Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Animals with a certain behavioral disorder have unusually

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Animals with a certain behavioral disorder have unusually [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 03:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (02:06) correct 25% (02:14) wrong based on 12 sessions
5. Animals with a certain behavioral disorder have unusually high level of aluminum in their brain tissue. Since a silicon-based compound binds to aluminum and prevents it from affecting the brain tissue. Animals can be cured of the disorder by being treated with the compound.
The argument is based on which one of the following assumptions?
(A) Animals with the disorder have unusually high but invariable levels of aluminum in their brain tissue.
(B) Aluminum is the cause of the disorder rather than merely an effect of it.
(C) Introducing the compound into the brain tissue has no side effects.
(D) The amount of the compound needed to neutralize the aluminum in an animal’s brain tissue varies depending upon the species.
(E) Aluminum is never present in normal brain tissue.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: CR on aluminum in their brain tissue! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 03:57
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
5. Animals with a certain behavioral disorder have unusually high level of aluminum in their brain tissue. Since a silicon-based compound binds to aluminum and prevents it from affecting the brain tissue. Animals can be cured of the disorder by being treated with the compound.
(A) Animals with the disorder have unusually high but invariable levels of aluminum in their brain tissue.

A trap. Irrespective of whether Aluminium is the cause of effect, we dont want that to affect the brain tissue. Hence, we are not concerned about Aluminium as a cause or effect when we are deciding about silicon usage.

My answer. If introducing silicon causes some other side effects, its introduction can't be justified.

(D) The amount of the compound needed to neutralize the aluminum in an animal’s brain tissue varies depending upon the species.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Last edited by ak_idc on 16 Nov 2006, 05:42, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 05:22
OA is B..................M baffled myself..............inspite of readin the argumnet so many times....................
VP
VP

Re: CR on aluminum in their brain tissue! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 05:42
ak_idc wrote:
jyotsnasarabu wrote:

A trap. Irrespective of whether Aluminium is the cause of effect, we dont want that to affect the brain tissue. Hence, we are not concerned about Aluminium as a cause or effect when we are deciding about silicon usage.

My answer. If introducing silicon causes some other side effects, its introduction can't be justified.

Hey, now I understand. I did not pay attention to the word "silicon based compound".

That means the compound is a derivative of silicon. Hence there is no scope of silicon causing side effects since, that is the cure. They must have thought about the side effects before introducing that as a medicine. Hence, side effect is out side the scope of the argument.

As they are not using silicon, but silicon based compound we can take B as the answer. The argument says "prevents it from affecting the brain tissue". That means Aluminum is affecting the brain tissue, and there is no point in stopping it from affecting brain tissue unless Aluminum is affecting behavior subsequently. Aluminum might cause some other damage by affecting brain tissue (make them rust and make the individual unfit for gmat :wink:) , but that is not covered in the argument, hence we can ignore that possibility...I guess.

Last edited by ak_idc on 16 Nov 2006, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 05:48
gud notes.........n thanx for that bit of humor...............
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 20:45
I was about to type a long explanation on causal reasoning errors but hey, who cares ... I'll pick B !

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 00:41
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
I was about to type a long explanation on causal reasoning errors but hey, who cares ... I'll pick B !

we do..please share ur thoughts on causal reasoning... :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 01:29
got b straight away
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1390 [0], given: 122

Re: Animals with a certain behavioral disorder have unusually [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 22:50
Cause and effect problem.
If aluminum is the effect of the disorder, a silicon-based compound cannot cure animals.
B is correct

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Animals with a certain behavioral disorder have unusually   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2013, 22:50