Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 12:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [2] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 16:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

59% (01:39) correct 40% (00:39) wrong based on 169 sessions
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low
ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually
administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and
technology.

A. Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus
B. Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on
C. In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on
D. Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus
E. In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on

I am confused between the usage of has or have
Will provide OA later
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

2 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Schools: BA New School, PhD Candidate CUNY
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 50 [2] , given: 0

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 16:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think what's cool about this question is you don't need to be 100% certain of has/have to be tempted by the right answer. The modifying clause at the beginning is made clearer, and the main verb is simplified. Stylistically, it's a much better choice.

Here's a hint on how to be sure about whether "media" is singular/plural: Do you see another singular/plural world, in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, that tells us the number of "media" as used here?

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

View Knewton's latest discount for GMAT Club members.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 16:17
Hi Adam.....you nailed it ....its the word media that led me to choose a wrong ans. I do see expenditures as plural. How do you suggest i tackle this..thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Knewton GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 16:28
Again, there's another word later on that tells us whether "media" is singular or plural. Once you see this, there's no longer any question.

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 16:34
ah !..have focussed on high costs !

Ajit

3 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 50 [3] , given: 0

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 16:37
This post received
KUDOS
The clue I'm actually talking about is the pronoun "they" later in the sentence. They is plural, and it's not underlined, and it without question refers to the "media." Thus, MEDIA IS PLURAL, so if media is the subject, it must be "have."

Whenever you have a confusion over subject/verb, look for a pronoun clue; whenever you have confusion over pronoun/antecedent, look for a verb clue. It doesn't always work, but sometimes there's extra info dropped for you there!

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 16:39
great ...it makes a lot of sense. Thanks Adam.

Ajit

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 11

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 01:47
IMO C .

media is plural and requires usage of have.

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1372 [3] , given: 245

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 06:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
By focusing only on the number of the word ‘media’, a larger issue has been ignored.

C refers to ‘media’ as plural while D maintains the plurality by referring to the subject as media analyses, Some may debate that it is the media that can analyse and focus and not the analyses by themselves. This is an aberrant proposition, because in any survey or study or report, it is the people behind that do the action, although we do mention that the survey reveals, study indicates and report points out and so on.

But still, can we equate media with media analyses? Logically yes, but not contextually, I suppose. The original text keeps the media as the subject. So C must be the answer for not distorting the subject.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 14:46
Thanks Adam for the explanation. I will look out for clues beyond the underlined part. For some reason, I seem to rule the non-underlined part out. I will practise not to.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 16:13
Thanks Adam! Its D for me as well.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 20:16
+1 C

"...has had as a focus" sounds ackward, doesn't it?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 21:31
metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

"...has had as a focus" sounds ackward, doesn't it?

Yes and it's grammatically incorrect as well ... I am curious though if "Have had as a focus" can be accepted if all other choices are wrong grammatically

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1372 [0], given: 245

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 23:28
Expert's post
True- the textual ‘the media has had as a focus' is grammatically wrong because of number disagreement.

However the issue here is whether choice D is correct. If that choice were to be discussed in an independent context, I would say it is a perfect sentence with a plural subject and a plural verb. But if the topic were a GMAT question, and if there were serious grammatical errors in choices ABCE, leaving only D as the best of the bads, then we may have to reconcile to D in spite of the distorted intent. In GMAT can you skip a question? You won't get the next question.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 20

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 18:15
ajit257 wrote:
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low
ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually
administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and
technology.

A. Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus
B. Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on
C. In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on
D. Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus
E. In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on

'they have' in the non-underlined part, explains that media is plural,
So A, B, E are out.
I am not sure about 'as a focus' in D.
C looks better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 15:37
The choice is pretty clear here -- C.

But on a related note on Latin plurals...It's always tricky with words like MEDIA, DATA and so on. The plural usage is usually considered standard in the academic circles -- but I doubt GMAT will test this stuff. GMAT questions usually tend to be full proof.

This question of course clearly states that "media are" in the non-underlined section.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 17:47
DevilDoggNC wrote:
The choice is pretty clear here -- C.

But on a related note on Latin plurals...It's always tricky with words like MEDIA, DATA and so on. The plural usage is usually considered standard in the academic circles -- but I doubt GMAT will test this stuff. GMAT questions usually tend to be full proof.

This question of course clearly states that "media are" in the non-underlined section.

Yes, I was pretty stumped too at first reviewing my answers, since my SC auto alert had come on as soon as it saw a collective noun being used (media).

However, words like MEDIA and DATA are very tricky, since we rarely use their singular forms in this context (yes, these words are plural). The singular for Media is of course Medium (which is never used in the similar context) and the singular for Data (Datum) is also rarely used outside strictly scientific circles. These latin words can trick you up, but in this question (much to my detriment) the GMAT gave other clues in the non-underlined stem, that many miss.

However, I believe that the GMAT will usually always treat DATA as plural as well. I think I may have seen an example or two in the OG where DATA is used in its correct plural form.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 18:25
+1 for C.

A tricky question indeed.

Crick
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 07:44
Thank AdamKnewton,

Initially, I have confusion between eliminate answer choice based on 'focus on/focus' or 'have/has'. Your hint helps me out. C is my final answer choice. Just look broader :D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 26

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 05:17
There is nothing wrong with D.

And I am surprised how AdamKnewton has missed the point by far, and people now are not thinking about it.
This should come under the category of "controversial", as putting D as an option is fairly illogical here.

Coming to media, in standard english, even terms such as 'jury' ,'çrowd' sometimes take the plural verb; but GMAT categorically considers them singular.

How "media" suddenly become plural here ?

The chase begins ...

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2012, 05:17