Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An usually severe winter occurred in Europe after the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

An usually severe winter occurred in Europe after the [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 19:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

77% (02:03) correct 23% (01:10) wrong based on 23 sessions
An usually severe winter occurred in Europe after the continent was blanketed by a blue haze resulting from the eruption of the Laki Volcano in the European republic of Iceland in the summer of 1984. Thus, it is evident that major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become cooler than it would be otherwise

Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

The cooling effect triggered by volcanic eruptions in 1985 was counteracted by an unusual warming of Pacific waters.

There is a strong statistical link between volcanic eruptions and the severity of the rainy seasons in India

A few months ago after El Chicn's large eruption in April 1982, air temperatures throughout the region remained higher than expected, given the long-term wather trends.

The climatic effects of major volcanic eruptions can temporarily mask the general warming trend resulting from an excess of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Three months after an early springtime eruption in South America during the late 19th century, sea surface temperatures near the coast began to fall.

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 19:42
D seems like a viable option. Wait for your response. Thanks

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 19:52
alimad wrote:
D seems like a viable option. Wait for your response. Thanks

Yeah, my response is C

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 20:43
C .

>A few months ago after El Chicn's large eruption in April 1982, air >temperatures throughout the region remained higher than >expected, given the long-term wather trends

weakens the generalized conclusion
>it is evident that major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become >cooler than it would be otherwise
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 20:48
I actually vote for D as well. What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 23:44
alimad wrote:
An usually severe winter occurred in Europe after the continent was blanketed by a blue haze resulting from the eruption of the Laki Volcano in the European republic of Iceland in the summer of 1984. Thus, it is evident that major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become cooler than it would be otherwise

Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

The cooling effect triggered by volcanic eruptions in 1985 was counteracted by an unusual warming of Pacific waters.

There is a strong statistical link between volcanic eruptions and the severity of the rainy seasons in India

A few months ago after El Chicn's large eruption in April 1982, air temperatures throughout the region remained higher than expected, given the long-term wather trends.

The climatic effects of major volcanic eruptions can temporarily mask the general warming trend resulting from an excess of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Three months after an early springtime eruption in South America during the late 19th century, sea surface temperatures near the coast began to fall.

tricky question

its between c and d but i ll chose D in this case because C sites a very specific example which took place before the event (1984) mentioned in the question stem

what is the OA for this one

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: IESE

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 00:00
This post received
KUDOS
alimad wrote:

The conclusion in this passage is based on evidence that severe winter occured after eruption of the Laki Volcano.
But from C we know that another large eruption didn't make climate cooler (the same type of evidence but with different result). From this we can assume that it is not eruption made atmosphere to become cooler.

So answer is C
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1853 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 00:33
Expert's post
Between C and D. I choose D.

C still remains possibility of correct generalization if El Chicn's large eruption is an exception from many other eruptions.
D goes deeply, saying severe winter cannot be an evidence.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP

Premium Member
Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 00:44
Hey, :lol:
The argument is weak because it makes a generalization on the basis of only one example. Any example of a volcanic eruption that was not followed by a cooling of the atmosphere weakens this argument. The example of the eruption of El Chichon in 1982, which resulted in higher than normal air temperatures, contradicts the generalization of cooler temperatures following volcanic eruptions

C Correct. This statement properly identifies a weakness in the argument

OG11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 14:59
The statement says nothing about Pacific waters. Eliminate it
Nothing about rainy seasons. Eliminate it
Correct! It's a proof that volcanic eruptions have nothing to do with atmosphere climate, or at least no direct correlation with a lower temperature.
In my opinion, it supports the statement, since it says that the eruption could indeed have a impact on the climate.
Nothing about sea temperatures
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 15:19
I agree with sondenso's explanation. I go with C too.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 17:24
A C for me too

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 23:04
Expert's post
Sondenso, what is OE for D

Unfortunately, I don't have OG right now.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP

Premium Member
Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 23:22
walker wrote:
Unfortunately, I have not OG now

Kidding! :lol:

Here you are!

D This statement supports the argument because it implies that volcanic eruptions cool the atmosphere, given that their effects mask the general warming trend.

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 00:27
Expert's post
Thanks, I just lose obvious things....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 20

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 11:46
OA for this is C.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 22:21
C in 1:28 min . i think D does nothing but strengthen the argument

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 00:11
no reasoning gap in the argument hence a defender answer option requiring a third party element here.

C does the same,comparing with a situation which didn't follow the rhetoric mentioned in the argument.

Thus C.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 331 [0], given: 109

Re: CR - winter [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 07:10
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: An usually severe winter occurred in Europe after the [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 07:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: An usually severe winter occurred in Europe after the   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2013, 07:22