Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another debate... Chicago GSB vs Michigan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Another debate... Chicago GSB vs Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 18:42
Maybe this has been discussed in the forum already. But I would like to get opinions on choosing between Chicago GSB and Ross at Michigan.

I got admits to both schools' part time program (weekend for GSB) and would like to concentrate on strategic management and marketing (I am from Detroit area). It seems that people think that Michigan has better reputation in management and Chicago is better in marketing. I don't know if that is true. But assuming it is, which school would be a better choice?

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Hjort -- would you please comment as well?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 23:03
I cannot tell which school is the better choice- this is a personal value judgment. However, Chicago is the easy winner when it comes to general reputation. To begin with, Chicago is an ultra elite cluster school while Michigan is in the elite cluster, Chicago generally has far more placements at the major firms. As I recall Chicago has substantially more CEOs at major corporations as well. If your goal is more localized in the Detroit area, then Michigan might have an advantage in that regard. As usual, rankings and reputations should not be taken too far- if you genuinely dislike a particular school then it makes little sense to spend several years there.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2006, 10:37
Thanks for your valuable comment, Hjort! I always appreciate the insightfull inputs you gave to many of us.

I don't think my future would be confined in the Detroit area (even overseas is a possibility for me). I have visisted GSB a couple of times and I liked the facility (Gleacher center) and the way the faculty and staff interact with students (even perspective students). My only concern is whether Chicago GSB has equally high reputation in Strategic Management and General Management as it has in Finance and Economics. And consequently, would people view a GSB MBA as competitive in the management area as in finance?

Thanks again for your advice, Hjort!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2006, 16:09
This is sort of a difficult question to answer because Chicago is such a strong school in Finance (one of the very best in the world). I suppose the other domains at Chicago are "weaker" in the same sense that the other domains at Kellogg are weak relative to Marketing or the other domains at Stanford are weak relative to GM. Regardless, when it comes to Strategic Management Chicago is still firmly in the ultra elite cluster. Even Michigan, which has some of the best placements in Management Consulting for the elites, is nowhere near Chicago and the other ultra elites in terms of placements. For example, in several years, Chicago had several times the placements at Mckinsey than Michigan did. Of course, I encourage you to investigate the matter further.
  [#permalink] 17 Jul 2006, 16:09