Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anchoring the organelles in place, the tasks that are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 108 [1] , given: 43

Anchoring the organelles in place, the tasks that are [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:20) correct 32% (01:24) wrong based on 34 sessions
Anchoring the organelles in place, the tasks that are performed by the cytoskeleton within a cell's structure are crucial, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and microtubules, it maintains cell polarity.

a. the tasks that are performed by the cytoskeleton within a cell's structure are crucial, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and

b. the cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks in a cell's structure, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and containing

c. the cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks within the structure of a cell, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and

d. the tasks being performed within a cell's structure by the cytoskeleton are crucial, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and

e. the cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks within a cell's structure, and it is composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and

Can anyone please explain why E is not correct? and when is it OK to remove the Possession?
Does the use of possession considered concise? I am really confused about when is it OK to use it and when it is not..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - Possession [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 01:57
I went for E but later realized that noun 'it' represents is ambiguous...

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 43

Re: SC - Possession [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 02:19
It seems like the reason why E is wrong is ambiguity. I also picked E in my first try.
Still I'm confused regarding the possession part.

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Possession [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 03:28
Anchoring the organelles in place, the tasks that are performed by the cytoskeleton within a cell's structure are crucial, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and microtubules, it maintains cell polarity.

I guess if we look at a simplified version of this sentence the difference between option C & E will be clearer.

cytoskeletons anchor the organelles in place, cytoskeletons are composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and microtubules and because they are composed of these components cytoskeletons maintain cell polarity .

Option E changes the meaning and states that cytoskeletons composition and cytoskeletons maintaining cell polarity are two distinct phenomena.

C correlates both the action.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - Possession [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 06:34
Yes as mentioned above it should be C
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: SC - Possession [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 07:10
Eliminate A and D as its not the tasks that is modyfying but the cycloskeleton.Down to b,c and e.Elimiante B becuase of uage of 'in a cell's structure' and not within.Moreover usage of and is wordy.remaining C and E.Rightly pointed out by Soumanag,C corelates both the actions.
Good question rafi.Kudos.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: SC - Possession [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 10:17
c. the cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks within the structure of a cell, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and

"Should there not be a verb connecting the two parts before and after the and

the cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks within the structure of a cell, and (is) composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and

Also in E it seems to be clearly refering to the cytoskeleton. Any other references that makes it ambiguous?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 11

Re: SC - Possession [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 10:40
rafi wrote:
a. the tasks that are performed by the cytoskeleton within a cell's structure are crucial, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and
b. the cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks in a cell's structure, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and containing
d. the tasks being performed within a cell's structure by the cytoskeleton are crucial, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and
e. the cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks within a cell's structure, and it is composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and

A the tasks are not composed of microfilaments ||ism error
B containing is wrong
D the tasks are not composed of microfilaments ||ism error
E here It is ambiguous. We don't need it.

C maintains ||ism . SO CORRECT
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - Possession [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 07:57
"Anchoring the organelles in place" should follow "the cytoskeleton". That leaves B, C and E.

The cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks......, and composed of X, Y and X, it mainatins cell polarity.

c. the cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks within the structure of a cell, and composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments and - CORRECT

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: SC - Possession [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 08:05
Option E is incorrect as the Antecedent of 'It' is missing.

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 291

Re: Anchoring the organelles in place, the tasks that are [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 20:59
C is indeed the best among all options but I feel the "it" in it maintains polarity is ambiguous.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 445 [1] , given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Anchoring the organelles in place, the tasks that are [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
C is indeed the best among all options but I feel the "it" in it maintains polarity is ambiguous.

C] will read :Anchoring the organelles in place{opening modifier},the cytoskeleton{Subject } performs crucial tasks within the structure of a cell and, composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments, and microtubules,(modifier), it maintains cell polarity

so the sentence structure is : opening modifier, independent clause , modifier, and +independent clause.

So it is NOT a question of ambiguity with 'it' pronoun rather a question of sentence structure.
Hope it is clear?

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 291

Re: Anchoring the organelles in place, the tasks that are [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 21:49
dentobizz wrote:
mohnish104 wrote:

C] will read :Anchoring the organelles in place{opening modifier},the cytoskeleton{Subject } performs crucial tasks within the structure of a cell and, composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments, and microtubules,(modifier), it maintains cell polarity

so the sentence structure is : opening modifier, independent clause , modifier, and +independent clause.

So it is NOT a question of ambiguity with 'it' pronoun rather a question of sentence structure.
Hope it is clear?

So are you saying that "it" could have been avoided?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 445 [1] , given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Anchoring the organelles in place, the tasks that are [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
dentobizz wrote:
mohnish104 wrote:

Hope it is clear?

So are you saying that "it" could have been avoided?

No.
I'm saying that the core sentence is 'The cytoskeleton performs crucial tasks within the structure of a cell ,and it maintains cell polarity--compound sentence with AND as the coordinating conjunction
The modifier in between commas 'composed of microfilaments, intermediate filaments, and microtubules, ---modifies cytoskeleton.

There is no ambiguity wrt the 'it' pronoun
you may read this for further clarity

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Re: Anchoring the organelles in place, the tasks that are   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2013, 21:59