Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
GPA: 3.45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 46

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 21:45
I was told by adcom members they have close to 4000 applicants. A 30% increase :|
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 46

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 22:01
Ouch that blog post also says the vast majority of invites have been sent out. :|
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Web Design (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 22:38
christinemmx86 wrote:
Ouch that blog post also says the vast majority of invites have been sent out. :|

Yup .. I hate that !! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Corporate Finance (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 01:06
tigersgt wrote:
Do we know if any R1 waitlist got admitted yet?

I am also waiting for a waitlist decision... no news yet...
but I suspect that we should wait until R2 decisions are out....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 03:54
Wow 4000 applicants !! Assuming the same yield of 50%, selectivity will drop to 18-19%. That does explain the lower R1 acceptance rate knowing that some people in the waitlist will get in to hit the 18-19%.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 21

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
Some information with regards to R1 waitlisted applications being evaluated, R2 admits who have interviewed but not yet received a decision, and interview invites on the latest blog post from Anderson admissions: http://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/

Hope this helps clarify some questions.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [3] , given: 46

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Yea I'm sure the application change also has a lot to do with the increase. 1 recommendation and 1 essay is a lot less intimidating and a lot easier to sneak in last minute.

I'm no expert but here's what I'd predict:

-yield will drop slightly (it's easier to tack on as a safety now)
-the 1 essay won't allow personality to be a huge factor in the decision process (this is super unfortunate as the culture and legacy/network of its grads aren't where I think they belong) [I was interviewed at the 3 M7 schools I applied to and not at Anderson - really feel like my story had no place in their short application as it was probably what earned me an interview everywhere else]

+ rankings will be bumped up for selectivity - those GMAT's and GPA's will inevitably be going up with more applicants
+ application volume will be a huge headline for them to flaunt moving into next year's recruitment season

I'm still a fan of Anderson but my interactions as an applicant have brought my liking of them to diminish.

-Perhaps I'm just a disgruntled applicant but I felt the least appreciated here (emails sent to admissions weren't responded to, student interactions were terse, people i was passed along to contact never replied, class visit was dull). Alumni didn't seem interested in figuring out my fit but instead were set on sharing their accomplishments. Sadly I thought this would be a friendlier and more familial experience but in reaching out, the LA girl in me just about crossed this school off her list.

Try visiting Marshall in close proximity to UCLA and see how different the two are. It's uncanny how much more welcoming, friendlier and close knit SC is. Again i'm very torn and much of it has to do with rankings (which I should get over) but UCLA has been disappointing as an applicant. Perhaps if I'm accepted they'll welcome me in a totally different way. :roll: But being totally transparent - these are experiences that will leave scars regardless of the traction I may or may not make this month. As schools BEYOND my league have accepted me - I still felt more welcome as a reach applicant there than I have as someone who has gone out of their way to show love for Anderson.

:|
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.92

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 11:37
christinemmx86 wrote:
Yea I'm sure the application change also has a lot to do with the increase. 1 recommendation and 1 essay is a lot less intimidating and a lot easier to sneak in last minute.

-the 1 essay won't allow personality to be a huge factor in the decision process (this is super unfortunate as the culture and legacy/network of its grads aren't where I think they belong) [I was interviewed at the 3 M7 schools I applied to and not at Anderson - really feel like my story had no place in their short application as it was probably what earned me an interview everywhere else]

+ rankings will be bumped up for selectivity - those GMAT's and GPA's will inevitably be going up with more applicants
+ application volume will be a huge headline for them to flaunt moving into next year's recruitment season

I'm still a fan of Anderson but my interactions as an applicant have brought my liking of them to diminish.

-Perhaps I'm just a disgruntled applicant but I felt the least appreciated here (emails sent to admissions weren't responded to, student interactions were terse, people i was passed along to contact never replied, class visit was dull). Alumni didn't seem interested in figuring out my fit but instead were set on sharing their accomplishments. Sadly I thought this would be a friendlier and more familial experience but in reaching out, the LA girl in me just about crossed this school off her list.

