Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another 680... very disappointed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 87

Another 680... very disappointed [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:39
Hi All,

I am writing this almost immediately after coming from the exam. I just gave my exam and I scored a 680.

I already got a 680 last year, and I wanted to cross atleast 710 this time. I have prepared for 4 months and I have prepared almost full time. I've never got a score less than 710 in my past few mocks (in last 2 months). I've spent a lot of hours on the forum too and I was very confident of my preparation and especially SC. But, I felt uncomfortable with SC in the exam.

GMATPrep 1: 700 (20 Aug)
GMATPrep 2: 760 (28 Aug) ,--- questions got repeated, as I did Prep 1 multiple times.
Exam Pack (Exam 3) : 710 (18 Sep)
Exam Pack (Exam 4): 720 (30 Sep)

I always scored more than 710 in both Kaplan and Manhattan.

I have given the official GMAT 3 times in total.

2010 - 610 (I took GMAT for granted)
2012 - 680 Q49, V34
2013 - 680 Q49, V33

My biggest question to you guys on the forum: Should I retake? or Should I take this score and apply?

I was really looking forward for top programs. :(

Last edited by gmatter0913 on 14 Oct 2013, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Another 680... very disappointed [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 10:15
Is it of any harm if I give it again for the fourth time? I am thinking I will continue my preparation and try to get around 720 (hopefully).

Or Do you guys think four attempts will be taken negatively by b-schools?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 136

Re: Another 680... very disappointed [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 18:56
Hey gmatter,
I was really looking for your debrief, since we have prepared together. I am distraught that you havent got your dream score, nevertheless 680 is a good score. Now the question comes, whether to take the exam again or not. It depends, if your profile is real good, then don't go for it, however if it is typical IIM ( indian it male), then i would suggest you to go for it as i believe you would be going for ISB or IIM, then you should go for exam again since first cut off has already gone.. Then y not devote another month and go for it..
As i have followed you, i knew that SC is your week area, however it can be improved tremendously in short span of time unlike other areas.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Another 680... very disappointed [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 20:56
Yes Himanshu, I am thinking of preparing again.

But, I am not very sure if I can do it within one month.

Actually, I definitely got thrown off by the exam in Verbal. I didn't do the Verbal the way I normally do it. But, I definitely went to the Verbal part very confidently. I remember the first question was an SC and I initially thought it was a parallelism question (so, I was looking for options that hold parallelism), but 2 mins into the question I boiled down to two options which are exactly the same and the only difference is "they". I couldn't make a decision whether "they" is required or it is implied in that case. I almost took about 3.5 mins to choose an option. I didn't want to do the first question wrong, because I know there is a severe penalty.

I did the first few questions very slowly. I finished my first 10 in first 25 mins. I took a lot of time there and I guess I got tensed and rushed a bit from thereon...Somewhere in the middle of the test I lost confidence and I didn't feel I am in control... Almost in all my mocks, I had the feeling that I was in control of the test. But, I definitely felt that I didn't control the test in the actual GMAT... I lost to GMAT...

If I would've got a score of 700 or so, I would've felt that I can prepare and write again... But, I actually got the same score that I had before... This is disappointing and I am now no so confident to achieve a 720
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Another 680... very disappointed [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 22:20
Another way to look at it is that 680 is perhaps just 2-3 questions away from a 700. I think for all your preparation and time, you must try it one last time. You have nothing to loose, because you can't go any lower than this..since most schools (I think) consider only the best score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Another 680... very disappointed [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 22:29
Any help on the preparation front, please?
I've exhausted all the resources including QPack and Exam Pack...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Another 680... very disappointed [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 05:59
I am sure you've done OG-13. How about older OGs? Perhaps that would be a good source...and then, there would be these Quant review and Verbal review...
Re: Another 680... very disappointed   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2013, 05:59