Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another beautiful one.. The fear of rabies is well

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Another beautiful one.. The fear of rabies is well [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2003, 08:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:54) wrong based on 4 sessions
Another beautiful one..

The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A)few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.
(B)few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(C)there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(D)after the clinical symptoms appear,there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
(E)recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear

Last edited by evensflow on 04 Jul 2003, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2003, 15:53
I vote for B

A is wrong because the use of an infinitive ("to recover") implies that the event happened in the past, is happening now, and it will probably happen in the future. And here we are talking about past events only, so "have recovered" is better.

C and D) "known" is in the wrong place.

E) changes the logic. It says that only few people knows about the recovery, when it should say that there are few people who recovered.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2003, 11:11
Ok this one is really good.

The answer is "A".

I shall write about it for sure.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2003, 21:29
A vs. B

explanations, plizzz!

I also voted for A, keeping in mind that there is no need to correct a sentence once it is already correct.
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 02:39
IMHO, the confusion here seemed to be between the construct "are known to recover" and "are known to have recovered". I believe the answer is "A" because the first construct implies that people have recovered and are still recoving.

Here is an analogous example: If I say "He is known to have recited Shakespeare in Central Park" it implies that he had done it before, but doesn't do it anymore.

Now consider, "He is known to recite ....." implies that he continues to recite.

Since the recovery of rabies patients is an ongoing thing, I believe the first construct is more appropriate.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 03:25
AkamaiBrah wrote:
IMHO, the confusion here seemed to be between the construct "are known to recover" and "are known to have recovered". I believe the answer is "A" because the first construct implies that people have recovered and are still recoving.

Here is an analogous example: If I say "He is known to have recited Shakespeare in Central Park" it implies that he had done it before, but doesn't do it anymore.

Now consider, "He is known to recite ....." implies that he continues to recite.

Since the recovery of rabies patients is an ongoing thing, I believe the first construct is more appropriate.

It is our pure luck to entice such a perfect member as AkamaiBrah.
GMAT Instructor

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 04:25
Believe me, I am FAR from perfect. I do, however, try to explain things in a way that, if I were the student, would be clear and understandable to me.

Your comments and criticisms are always welcome and while I will do my best to defend my opinion in an education manner, I am certainly humble enough to admit when I am wrong! <Grin>

Best,

AkamaiBrah

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 19:14
:?: :?: I was given exactly the same question at a GMAT class I attend, and the correct answer was B.

I remember it clearly because I had chosen A, and the tutor had to explain the answer (he said what I wrote above).

I don't know if my tutor just "thinks" the correct answer is B or that he has the answers from ETS (since this is an official GMAT question).

Please Evensflow, could you tell us more ?
GMAT Instructor

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 20:44
Like i said, i'm not 100% certain, but B has same verb tense for both the recovery and the appearance of the symptoms, and no helping words like "after" to indicate the proper relative time frame. Clearly the recovery would occur after the onset of the symptoms.

To me, A is still better.

Best,

AkamaiBrah

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2003, 04:21
Hi Martin,
The answer with me is "A". I know there is confusion between A and B. but tell you what, that master Akamaibrah has made it crystal clear. the xplanation with me is the same thing which he posted. It's ditto i can tell you that.

The idea of the sentence A clearly says that people have recovered and are still recovering.

B says people have recovered in past. We know nothing about present.

Also, "after" is preferable to "once".

Well, quesiton like these suggest only one thing. We should stick to what "A" says always. Never change the meaning of A and go to other options only if A doesnt sound good.

Still require clarifications, then post them through...:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2003, 05:47
What I also remember about the argument in favour of B is that the sentence uses the word "known". The cases of recovery that today are known happened in the past, they "have recovered" in the past. Those that are recovering today, and in the close future, are not "known" yet.

This doesn't sound very persuasive does it? :?

What you all say in favour of A is true though...

I'll try to find out more at class tonight
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Fear of rabies... [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2006, 09:16
evensflow wrote:
Another beautiful one..

The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A)few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.
(B)few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared

" are known to have recovered" indicates something that happened in the past!
Here, we are talking about a fact (a fact which is still valid at present, as "the fear of rabies is well founded" indicates) --> it should be "are known to recover..."

go for A.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2006, 12:40
This post received
KUDOS

The key why A is not correct is the existence of "founded" which means the reasons why the fear exists is based on the observations in the past. The only option which reconciles that is one which has "have recovered" .
The rest is eliminated by the 3C's : concise, correct, clarity.

To further elaborate, the fear "is" well founded, but the fear is again based on the experience of the past.. i.e. need to look in the past for experience, which is most people who have symptoms appear don't recover.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Rabies [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 06:19

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear

Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

Last edited by smashingpumpkins on 23 Jun 2009, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Rables [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 08:45
IMO... B.
BTW... Correct answer plez
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: Rables [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 09:04
I think OA is wrong!

check the link:
http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... l#post4076

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: Rables [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 09:16
Also there is one more link of discussion:
sc-fear-of-rabies-1408.html#p209412

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: Rables [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 12:51
Answer is clearly B

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms - "after the appearance of" is not idiomatic. Also the word 'after' does not conver what the author intends to say.
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - idiomatic and clearly conveys the author's point
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - 'known' is wrongly used here....the author intends to say that few people are known to recover, not few 'known' people
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease - same explanation as C
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear - 'recovery is know' unidiomatic
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: Rables [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 18:16
looks like this Question is pretty ambiguous

Here is why I thought its B

The fear is well founded. So to arrive at that conclusion the sentence is using past evidence. The sentence cannot use current patients who are receiving on going treatment for Rabies.

another reason is appearance of clinical symptoms is a prepositional phrase with "of". This can be easily collapsed and that is what B did.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Rables [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 23:31
I concur
Quote:
The fear is well founded. So to arrive at that conclusion the sentence is using past evidence. The sentence cannot use current patients who are receiving on going treatment for Rabies.

This clearly highlights the intent of the statement.
Re: Rables   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2009, 23:31