Try visiting Marshall in close proximity to UCLA and see how different the two are. It's uncanny how much more welcoming, friendlier and close knit SC is. Again i'm very torn and much of it has to do with rankings (which I should get over) but UCLA has been disappointing as an applicant. Perhaps if I'm accepted they'll welcome me in a totally different way. :roll: But being totally transparent - these are experiences that will leave scars regardless of the traction I may or may not make this month. As schools BEYOND my league have accepted me - I still felt more welcome as a reach applicant there than I have as someone who has gone out of their way to show love for Anderson.

Ha really? I felt the exact opposite. My USC application process was HORRIBLE.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.79
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 28

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 11:44
gambelda wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:

Ha really? I felt the exact opposite. My USC application process was HORRIBLE.

Can you provide details on these horrible experiences? As far as my experiences have been throughout the application process, I submitted my application, experienced one technical difficulty (by the admin office's fault) causing a delay in the review of my application. They apologized for the issue and there's not much else to do about it. I wouldn't call that a horrible experience. Can anybody share their experiences, which have turned them off?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [2] , given: 43

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 11:54
This post received
KUDOS
I actually thought my UCLA visit went fairly well. The only thing I wish would go better is if they had a lunch with students option that most schools have when you visit. The class visit wasn't too organized, but neither were the other class visits I went to at other schools. What I liked is that the students and prospective students I interacted with all seemed real chill and friendly, so I definitely left with a positive impression and felt I'd really enjoy attending Anderson. My interviewer (current student) was also very friendly and welcoming.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 21:31
So I have recently attended an open day at UCLA. I really had a nice experience. The students that met us showed us the campus and talked about the application process and their own experience. They confirmed my opinion that the biggest advantage of the school is the LA location. With so many huge companies doing business at the city it would be really difficult not to get a good job in LA after graduation.
What I would recommend is to make those visits more formal - a lunch with faculty member and admission officer would be nice. Or at least would be nice if they attend the presentation of the current students.Otherwise, I really liked the campus and all..and would definitely apply..in 3-4 years since I am still an undergrad
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 22:31
While the smog and congestion in LA do nothing for me, the school and faculty are top notch.

Now, if only the powers that be deliver my transcript in time!
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.39
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 11 [5] , given: 9

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS
Received my interview invite this morning!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
Was just told by the admissions people at Anderson that they have made all financial aid decisions for accepted students. It appears that anyone who has been accepted and has not already received notification from Anderson about tuition assistance awards will likely need to take on the 100 - 160k in total program costs.

Last edited by jc1764 on 17 Mar 2014, 17:20, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
UCLA Thread Master
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 67

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
immadavid wrote:

Congratulations! Good luck.

Follow my reapplicant story at http://mbareapplicant84.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
WE: Law (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 14:13
jc1764 wrote:
Just got word that they have made all financial aid decisions for accepted students. Anyone who has not already received notification from Anderson about tuition assistance awards will likely need to take on the 100 - 160k in total program costs.

What about those who interviewed and are waiting for the R2 decision? What about the students who received awards and will inevitably withdraw in favor of another school (thus opening up award money for others)? It doesn't seem productive to adopt such an extreme, pessimistic stance at this stage.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Web Design (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 20:41
immadavid wrote:

Can you enlighten us with your profile? :-D :-D
Also can you tell if there are any slots open or any possibility of further invites ??
Foolish dreams.... but still... :wink: :wink:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 3

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
I just received an email.... I AM IN!!!! What a great start of the day 8-)

They seem to be releasing batches of admissions continuously. Good luck to the rest of you!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Programming (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 16

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 01:54
This post received
KUDOS
In!! Received the email three hours back :D
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '16 (M)
GRE 1: 321 Q163 V158
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 4

Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
In as well!!! Half-awake when I saw the e-mail, almost dropped my phone :lol: ... Good luck to everyone else!

p.s I interviewed on campus Feb 10

Last edited by Heou87 on 12 Mar 2014, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2014, 02:13