Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another beautiful one.. The fear of rabies is well

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rables [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 23:55
Only reason B seems superior to A, I think as suggested, is the first part of the sentence.
The fear is well founded which makes the second part is sync with the first in case of B.

But I still feel if we consider only second part of the sentence, A is superior to B.

Only intent of the first part makes B superior to A.

icandy wrote:
l
The fear is well founded. So to arrive at that conclusion the sentence is using past evidence. The sentence cannot use current patients who are receiving on going treatment for Rabies.

another reason is appearance of clinical symptoms is a prepositional phrase with "of". This can be easily collapsed and that is what B did.

sdrandom1 wrote:
Answer is clearly B

The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms - "after the appearance of" is not idiomatic. Also the word 'after' does not conver what the author intends to say.
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - idiomatic and clearly conveys the author's point
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - 'known' is wrongly used here....the author intends to say that few people are known to recover, not few 'known' people
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease - same explanation as C
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear - 'recovery is know' unidiomatic

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
The fear of rabies [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 10:35
748. The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear

For me, it´s between A and B...

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: The fear of rabies [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 23:06
noboru wrote:
748. The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear

For me, it´s between A and B...

My money is with A.
I cannot agree with B, because the sentence is a run-on sentence. Although once can function as a conjunction, it clearly (as indicated by the syntax) is not playing the role of a conjunction.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The fear of rabies [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 23:08
For SC questions, please underline the suspected portion.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The fear of rabies [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 23:41
gurpreetsingh wrote:
For SC questions, please underline the suspected portion.

True. By the way...what is your take?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 42

Re: Rabies [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2010, 09:01
I thought it was B. To be certain, I had to rewrite A as:

"After the appearance of clinical symptoms, few people are known to recover."

This is clearly incorrect so I chose B .
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rabies [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 02:20
OA?
IMO it is "A"
"once the clinical symptoms have appeared" should be "once the clinical symptoms appear" for B to be the correct answer. Isn't it?
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Fear of rabies... [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 07:17
A. OUT
Another reason

You must exclude the people who have the symptoms now and still recovering – to make such a statement. So the sample has to be from the past - "have recovered" looks alright.

B it is.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 315

Kudos [?]: 658 [1] , given: 11

Re: SC: Fear of rabies... [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

I got Private Messaged to answer this question, and indeed, the discussion has been long and fruitful! What fun!

The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A)few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.
PROBLEM: This question is a classic concision trap. The hope is that you'll pick A, thinking that A and B are the same and this one is shorter. But this is not idiomatic. We say "SUBJECT is known TO HAVE RECOVERED" not "SUBJECT is known TO RECOVER." We wouldn't say he is "known to eat twenty apples". The present tense infinitive (to eat) is wrong. Correct is that "I am known to have eaten 20 apples", which correctly uses the present perfect to imply this is what we've known from the past into the present.

Also, "after" and "once" have slightly different meanings. "I'm going to the store after lunch" implies that SOMETIME after lunch, I'll go to the store. "I'm going to the store once I've eaten lunch" implies that there is a causal relationship between the eating and the going to the store, that eating lunch is the threshold. That's what we want here, because the symptoms are the threshold.

(B)few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
ANSWER: Awesome.

(C)there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
PROBLEM: Adjective "known" is now modifying "people", which is silly.

(D)after the clinical symptoms appear,there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
PROBLEM: Same as above, and the placement of the prep phrase "after..." is odd.

(E)recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear
PROBLEM: "Known for only a few people" doesn't make any sense. It's not that the recovery isn't known, but that few people are known to have recovered.

Hope that helps! The answer is definitely B.

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 874 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Fear of rabies... [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 16:10
evensflow wrote:
Another beautiful one..

(A)few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.
(B)few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(C)there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(D)after the clinical symptoms appear,there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
(E)recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear

Hmmm... unequivocal support for "B".

If we ignore all the grammar for a second and just concentrate on the logic, only "E" sounds convincing to me.

The second clause in A and B sound like a positive aspect of rabies.
It's like saying that not everybody dies, few recover. No need to be afraid, you may be the lucky one. :lol:

Whereas in "E", the word "only" emphasizes something like:
Beware!!! "ONLY few can recover; most die"...

"B" is grammatically more sound if we ignore the "only" part.

~fluke

Re: SC: Fear of rabies...   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2011, 16:10