was at 11am. The GMAT was going down.

Pump-Up Jams: Driving to the test I made a nice little pump-up playlist. I didn't want to calm myself down, I wanted to amp myself up! I suggest everyone does this. Suggested songs include: LCD Soundsystem "All my friends" and MOP "Ante Up," but you gotta pick what works for you.

Actual Test: Most of the test is a blur. I guessed on one quant question, but I generally felt pretty good. I used my breaks. I had a bottled water, goldfish crackers, and an Amp in my locker. All delicious.

Loading time between demographics section and actual score: Longest 6 seconds of my life. COME ON 660, COME ON 660, PLEASE GOD LET IT BE 660 OR ABOVE!!!!!

Final Score: 720, Q47 V42

Closing Thoughts: Jaw meet floor. I'm honestly still at a loss for words as to how I did so well. The best non-retake score I even got was a 680. Needless to say I will not be taking the GMAT again. I'm now well above my original target score, and I'm even applying to some dream schools I had previously written off. Honestly if this could happen to me, it could happen to anyone. So weird to think that a thing that could give me so much misery would eventually lead to such a fantastic conclusion. I love you GMAT.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 66

Re: An Uplifting Tale for the Average Test Taker [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 18:56
First of all, congratulations are in order!
Well done dude. However, people might find a more detailed de-brief regarding the preparation strategy helpful :)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: An Uplifting Tale for the Average Test Taker [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 08:29
Thanks! I thought about giving a more detailed de-brief. But I feel like there are so many wonderfully well-written stories on this site from people who got better scores, there just isn't much I can add in that department.

Generally speaking, I think people should have two take-aways from my story...

1. No matter how you've done on practice tests, the opportunity to do way better then you've ever done before always exists.

2. A lack of nerves or fear can really be a good thing, as long as you're still focused on the task at hand.

Thanks again for reading my story!

Quote:
First of all, congratulations are in order!
Well done dude. However, people might find a more detailed de-brief regarding the preparation strategy helpful
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

Re: An Uplifting Tale for the Average Test Taker [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 08:48
Wow, that's awesome! Congrats on the great score.
Re: An Uplifting Tale for the Average Test Taker   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2011, 08:48