Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Angela is one of those students who demand that each and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Angela (Paul3) [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2005, 08:04
Paul wrote:
Angela is one of those students who demand that each and every person cooperate together in order to reach a consensus of opinion.

A) demand that each and every person cooperate together in order to reach a consensus of opinion.
B) demands that each and every person cooperate in order to reach a consensus of opinion.
C) demand that each person cooperate so that a consensus could be reached.
D) demands that each person cooperates so that a consensus could be reached.
E) demands that each person cooperate so that a consensus can be reached.

OA is C
This question is testing:
- redundancy
- subjunctive mood
- "X of Y" tense agreement

B, D and E can be rejected right away due to tense agreement. When a relative clause follows a prepositional phrase "X of Y" and Y is plural, the verb, in this case "demand", should agree with plural noun Y. A can be refuted because of multiple redundancy; "each and every", "cooperate together", "consensus of opinion" --> "every", "cooperate", "consensus". Subjunctive mood, "demand that..." should be followed by infinitive stem, hence without the "s". So D is out.

Let's go through each and every choice :wink:
A) redundancy problem
B) tense agreement and redundancy problem
D) tense agreement and subjunctive mood
E) tense agreement

sastal, as far as the difference between "can" and "could" is concerned, I believe you are right. I originally put "can" and "could" to confuse people but I believe C would have been better as "can" to express a present ability. "could" is better to express an ability in the past. However, "could" would still be good to express a present possibility. You can follow this link for the difference between "can" and "could": http://cctc.commnet.edu/grammar/auxiliary.htm#can

If I had to re-write this problem, I would have changed "could" in C for "can". However, based on all the other answer choices having problems, C does stand out as being best.

Best Regards,

Paul

Last edited by Paul on 19 Jun 2005, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2005, 08:07
banerjeea_98 wrote:
How about this question Paul ? Do we use "includes" or "include" ?

A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.
A) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
B) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is
C) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is
D) graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
E) graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

"include" should be right because of the restrictive clause "that..." which would refer to "birds". Hence only C stands.

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Angela (Paul3) [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2005, 08:44
Paul wrote:
This question is testing:
- redundancy
- subjunctive mood
- "X of Y" tense agreement

I had also the same approach in reasoning the question. it was indeed a good question......................
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Angela (Paul3) [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2005, 09:27
Paul wrote:
B, D and E can be rejected right away due to tense agreement. When a relative clause follows a prepositional phrase "X of Y" and Y is plural, the verb, in this case "demand", should agree with plural noun Y.

However, "could" would still be good to express a present possibility. You can follow this link for the difference between "can" and "could": http://cctc.commnet.edu/grammar/auxiliary.htm#can

If I had to re-write this problem, I would have changed "could" in C for "can". However, based on all the other answer choices having problems, C does stand out as being best.

Good point, tripped me up. I'm so used to seeing the GMAT try to trick you with prepositional phrases, I glossed over the fact the the correct antecedent to "who" is indeed students, not one.

One of those students demands...
but
one of the students who demand ...

I'll concede that, but it still seems to me that could in (C) is flatly wrong, even based on the web page linked. I'd think present-tense "can" is needed instead of past-tense "could", and that this sentence doesn't otherwise fit the "present possibility" modal auxiliary usage. Hmm, if this bothers me enough maybe I'll chew on it a bit.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2005, 09:33
Quote:
Hmm, if this bothers me enough maybe I'll chew on it a bit.

Supercat, don't turn the knife in the wound :lol: I wrote this up and I knew C was supposed to be "can", and it is something I had on my scratch notes, but it somehow slipped my fingers and was typed as "could". I will be more careful :shock:

For this, I believe I will have to write up another one which will meet your standards :wink:

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2005, 09:40
Paul wrote:
banerjeea_98 wrote:
How about this question Paul ? Do we use "includes" or "include" ?

A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.
A) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
B) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is
C) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is
D) graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
E) graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

"include" should be right because of the restrictive clause "that..." which would refer to "birds". Hence only C stands.

Paul, I agree with ur expl on the original ques. However, the ques I posed, I am not sure if it makes sense to say that New World tropical birds can include any kind of species. Only a gp can include species. I think in addition to the restrictive clause rule we shud also see if the plural noun we r conjugating the verb with can even perform that action. Based on this shudn't B the best ans. What u think ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2005, 10:52
group is a collective noun but when you talk about birds in general, the latter can also become a collective noun from which distinct elements can be drawn from. Consider this example:

The zoo has many birds, birds which include the seagull and the eagle.

This means that the eagle and the seagull are part of a whole named "birds". Just to prove that seagull and eagle do not have to be associated with "group". Had the question not had "that", then it would have been clearly conjugated with "group", singular. However, the restrictive clause will make the rest, which can definitely agree with "birds", agree in plural tense. Based on the above, I did not even look at other answer choices.

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2005, 20:42
Thx Paul, that's the reason I selected "C" but OA is "B", hence I was thinking may be we have to look at the logic as well.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2005, 07:06
Late but without peeking at the answer yet, I think C is the answer because

“Angela is one of the students who “ should be followed by plural verb thus demand is the right verb here.
Since we have a 3/2 split, B , D and E are eliminated.
Left with A and C, A is out because cooperate together is redundant thus we are left with C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2005, 09:55
This was a great question, so much so that it deserves a sticky. Thank you, Paul, for such a clear, concise explanation and important piece of information.
  [#permalink] 22 Jun 2005, 09:55