Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 585

Kudos [?]: 2376 [5] , given: 32

Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:58) correct 36% (01:00) wrong based on 342 sessions
Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise as king again.
(A) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise
(B) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising
(C) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising
(D) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, to arise
(E) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [3] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Rex quondam rexque futurus [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 00:44
This post received
KUDOS
mikemcgarry wrote:
Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise as king again.
(A) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise
(B) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising
(C) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising
(D) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, to arise
(E) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise

Mike,

I always love your questions you post and find them very helpful, but I do not find this one to be of a great difficulty is it really considered 700? I did it in about 25 secs, it has very easy splits.

First off we need the "That" because we are talking about the thought/ theory/ idea about "the mythical figure" and not the mythical figure itself.

Second, again we need the idea that king Arthur will arise and come back not that he actually will be arising and coming back.

Thanks = +1 Kudos

Study from reliable sources!!

Thursdays with Ron: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Gmat Prep Questions:
CR gmatprepsc-105446.html
SC gmatprepsc-105446.html

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 301 [1] , given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: Rex quondam rexque futurus [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS
Good question Mike! Here is my analysis somewhat:

this sentence is the least ambiguous and structurally kosher. :)

the use of present participle "arising" is inappropriate here as it seems to modify the phrase "in some future time of need" :(

this option is ambiguous, for in using the infinitive, we do not know in what time context Arthur was/is king. It also has the "arising" issue found in B. :(

once again, the time context is ambiguous. :(

(E) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise[/quote]
same issue as above :(
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
GPA: 3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 6

Re: Rex quondam rexque futurus [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
macjas wrote:
Good question Mike! Here is my analysis somewhat:

this sentence is the least ambiguous and structurally kosher. :)

the use of present participle "arising" is inappropriate here as it seems to modify the phrase "in some future time of need" :(

this option is ambiguous, for in using the infinitive, we do not know in what time context Arthur was/is king. It also has the "arising" issue found in B. :(

once again, the time context is ambiguous. :(

same issue as above :([/quote]

In "D" how come the time context is ambiguous. The sentence clearly says "at one time". What's wrong with D?

get what u like or like what u get

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Schools: IIMC (I), IIM
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 30

Re: Rex quondam rexque futurus [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 01:52
This post received
KUDOS
Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure ofArthur was at one time king of all of England and,in some future time of need, will arise as king again.

Intent of the sent : Ancient legend holds 2 things ...............1. X was the king at one time................AND.................. 2. X will arise as king again in the future

Vertical scan reveals : A n somewhat D to fit the equation ( maintaining parallelism )

A : Legend holds THAT...........Arthur WAS the king.......................AND......................WILL ARISE as king again.

D : Legend holds Arthur TO BE at one time king .............AND............... TO ARISE as king again ( TO BE form..........timeless verbs doesn't reveal the timeframe when the action took place ) = So not a proper choice = Eliminated

Furthermore THAT in A = cements its choice over D.

Leading to A = my take
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2376 [1] , given: 32

Re: Rex quondam rexque futurus [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
geno5 wrote:
Mike,
I always love your questions you post and find them very helpful, but I do not find this one to be of a great difficulty is it really considered 700? I did it in about 25 secs, it has very easy splits.

Thank you for your kind words. To be honest, I am more or less guessing in the dark when I estimate the difficulty of a question I have just written. It's always hard to gauge what will seem obvious and what folks will find tricky.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2376 [1] , given: 32

Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2014, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ammuseeru wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:

Mike,
Can you help in eliminating wrong options in your way.

Regards,
Ammu

Dear Ammu,

I know I wrote this question a few years ago, but I am really not particularly happy with it. If I had to give it a grade now, I'd give it a grade of a B- of C+. It's among the first GMAT SC questions I ever wrote, and most of the questions I have written are far superior to this. Basically, this question is way too easy.

The idiom for the verb "hold" is a "that"-clause.
I hold that X is Y. = correct
Idiomatically, "hold" does not take the infinitive.
I hold X to be Y. = idiomatically incorrect
Thus, (C) & (D) & (E) are incorrect.

We also need parallelism between the two verbs --- "was" and "will arise", not "was" and "arising." Thus, (B) is wrong, and (A) is the only option left.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: Rex quondam rexque futurus [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 23:25
dheerajv wrote:
In "D" how come the time context is ambiguous. The sentence clearly says "at one time". What's wrong with D?

Hi Dheeraj, to me somehow using the construct "to be" implies something universal. "xxx is" or "xxx was" puts things in the perspective of time. This is at least how I understand it. Experts please correct me if I am wrong :)
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 1775 [0], given: 249

Re: Rex quondam rexque futurus [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 07:22
Expert's post
(A) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise ---- the first part of the sub-clause is a clause with a verb and the second one too is similar

(B) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising --- the two parts are not parallel. Arising renders the second part into a phrase; wrong

(C) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising ---- same as B; wrong

(D) The mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, to arise; to be denotes timelessness, or even contemporariness, which it is not. Past tense was is the appropriate in this case. same thing what macjas has pointed out

(E) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise--- the first part is a phrase and the second part is a clause; wrong

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Rex quondam rexque futurus [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 10:02
A is right..holds that and parallelsim are the keys

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 84

Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 00:22
Thanks for the question. I overlooked A and chose D, despite the ambiguity in time. I really was not sure on whether the usage of "holds that" is correct.

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 88

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 02:31
TO BE is most often then not is an incorrect choice (please correct me if i am wrong) , therefore , C / D/E are out.

B is wrong due to the use to "ARISING"

Correct Ans : - A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 27

Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 02:30
D should be

holds Athure to have been the king.

is that rith?

"hold sombody to do something" is correct as " hold that sombody do something"

is that right?

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2376 [0], given: 32

Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 09:15
Expert's post
vietmoi999 wrote:
D should be
holds Athure to have been the king.
is that rith?
"hold sombody to do something" is correct as " hold that sombody do something"
is that right?

Dear vietmoi999,
The construction "to hold that P did X" is perfectly correct. The construction "to hold P to do X" or "to hold P to have done X" is highly suspect ---- use of the the verb "to hold" plus the infinitive is a highly debatable construction. Some grammar experts would say it's permissible, others would say it is strictly wrong. You definitely will not see this structure as part of a correct answer on the GMAT.
Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 04:20
B: Wrong; Tense of arise is wrong. it refers to the future there should be will arise.
C: wrong; Same reason as above
E: wrong: Needs a That in the sentence to work.
A: right answer; Has will arise at end of the phrase and that at the beginning of the phrase
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 124

Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2014, 04:57
mikemcgarry wrote:

Mike,

Regards,
Ammu
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 124

Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2014, 02:11
mikemcgarry wrote:
ammuseeru wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:

Mike,

Regards,
Ammu

Dear Ammu,

I know I wrote this question a few years ago, but I am really not particularly happy with it. If I had to give it a grade now, I'd give it a grade of a B- of C+. It's among the first GMAT SC questions I ever wrote, and most of the questions I have written are far superior to this. Basically, this question is way too easy.

The idiom for the verb "hold" is a "that"-clause.
I hold that X is Y. = correct
Idiomatically, "hold" does not take the infinitive.
I hold X to be Y. = idiomatically incorrect
Thus, (C) & (D) & (E) are incorrect.

We also need parallelism between the two verbs --- "was" and "will arise", not "was" and "arising." Thus, (B) is wrong, and (A) is the only option left.

Does this make sense?

Yeah, it makes sense. Thank you Mike.

Regards,
Ammu
Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2014, 02:11