Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

and all I got was a lousy WL- advice needed please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

and all I got was a lousy WL- advice needed please [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2007, 13:50
After hundreds of hours geared toward prepping (and even more money), I shot the proverbial moon in regards to B-School.

Waitlisted:
Cornell, Yale, Dartmouth

Ding Dong-
Columbia, HBS

At first glance, you might say that this list is fairly ambitious. The fact that I am also a senior at undergrad certainly does not help. Alhtough, I possess over 1.5 years of trading and IM experience, but no one listened, <tear>. Regardless, all the feedback I have received all points toward experience.

In all of my Short term/Long Term essays, I described how I would like to eventually venture to the public sector, albeit politics etc. With this ‘failure’, I see an opportunity to become a staff assistant on Capitol Hill before reapplying after a couple of years. However, I am not sure if I would be a viable applicant for business school.

Many of my advisors have informed me to look into law school, but I am far more interested in trading and PE in the short term (5-10 years). I received a 690 (first attempt 45q, 40v) on the GMAT, 3.3 GPA, and I am African American with several leadership activities (I believe they were the reason I even received any interviews). I am confident I can score 700 and above on the GMAT to even further illuminate my capabilities. So basically: do you feel that it is possible to be accepted to a highly competitive school coming from politics/government? If so, would it require activities and recommendations extremely above the ordinary? Thanks a lot for the feedback.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes