Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 41

Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2014, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (02:22) correct 27% (01:30) wrong based on 108 sessions
Following is a dialogue that took place at a mall X between two colleagues Andy and Bill:

Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite Westside apparel store of mall X, I have seen you there on almost every visit.
Bill: Really? I too am a regular visitor and a loyal customer of the Westside brand, but whenever I have been there with my wife and children, I have seen you approximately once in five visits only. After all, the Westside store at mall X is a mini store capable of accommodating very few customers at the same time.

Assuming both the colleagues are speaking the truth, which of the following can be most logically inferred?

A. Andy visits mall X with his wife only, whereas Bill visits the mall with both his wife and children.
B. The Westside store at Mall X is the most frequently visited apparel store by Andy and Bill at mall X.
C. Andy is a better observer as he noticed Bill on almost every visit as compared to Bill, who observed
Andy at the mall in only 20 percent of his visits.
D. Bill visits the Westside apparel store at Mall X more frequently than Andy does.
E. The Westside store, being a mini store is mostly visited by loyal customers of Westside when they visit
Mall X.

OA after some discussion pl.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by itzmyzone911 on 02 May 2014, 02:56, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Andy and Bill at Mall X [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 01:01
itzmyzone911 wrote:
Following is a dialogue that took place at a mall X between two colleagues Andy and Bill:

Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite Westside apparel store of mall X, I have seen you there on almost every visit.
Bill: Really? I too am a regular visitor and a loyal customer of the Westside brand, but whenever I have been there with my wife and children, I have seen you approximately once in five visits only. After all, the Westside store at mall X is a mini store capable of accommodating very few customers at the same time.

Assuming both the colleagues are speaking the truth, which of the following can be most logically inferred?

A. Andy visits mall X with his wife only, whereas Bill visits the mall with both his wife and children.
B. The Westside store at Mall X is the most frequently visited apparel store by Andy and Bill at mall X.
C. Andy is a better observer as he noticed Bill on almost every visit as compared to Bill, who observed
D. Bill visits the Westside apparel store at Mall X more frequently than Andy does.
E. The Westside store, being a mini store is mostly visited by loyal customers of Westside when they visit
Mall X.

IMO D
Through POE A,B,C and E are eliminated.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Andy and Bill at Mall X [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 01:01
itzmyzone911 wrote:

Mall X.

IMO D
Through POE A,B,C and E are eliminated.
Expert Post
Followers: 343

Kudos [?]: 2881 [0], given: 708

Re: Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 02:07
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 22:40
itzmyzone911 wrote:

Mall X.

I agree.

A) Passage does not say that Andy visits only with his wife
B) Tempting because we know that it is a favourite shop for Andy and his wife but this does not mean most frequented for Andy and Bill
C) irrelevant
D) Given that Bill only sees Andy on 20% of visits and Andy sees Bill on almost every visit it, this can be logically inferred
E) Inverse logic

Hope this helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 23:22
Please provide the OA..Its D for me..Quite a sitter if I am correct

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 40

Re: Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 09:46
IMO D.

Nothing to infer here. This is given in the question. Inferences are things you have to "extrapolate" from the given set of premises.
Out of scope. Nothing is said about that.
percentage trap! Also, this is illogical.
Correct.
Mall X.
Out of scope. Nothing is said about that.
Manager
Manager
Schools: NTU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 31

Re: Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 08:44
Jeffjose,

Could you please explain why "C" is illogical? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 285

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 09:26
Bill: Really? I too am a regular visitor and a loyal customer of the Westside brand, but whenever I have been there with my wife and children, I have seen you approximately once in five visits only.
After all, the Westside store at mall X is a mini store capable of accommodating very few customers at the same time.

C. Andy is a better observer as he noticed Bill on almost every visit as compared to Bill, who observed Andy at the mall in only 20 percent of his visits.
Correct. Only D passes the fact test using the mentioned argument.
E. The Westside store, being a mini store is mostly visited by loyal customers of Westside when they visit Mall X.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.84
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 81

Re: Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 20:36
@JarvisR,Could you please elaborate on the fact test and how to use it?I am consistently sucking at CR must be true/inference questions..
:oops: :cry: :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 285

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 10:23
Ralphcuisak wrote:
@JarvisR,Could you please elaborate on the fact test and how to use it?I am consistently sucking at CR must be true/inference questions..
:oops: :cry: :(

Hi Ralphcuisak,
Glad to help :)
++ By fact test i meant, something that can be proved by using the information provided in the argument.
++In such Qs u shall always refrain yourself from picking answer choices that can't be proved using the info. mentioned in argument or which is not mentioned in arg. In short, don't
infer too much!!
++ Avoid options that can be "could be true" and "likely to be true" but does not necessarily have to be absolutely true.
++ Double check strong language options.
++I would recommend you to go through eGmat/MGmat articles on the same. Sharing a few links:
inference-vs-assumption-146758.html
concept-article-how-to-tackle-must-be-true-or-inference-cr-162910.html
++Try OG questions on this topic and analyze all the options, correct as well as incorrect.

Hope this helped :)
Regards.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Re: Andy: Whenever I come to shop with my wife at our favorite W   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2014, 10:23