Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 09:31
ajit257 wrote:
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low
ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually
administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and
technology.

A. Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus
B. Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on
C. In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on
D. Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus
E. In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on

I am confused between the usage of has or have
Will provide OA later

What's wrong with D?

Media analyses (Plural) ... have had ... but they ...

Sounds good to me
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 543

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 06:52
Good question! Very tricky

Takeaway:

Always read the entire sentence and see what the pronouns are referring to!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 73

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 05:27
gamatack wrote:
ajit257 wrote:
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low
ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually
administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and
technology.

I am confused between the usage of has or have
Will provide OA later

What's wrong with D?

Media analyses (Plural) ... have had ... but they ...

Sounds good to me

Can one of the experts explain whats wrong with D?

You've been walking the ocean's edge, holding up your robes to keep them dry. You must dive naked under, and deeper under, a thousand times deeper! - Rumi

http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nprep-com/ - This is worth its weight in gold

Economist GMAT Test - 730, Q50, V41 Aug 9th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 670, Q45, V36 Aug 11th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 680, Q47, V36 Aug 17th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 1 - 770, Q50, V44 Aug 24th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 690, Q45, V39 Aug 30th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 710, Q48, V39 Sep 13th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 2 - 740, Q49, V41 Oct 6th, 2013

GMAT - 770, Q50, V44, Oct 7th, 2013
My Debrief - from-the-ashes-thou-shall-rise-770-q-50-v-44-awa-5-ir-162299.html#p1284542

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 05:35
Transcendentalist wrote:

refer here for your doubt:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gma ... 10268.html

hope it helps..

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 543

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 06:17
Transcendentalist wrote:

D changes the meaning of the sentence and the phrasing have had as a focus doesn't sound right...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 20:58
Can anyone explain why D is incorrect here?

Media can very well be either singular or plural. D takes into account the use of "they" by using a plural subject. Also, I'm not sure how it can be reasoned in good faith that "analyses" cannot focus or ignore.

I just can't see why D is the wrong option. Since media can take either a plural or singular verb, while analyses must take a plural verb, is D not the more fool proof option?

I have read everything in this thread and the MGMAT thread. The common line is that the analyses cannot "overlook" something. However, can we not say "his analysis of the problem overlooks several key factors...." Is that not a correct sentence?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 54

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 23:57
This post received
KUDOS
forevertfc wrote:
Can anyone explain why D is incorrect here?

Media can very well be either singular or plural. D takes into account the use of "they" by using a plural subject. Also, I'm not sure how it can be reasoned in good faith that "analyses" cannot focus or ignore.

I just can't see why D is the wrong option. Since media can take either a plural or singular verb, while analyses must take a plural verb, is D not the more fool proof option?

I have read everything in this thread and the MGMAT thread. The common line is that the analyses cannot "overlook" something. However, can we not say "his analysis of the problem overlooks several key factors...." Is that not a correct sentence?

Before we start looking at the options, let's do some pre-thinking and remove modifiers and prep phrases (that are not underlined)

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and technology.

Also, the subject of the second independent clause is plural, and hence media must be plural.

Wrong option as media is singular. Doesn't agree with the question stem.

they seem to refer to analyses. Wrong.
The media have focused on X, but they have overlooked Y - perfect construction with SV agreeing in number. Also, the co-ordinating conjunction 'but' separates the independent clauses well. No issues.
they refers to media analyses and hence this choice is wrong. How can media analyses overlook the cost of actually administering elections ? So D, is wrong.
SV error again

Hope this is clear.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 15:22
sivasanjeev wrote:
they refers to media analyses and hence this choice is wrong. How can media analyses overlook the cost of actually administering elections ? So D, is wrong.

Here is a correct answer choice from an MGMAT CAT

"A recent study has found that most eligible American workers fail to make the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans; among the explanations cited are increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning on the workers' part, and excess complexity in the plans themselves."

The prompt was as follows:

"Citing increasing worker mobility between companies, poor financial planning by workers, and finding that the plans themselves are excessively complex, the authors of a recent study have found that most eligible American workers had not made the maximum allowed contribution to their employer-offered retirement plans."

How is what we are talking about any different? How can "a recent study" find something, yet "media analyses" cannot overlook?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 29

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 09:28
Can someone please shed some more light on options C & D.Specifically,why is D wrong?
(I agree C is better if we consider 'media' as plural)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2053 [0], given: 677

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 11:53
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 62

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 23:41
dreamchase wrote:
There is nothing wrong with D.

And I am surprised how AdamKnewton has missed the point by far, and people now are not thinking about it.
This should come under the category of "controversial", as putting D as an option is fairly illogical here.

Coming to media, in standard english, even terms such as 'jury' ,'çrowd' sometimes take the plural verb; but GMAT categorically considers them singular.

How "media" suddenly become plural here ?

agreed,I'm very suspect about the source of this question.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 54

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 01:16
samsmalldog wrote:
dreamchase wrote:

And I am surprised how AdamKnewton has missed the point by far, and people now are not thinking about it.
This should come under the category of "controversial", as putting D as an option is fairly illogical here.

Coming to media, in standard english, even terms such as 'jury' ,'çrowd' sometimes take the plural verb; but GMAT categorically considers them singular.

Please read analyzing-campaign-expenditures-the-media-has-had-as-a-107556-20.html#p1316423

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 01:59
sivasanjeev wrote:
samsmalldog wrote:
dreamchase wrote:

Please read analyzing-campaign-expenditures-the-media-has-had-as-a-107556-20.html#p1316423

Thanks pal,I read your post before,C is the best choice here but I still wondering whether media should be plural. One of the rule in GMAT is that such word is considered to be singular,but in this sentence, we have no choice.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 54

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
samsmalldog wrote:
Thanks pal,I read your post before,C is the best choice here but I still wondering whether media should be plural. One of the rule in GMAT is that such word is considered to be singular,but in this sentence, we have no choice.

Well buddy, GMAT is not an exam based on rules alone. GMAT is about logic or your understanding (within the framework or the context of the question stem)

read this, http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/ ... lural.html
Whether 'media' is singular or plural is highly inconclusive, better worry about the context than wrestling over the word (in true sense)

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 06:54
sivasanjeev wrote:
samsmalldog wrote:

Well buddy, GMAT is not an exam based on rules alone. GMAT is about logic or your understanding (within the framework or the context of the question stem)

read this, http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/ ... lural.html
Whether 'media' is singular or plural is highly inconclusive, better worry about the context than wrestling over the word (in true sense)

Thanks,you are right :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 43

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 07:32
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and technology.

C. In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on....APPEARS CORRECT.... EXCEPT FOR THE " HAVE"......
D.Media analysesof campaign expenditureshave hadas a focus
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2014, 07:32