Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Announcing that one of its key successes had been the recent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Announcing that one of its key successes had been the recent [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 03:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

40% (01:47) correct 60% (00:40) wrong based on 104 sessions
Announcing that one of its key successes had been the recent well-received beta launch, the Internet startup claimed it would introduce several new products to the web community during the next quarter.

A: ...
B: its key successes has been the recently
C: its key successes is the recently
D: their key successes is the recent
E: their key successes had been the recent

D and E are out for using plural "their"
Between A, B, and C;
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 06:32
I went for B....What is the source of this Q? Ur SC Qs recently have been very interesting :-)
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 07:19
As pointed out,eliminate d,e for the usage of their.Here the usage of recently(adverb) is inappropriate over recent.reread the sentence,"its key successes is the recently"-Eliminate C.Hence A.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 250 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 14:25
This post received
KUDOS
What is the difference if (A) had been :
"its key successes had been the recentLY..."

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 15:53
gmatbull wrote:
Announcing that one of its key successes had been the recent well-received beta launch, the Internet startup claimed it would introduce several new products to the web community during the next quarter.

RECENT vs RECENTLY

here recent is modifying the noun beta-launch (when was the launch-- ans: recent). Recently is an adverb which should modify an adjective. RECENT is correct.
So A is correct

what if we had the sentence like its key successes has been the recent
IS that correct..

All i am trying to say is it wrong to use present perfect here
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 104

Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 19:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Geturdream, a point of contention.

In this phrase - recent well-received beta launch. RECENT is modifying the noun "beta launch" but it is placed next to the adjective "well-received" and since RECENT is an adjective this is improper usage (adjectives cannot modify adjectives). As a matter of fact then RECENTLY is more appropriate.

I looked up the dictionary and the term WELL-RECEIVED is an adjective.

If that is the case the adverb usage RECENTLY is proper usage. As adverbs can modify adjectives. So what exactly does "RECENT" modify? It is far placed from the noun (BETA LAUNCH) it is supposed to be modifying. Is it allowed that 2 adjectives can modify the same noun? Any expert comments?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 03:00
gmatbull wrote:

Between A, B, and C;

....the internet startup claimed....
from here, we can infer that the tense has to be past.
B-"has been" is present tense, so eliminate
C-"is " is also present tense,so eliminate
what is left is A

I arrived at the answer without even considering recent/recently. Sometimes we get so hung up one one word that we forget to use other methods to arrive at the correct answer. :wink:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 6

Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 08:27
I picked B too. But I agree with Eden's reasoning. Should be C.

(1) The sentence is written in past tense. "The company claimed it would introduce" which requires past perfect..."had been"

(2) "recently well received" makes no sense...."recently" is modifying "well received beta launch" (noun)...which is incorrect as adverbs cannot modify nouns...SC experts can comment on this.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 02:35
seekmba wrote:
I picked B too. But I agree with Eden's reasoning. Should be C.

(1) The sentence is written in past tense. "The company claimed it would introduce" which requires past perfect..."had been"

(2) "recently well received" makes no sense...."recently" is modifying "well received beta launch" (noun)...which is incorrect as adverbs cannot modify nouns...SC experts can comment on this.

i share your sentiments on (2); however, experts opinions are welcome.
Source: Grockit.com

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 03:39
hi Seekmba,
wrt above issue raised by you: what about a sentence such as this:
The tall, elegant, and beautiful lady beckoned at the CEO.

"tall" "elegant" and "beautiful" are all adjectives modifying one item - a lady.
I think the sentence is correct, and having two adjectives or more is not
ungrammatical on its own.

In that case, i agree OA (option A) is right at this.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1081

Kudos [?]: 4858 [0], given: 163

Re: Announcing that one of its key successes [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 03:24
Expert's post
gmatbull wrote:

Between A, B, and C;

hirendhanak: I am assuming that you are also looking for the difference between A, B and C.

The key point here is that we will use past perfect in this sentence: one of its key successes had been not has been or is.
The reason is that 'beta launch is an event that took place and was a success before the Internet start up announced it'. The verb 'claimed' shows you that it happened in the past, hence an event further in the past will need to use past perfect.
To review, we use past perfect tense when 2 events take place in the past but one takes place before the other. Here, beta launch became a success before the company claimed it would introduce several new products. So it uses past perfect.

'recent well-received beta launch' is correct. Here recent and well-received form a pair of cumulative adjectives.

There are two types of adjectives: Cumulative and Co-ordinate

Cumulative adjectives - An adjective is “cumulative” when it occurs in a pair or series with other adjectives of different descriptive categories, the adjectives building upon each other and together modifying the noun.
e.g. a big old shaggy dog
big - size
old - age
shaggy - quality

Co-ordinate adjectives - An adjective used in a pair or series with other adjectives within its own descriptive category to describe the same noun. Coordinate adjectives are separated by commas.

I am always impressed by your honest, insightful remarks.

honest - quality
insightful - quality

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Announcing that one of its key successes had been the recent [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 09:51
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Re: Announcing that one of its key successes had been the recent   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2013, 09:51