Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 17:37
That is exactly right. You can simulate a full test - say do 15 SC , 15 CR and 11 RC in 75 mts. It even looks similar to the real gmat interface. Certainly better off practicing off the screen than on paper, cos the real gmat will be on the screen.

Good luck.

vksunder wrote:
Thanks a lot :| BSD! I think the software is a great tool to prepare under a timed env. What say?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 17:44
Later - Have a good night!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 08:09
BSD,

What are your thoughts regarding MGMT CR vs Powescore GMAT CR Bible. I'm confused as to which one to go with.

Later!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 08:18
I was thinking D, but can see why B is a good answer, although I do not think that B is the "best" answer.

In B, the company doesn't want the consumers to know about the new technology and the logic of the OE is that if technology is news, then consumers will learn about it. My argument against this, and for D, is that people learning of new technology doesn't matter unless they are more inclined to delay purchase for the new technology. It still swings on consumer choice about when to purchase, which is the focus of D.

In D, if a consumer makes only a few tech purchases per year, the company doesn't want to give the consumer a reason to delay either of those purchases. So, by delaying the announcement, the company can capitalize on the consumers' 1 or 2 tech purchases in that year, rather than induce them to wait for newer, better technology.

walker wrote:
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale. So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst's main assertion?

A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.
E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

My question is how it is close to real GMAT

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Stockholm School of Economics (MSc Finance) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 04:00
B and E were my two first choices. but i see that B is best answer
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 05:53
some how i m not convinced with B

Main Assertion is
if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

A) question here is new product and not about new technology...so it is out of scope

B) this actually contradicts the statement from the para
But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale.
hence not correct

C)question is not about differentiating about the old and new technologies..so out of scope

D) it can be remotely linked to it....because if some one is stopping to buy the current one because he has heard about new product and want to buy it...so the current product sale would be affected ..isnt it?

E) Loyalty is out of scope again..

so i think i am going with D.....

guys please prove me wrong with more detailed explanation ... i want to learn...so prove me wrong..

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 17:30
ok..D supports the assertion but B does it more..
D focuses on people who make frequent purchases..BUT unless they have information about the new product/technology, they wont buy it..Hence, the issue starts from the news about the planned launch..

So ans B..
it took me a lot of time to answer this one!

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 09:37
B it is. I think i had seen this on MGMAT
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 09:48
Guys, look at B like this - B is trying to state that media outlets help in passing a company's announcement of a new technology to the masses and they often do so when the old devices are still on sale. From this I know that if a company desires to announce upcoming sales of a new device - it will surely reach the masses and hence become detrimental to the sales of older products. Hence, we have support for the analysts main point that the company "should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline."

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 04:35
Over n over it..b seems correct

Posted from my mobile device Image

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 09:40
(A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
(B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
(C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
(D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.
(E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

B is the only option that strengthens the notion that announcing a new iteration could impact the previous versions sales. If the media outlets announced the new version after the previous versions sales already started to decline it wouldn't be that impactful on overall sales. Thus the media is prematurely announcing new products impacting current generations sales figures.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 14

Tough and indirect CR [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 00:54
Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a constant stream of new devices to the market, and many of them enjoy commercial success. But announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire. Once consumers hear about the new device, they may stop buying the one currently on sale. So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst's main assertion?

A)New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.

B)Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.

C)Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.

D)Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.

E)Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

Please explain. :boom

:wall

---Winners do it differently---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:27
B is the best of the worst--not excitingly convincing though.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:43
I think what B does is that it kind of shows the extreme case of what would happen if the company did announce the new technology early. So, on top of just a whacko customer jump ship situation, we have the media which would exaggerate the situation by announcing to the whole world.

But yeah it seems like a weird question not really GMAT like.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 75

Re: Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 06:12
IMO B
the only problem in introducing a new tech product into the market is that it would hamper the sales of already existing product (introduced recently and making good money).
The "planned introduction" of the new product will create a new interest among the consumers( which will give a way to the upcoming product) also the sales of existing products will not decline.

This could be an ideal GMAT question because i believe that it is sensible enough and forces the test takers to think pragmatically.(what if you are launching the product in similar situation or how will you react as a consumer).

Hope this works.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 10:36
just use POE,

we need to find "why the companies should wait till the sales of present technology product declines"?

because : If the reports about the new product were to come out in TV and magazines while the present product sales are still strong,
people would stop buying the present product and would wait for the new one to come. Hence it will affect the sales of the present product, sales of which could have still gone on for quite some time!

take the case of IPADs!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 19:55
walker wrote:
MGMAT

I also can't digest the fact that B is the correct answer even after reading OE :?

Hi Walker,
First of all thank you for such a nice question. It's kind of weird that I almost always answer the hardest questions in verbal right and in a shorter time than it's needed for a simple question! But, for normal question I need more time and the probability of getting a right answer is lower! Maybe it's interesting for you to hear that I always gained higher marks in tougher courses such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism!! (As I graduated in Physics), and here is my reason for choosing B:
To me the word “wish” plays a critical role in order to illustrate that companies currently suffer form an issue which is the advertising of new technology-based devices simultaneously with older devices. To strengthen (support) this assertion B is parallel to what is stated in terms of implying the same issue by showing another scenario. “Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong” this situation induce the issue to be unsolved.
E is wrong because if consumers continue their loyalty by buying new technology devices, they will buy the last technology launched. Imagine you are a patronize customer of Apple; if they launch iPad2 and simultaneously they announce that two month later they will unveil the most powerful tablet in the world (supposed this as an advertisement) and they called it iPad3, you as a loyal customer already bought iPad2, cause you are a loyal customer and buy every new device of Apple, and you also will go to buy iPad3 to stay loyal to Apple. Therefore, Apple won’t face any issue and it contradicts to what is implied by analyst.
Hope to clarify something.
My quote: “Whatever we have is the result of our previous pondering, and whatever we don't possess it yet is the consequence of our thought deprivation.”
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tepper '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
GRE 1: 314 Q166 V148
GPA: 3.44
WE: Operations (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 04:59
walker wrote:

(A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.
(B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong.
(C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.
(D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases.
(E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

My question is how it is close to real GMAT

We need to strengthen this one. I would say this was too easy for real GMAT :-D

(A) New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales. Neutral (Neither Strengthen nor weaken)
(B) Media outlets, such as television programs and magazines, often report on the planned introduction of new devices while the sales of old devices are still strong. Strengthen(More focus on new tech, causing an increase in new tech sales and decrease in old tech sales)
(C) Many consumers are unable to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.(Neutral) people are confused to choose among technologies.
(D) Surveys have shown that some consumers make only one or two technology purchases per year, whereas others make more frequent purchases. Not related. the time-scale of one year doesn't help at all.
(E) Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using. (Weaken), Loyality is Support for old tech.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - Tech Toys [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 09:17
walker wrote:
MGMAT

I also can't digest the fact that B is the correct answer even after reading OE :?

Can someone explain to me why the answer cannot be A?

"New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales."

If new technology becomes less expensive, then these new devices become more attractive to purchase and therefore the sales of old ones dip. Where am I going wrong?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 09:19
Conclusion -- So, if a company wishes to announce the upcoming sale of a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Question --Which of the following, if true, would best support the analyst's main assertion

Answer Choice B --- supports the main conclusion by stating that that media outlets also think (report) the same way that new devices should be introduced in a planned way when sales of old devices are still strong.-----supporting the conclusion.

No answer choice apart from B support the conclusion, other choices are either out of scope or weakens the conclusion.
Re: Analyst: The pace of technological development brings a   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2013, 09:19