Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Analysis of Arguement - Please Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Analysis of Arguement - Please Review [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 09:52
This is my first attempt of this type of essay, I usually consider myself to be a good writer, it's a lot different under pressure.

Word Count: 322
Time: 31.5 minutes

“Two of today’s best-selling brands of full-strength prescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid, Acid-Ease and Pepticaid, are now available in milder nonprescription forms. Doctors have written 76 million more prescriptions for full-strength Acid-Ease than for full-strength Pepticaid. So people who need an effective but milder nonprescription medication for the relief of excess stomach acid should choose Acid-Ease.”

--------------------------------
The intention of this argument states that there are two popular forms of stomach acid relieving medication now available in milder forms. It also states that Acid-ease is more frequently prescribed, so it should be chosen in generic form for mild stomach pain. This is flawed because the assumptions made about the conclusion present no clear evidence to support it. Therefore the argument is rather weak, sounds unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument assumes that since these drugs are the most popular on the market they are the most effective. This does not clearly link to the effectiveness rather the popular opinion of the drugs themselves. There is no evidence proving the doctors likelihood to prescribe the drug to effectiveness, therefore presenting another link in causality between the effectiveness and popularity of the drugs.

Secondly, the argument attempts to assume the generic form of either drug will be effective. This lacks evidence because it is never proven that the difference in drug forms will make mild pain disappear. It is not to be assumed that since it is a weaker form of the drug, that same drug will alleviate weaker forms of the pain.

Finally, there is no evidence shown to conclude that someone should not just choose the more powerful version of the drug if, in fact, the stomach acid was only a minor problem. Factors such as how much the drug cost in relation to the generic form, the ability to reach a doctor easily, and comparing the side effects of each drug would all present a more solid case to not choose the more powerful drug even for mild stomach acid.

This argument is unconvincing because of the above mentioned flaws not relating to the conclusion of the statement. Ultimately the argument can be strengthened by linking the mild stomach pain to the actual new forms of the medication and proving its effectiveness in an experimental setting.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 10:00
Its a good effort, but you need to familiarize yourself with some common sentences used in analyzing an argument. Your effort is missing those pharases & connectors which are attractive to reader. Also, you have emphasized on evidence only in all three paras. I think there can be a number of weak links & you can highlight those. Lastly, as you mentioned, the essay is short of words.

I hope you have gone through this great guide how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
My suggestion is to follow the steps mentioned in chineseburned guide & practice atleast 6 essays.

Best of luck & keep us posted.

Edit: Correct link updated.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 11:39
Its the same topic.
Can any body plzzz review my essay and tell me how it is and how i can improve.. exam is in 3 days :(
And also PLS rate my essay out of 6.

In the consumer-product magazine, the author claims that of the two best-selling brands of full-strength prescription medication for the relief of stomach acid, Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid non prescription medication because, doctors have written more than 76 million prescription for full strenth Acid- Ease than for full-strength Peptiacid. The author's line of reasoning is unconvincing for several reasons.

The most conspicious reasoning error in the argument is that author does not mention the total number of brands available in non presciption forms. For example, if the total number of brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach relief is only 3, then claiming two of best-selling brands is unwarranted. If the total number of brands is 1000, then two of best-selling brands supports the argument. Without compelling evidence, this assumption is not substantiated.

Secondly, the argument states that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid because doctors have written more than 76 million presciptions for Acid-Ease than for full strenth peptiacid. However, no evidence is stated to establish the causal claim in question. Moreover, the author fails to take into notice the other factors relavent for preferring Acid-Ease to Peptiacid. For instance, factors such as, the time taken by the Acid-Ease to give immediate relief, the quantity and the quality of the medicine etc are not addressed in the argument. Without ruling out other factors, it is insufficient to conclude that Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid.

Finally, the author mentions that Acid-Ease and peptiacid are the two best-selling brands for stomach acid relief. However, the author does not provide any proof that these two are the best of all other medicines for stomach relief.

Because the argument leaves several key issues, it is not sound or persuasive. To make the argument more convincing, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid. Addionally, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease and Peptiacid are the only two best-selling brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach acid relief.
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 18:26
Expert's post
Desperate123 wrote:
Its the same topic.
Can any body plzzz review my essay and tell me how it is and how i can improve.. exam is in 3 days :(

In the consumer-product magazine, the author claims that of the two best-selling brands of full-strength prescription medication for the relief of stomach acid, Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid non prescription medication because, doctors have written more than 76 million prescription for full strenth Acid- Ease than for full-strength Peptiacid. The author's line of reasoning is unconvincing for several reasons.

The most conspicious reasoning error in the argument is that author does not mention the total number of brands available in non presciption forms. For example, if the total number of brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach relief is only 3, then claiming two of best-selling brands is unwarranted. If the total number of brands is 1000, then two of best-selling brands supports the argument. Without compelling evidence, this assumption is not substantiated.

Secondly, the argument states that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid because doctors have written more than 76 million presciptions for Acid-Ease than for full strenth peptiacid. However, no evidence is stated to establish the causal claim in question. Moreover, the author fails to take into notice the other factors relavent for preferring Acid-Ease to Peptiacid. For instance, factors such as, the time taken by the Acid-Ease to give immediate relief, the quantity and the quality of the medicine etc are not addressed in the argument. Without ruling out other factors, it is insufficient to conclude that Acid-Ease is effective than peptiacid.

Finally, the author mentions that Acid-Ease and peptiacid are the two best-selling brands for stomach acid relief. However, the author does not provide any proof that these two are the best of all other medicines for stomach relief.

Because the argument leaves several key issues, it is not sound or persuasive. To make the argument more convincing, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease is more effective than peptiacid. Addionally, the author would have to provide evidence that Acid-Ease and Peptiacid are the only two best-selling brands in milder non presciption forms for stomach acid relief.
Hi Desperate123,

This gets a 4 out of 6. Structurally, you did very well in organizing your thoughts. And, your writing is good. However, your logic needs a little polish to hit the highest scores! Be very particular about declaring something the "most conspicuous" flaw, for starters. If the flaw you identified ISN'T the most conspicuous, you're in trouble--in fact, the '4' essay in the Official Guide gets specifically called out on this. Here, causal issues about the number of pills sold (Why were they prescribed more? How much were they advertised, how long were they on the market, what side effects do they have, etc.) and representativeness issues (how much milder are each of the two medicines? How much does a reduced dose negatively impact the effect of each medicine?) are much more "conspicuous" than the valid, but less central, assumptions about nonprescription competitors. And, your 4th paragraph almost hit the most important flaw--that "best-selling" is not "best!"--but ended up getting distracted by other medicine, and important but secondary concern.

Make sure you prioritize assumptions. Which assumptions hinge on which other assumptions, which are easily proved and which are completely unfounded? Explore the most important flaws first, and in more detail, to improve your scores!

Regards,

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 06:48
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Desperate123 wrote:
Its the same topic.

Hi Desperate123,

This gets a 4 out of 6. Structurally, you did very well in organizing your thoughts. And, your writing is good. However, your logic needs a little polish to hit the highest scores! Be very particular about declaring something the "most conspicuous" flaw, for starters. If the flaw you identified ISN'T the most conspicuous, you're in trouble--in fact, the '4' essay in the Official Guide gets specifically called out on this. Here, causal issues about the number of pills sold (Why were they prescribed more? How much were they advertised, how long were they on the market, what side effects do they have, etc.) and representativeness issues (how much milder are each of the two medicines? How much does a reduced dose negatively impact the effect of each medicine?) are much more "conspicuous" than the valid, but less central, assumptions about nonprescription competitors. And, your 4th paragraph almost hit the most important flaw--that "best-selling" is not "best!"--but ended up getting distracted by other medicine, and important but secondary concern.

Make sure you prioritize assumptions. Which assumptions hinge on which other assumptions, which are easily proved and which are completely unfounded? Explore the most important flaws first, and in more detail, to improve your scores!

Regards,

Thank you soo much for the review.. I will keep these points in mind and start writing few more essays.. One question.. Do i have to give examples for each assumption ??
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 07:36
Expert's post
Desperate123 wrote:

Thank you soo much for the review.. I will keep these points in mind and start writing few more essays.. One question.. Do i have to give examples for each assumption ??

yes, this is a must! Every assumption needs examples of who it could be proven true or false--though they don't need to be real world examples, hypotheticals and what-ifs are fine too!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: Analysis of Arguement - Please Review   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2012, 07:36