Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:07

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Angela is one of those students who demand that each and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Angela is one of those students who demand that each and [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
1. Angela is one of those students who demand that each and every person cooperate together in order to reach a consensus of opinion.

A) demand that each and every person cooperate together in order to reach a consensus of opinion.
B) demands that each and every person cooperate in order to reach a consensus of opinion.
C) demand that each person cooperate so that a consensus could be reached.
D) demands that each person cooperates so that a consensus could be reached.
E) demands that each person cooperate so that a consensus can be reached.

2. A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.
A) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
B) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is
C) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is
D) graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
E) graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

Now Here is my question:
OA on first is C while OA on the second was B. Agree with the OA on 1 not the second one.
What your take? Do you agree/disagree with the OA on 2?

Whenever we use 'that' in the form 'one of several that dance' the verb following 'that' always look at the subject immediately preceeding it. For instance 'several' here NOT 'one'.
Another example:
Each of the books that REST on the table REMINDS me of her
[Please notice 'rest' looking at 'books' and 'reminds' at 'each']

11-t17377

Last edited by mbawaters on 22 May 2008, 12:41, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - a question [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 12:36
mbawaters wrote:
2. A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.
A) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
B) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is
C) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is
D) graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
E) graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

OA on first is C while OA on the second was B. Agree with the OA on 1 not the second one.
What your take? Do you agree/disagree with the OA on 2?

Now Here is my question: Whenever we use 'that' in the form 'one of several that dance' the verb following 'that' always look at the subject immediately preceeding it. For instance 'several' here NOT 'one'.
Another example:
Each of the books that REST on the table REMINDS me of her
[Please notice 'rest' looking at 'books' and 'reminds' at 'each']

11-t17377

I think C is correct, group is singular and it INCLUDES 250 species..
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - a question [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 13:46
one of those students .... isnt that considered to be singular ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - a question [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 15:23
I think it depends on the logic.

1:A group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species.
I think the above sentence is right, and 'that' refers to 'birds'.

Now when you extend the sentence:
2:a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is
This sentence is now wrong because of 'is'.
If 'that' points to birds, then the sentence sounds terrible.
(birds that include X and is ? if we split it ....birds that include IS??)
So next option is 'that' should refer to group.And since group is singular, we need singular verb 'includes'.

a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

If we split, A group that includes X and is...
( A group that includes X, A group that is...sounds good)

On the whole I would say, it depends on the logic of the sentence.
Nice question. Thanks (+) :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - a question [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 15:34
In these cases always refer..MGMAT rule, kill the middleman(Of...). anyways if we think that was refering to birds then none of the options would make sense. But anyways this is really nice observation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - a question [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 20:28
B is correct - since group is singular - a group is, while groups are!
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - a question [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 20:32
1. C
2. B

yes, the usage is different in these two cases. I think you should refer to mgmat sc review, it has specific example of usage such as these. I can look it up when i get home. (i think i should carry the mgmat sc book with me at all times now. :lol: )
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - a question [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 11:21
Sentence has Idiom and Subjunctive issues:
Demand that is idiomatic and triggers Subjunctive
Eliminate B, D and E
Between A and C:
C forms correct Subjunctive Verb
A) demand that each and every person cooperate together in order to reach a consensus of opinion.
B) demands that each and every person cooperate in order to reach a consensus of opinion.
C) demand that each person cooperate so that a consensus could be reached.
D) demands that each person cooperates so that a consensus could be reached.
E) demands that each person cooperate so that a consensus can be reached.

Answer: C

Sentence has relative modifier and meaning issues.

Relative Pronoun “that” modifies a group not the tropical birds, so first subordinate clause requires singular Verb.
Eliminate – C
Graveteiro requires essential clause to link to “belongs to the ovenbird family” – Eliminate D and E
A – has no connector or sub ordinate conjunction – eliminate it

Answer: B
Re: SC - a question   [#permalink] 23 May 2008, 11:21