Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

..and the struggle continues (super long)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

..and the struggle continues (super long) [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2006, 23:21
I took the GMAT the second time on Mar 23 and got a 670 ( M 39 , 58 V 42 ,96) . My initial target was to break the 700 barrier but considering that my last score was 570, it wasnt too bad.

The test center experience was good. The staff's good and helpful. So if anyone of you here are from Bangalore,India then you needn't worry ( vivek , are you hearing ?) The markers were fine, the last time I took the test I remember that they dried too fast, they were just awful but this time they were fine.

Regarding the test -

Quant - thats where I got slaughtered. I was cruising till the 12-13 th question and thats when I encountered some real tough questions. It could be possible that they seemed tough because I didn't manage time well for the first few questions. I faced modulus, inequality questions in the first 15 questions, not overly difficult. I also noticed that I got some medium difficulty questions on Coord-Geo towards the end. If you've been a regular to the Club then it shoudnt be too tough at all. The quant does not mimic the OG, the level is certainly higher in the actual test. So if anyone is too happy looking at his/her quant performance in the OG then he/she's living in a fool's paradise. Although I was aware of this , I guess its bad time management for which I had to pay the price. That said, please make sure that you dont hurry for the forst few questions, they are crucial and decisive in some ways.

Verbal- well I coudnt imagine in the world that I'd get 42 !! Well, for those of you feel that the verbal section is a tough nut to crack, thats simply not the case. I 'm not a Verbal Pro here but still managed it. For SC, just practice, practice and practice. This is an oft repeated mantra- but make sure you maintain a error log, believe me it can make a helluva difference. Dont get bogged down if you get wrong answers or if you're accuracy rate takes a beating, pick yourself up and learn because you're in a process of learning and are bound to make mistakes. RC- this used to be my archnemesis, as it has been for so many others. My first step was to do all the RC passages in the OG and read all the answer explanations. The key here is to understand how they arrived at the answer and not the answer itself. The OG explanations for OG are some of the holiest explanations you can find !! I then proceeded to do some of the GMAT passages in the big RC question-bank. I applied the same techniques to these passages without timing myself and believe me it worked. I then took timed RC tests - first 35 block questions and then blocks of 50. Once I gained confidence, I proceeded to the tougher LSAT questions in the latter part of the question bank. For RC, make sure you paraphrase what each apara says. Most oft the times, I noticed that a smple thought has been put in the most round about fashion you can ever find so basically simplify it. Keep key words in mind - they are helfulin answering "tone" questions. I found the KAPLAN Verbal book pretty good for Verbal tips. My fresh appraach at RC increaed my accuracy rate in RC from 73-75% to 87-88%. In the real test I got 5 RC passages- all with increasing difficulty and yes on GMAT where there's RC there's always women and I got one passage on them :) For CR,read them with an open mind ,make sure you arent "answer biased" and throw out all out of scope options. T noticed in the real test that it was pretty easy to spot the OOS options. There was nothing extraordinary about the CR- they were of moderate difficulty.

So far as the practice tests are concerned, I noticed that GMAT Prep provides the most accurate estimate

GMATPrep I - 660
GMATPrepII- 680

PR might overestimate your score slightly

PRI 700
PRII 690
PRIII 720

and KAPLAN is crap ! I suggest anyone taking the GMAT not to do it in the final days of your prep it can demolish all the confidence you have built

KAPLAN I - 560
KAPLAN II 580
KAPLAN III 600

although I'm pretty happy with the improvement of my score ( 100 points), I think i can do much better in quant and raise my score further. I've decided to still apply to a couple masters prog with this score.

to summarise
1.practice, practice and practice
2.Dont get bogged down by low scores- keep your spirits high
3.Be persistent in your efforts
4.Have a study plan and stick to it

would want to thank everyone on the Club, (vivek, thanks a lot for those super SC explanations you sent me) and good luck ! I'm still gonna stick around for a while here..my struggle continues.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 00:45
Congrats shahnandan

:wave

Your score is very good and you deserve the praise for the 100 points increase.. Actually you were doing well on the verbal as far as I could observe here. As for the reading, your study method is very true. The basic point is to see how you should reach the correct answer not only to get it right..

And thanks for sharing your experience with us..

All the best for you :king
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 01:55
Congrats shahnandan, that is a very good score.
And what an improvement. Your story is very encouraging and thank you for your explaining your study method as well. I was struggling with my verbal and am going to try out your strategy.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 02:39
Hello,

great improvement, indeed...well I know the quest between shall I take the test again (to show ones potential and most probably to reward oneself for the work done) or not(because it costs money, takes time etc.)

However, whatever you do give your best :D I'm curious about where you'll be accepted.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 07:35
Nandan-buddy,

Congratuations on your great show.

42V! is justsuperb. Thanks a lot for posting your comments on Verbal prep.
39Q :x - simply doesn't represent your math ability.

You can definitely get a 700+ score. Keep posting in the forums.
Good luck for your apps.

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 13:10
Congrats!!!

:gl
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 17:05
great score
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 17:29
congrats shahnandan
i envy your verabl score
:woohoo
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 20:27
Hey Nandan,

Buddy, I was waiting for your note here :-D Very well written, no doubt you will get 6 on AWA ;)

Your verbal score is cool man, it means you are on much better side, improving (or concentrating more on) maths for a person like you is going to be much easier than working on Verbal part.

I envy you dude, how about meeting up sometime over a cup of coffee? :beer

Have a great time & I'm sure you will cross 700 barrier with no doubts, take it from me!

Hello friends,
Nandan, is one person I know, who has worked really hard on verbal part. Nandan, you are definitely a role model for many of us here! Do stick around & let's help each other to realize the 700+ dream :good
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 20:56
well thanks everyone for all your wishes ! I'm sure I'll cross the 700 barrier with your support ! :)
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 00:19
:good

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 06:34
Great job shahnandan, congratulations! I'm confident you will cross 700 in no time. :-D

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 08:05
Nandan Congratulations for great work.

Your briefing is awesome. Your verbal tips are great. I have also applied similar RC approach, and my RC has improved a lot.

Thanks for nice posting.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 23:51
Congrats Shahnandan.

Spectacular rise in performance.

Best Wishes.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 03:20
your verbal score is really great, hubby!!!! I wish i could have it :) . Just try to improve your maths score, the rest will be fine :) Good lucks to you!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 23:55
Nandan,

congrats, great post, I will try to follow your advice on RC
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2006, 03:44