Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another GMAT clubber gets 700 +

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 108
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 19:24
Can someone take a look at this????

It seems that the SC does not have answers posted to the doc. Could you send the SC answers as well?

Also, the DS link could not be downloaded. The folder does not hold any files. And the PS link does not have answers either.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 19:28
yogachgolf wrote:
Can someone take a look at this????

It seems that the SC does not have answers posted to the doc. Could you send the SC answers as well?

Also, the DS link could not be downloaded. The folder does not hold any files. And the PS link does not have answers either.


For SC, you can find answers by pressing show/hide option.

I am not sure of DS and PS link. I could download them before, though some tests are missing. But I don't suggest DS1000 and PS1000, if you are looking for tough questions.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 21:42
Great job, congratulations! :-)

Good luck in your applications.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 108
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 07:01
I might miss something. How to go about pressing show/hide option?

I'm looking for tough questions in DS & PS, what's your suggestions on Quant?



For SC, you can find answers by pressing show/hide option.

I am not sure of DS and PS link. I could download them before, though some tests are missing. But I don't suggest DS1000 and PS1000, if you are looking for tough questions.[/quote]
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 108
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 07:05
Also, for powerscore LSAT CR guide - what book do you recommend??
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 07:46
yogachgolf wrote:
Also, for powerscore LSAT CR guide - what book do you recommend??


Powerscore is name of the guide..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 108
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 08:46
Could you be more specific on the show/hide button? Also, what book do you suggest on Quant??


aurobindo wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:
Can someone take a look at this????

It seems that the SC does not have answers posted to the doc. Could you send the SC answers as well?

Also, the DS link could not be downloaded. The folder does not hold any files. And the PS link does not have answers either.


For SC, you can find answers by pressing show/hide option.

I am not sure of DS and PS link. I could download them before, though some tests are missing. But I don't suggest DS1000 and PS1000, if you are looking for tough questions.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 16:46
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
Can you post your CR notes or tell us your CR strategy?


I am sorry. Did n't maintain notes on CR. Some how I never learn that :cry:

During practice, was trying more to expand my ability to understand complex text.

I think it is important to be able to identify what is assumption, what is conclusion, and what is supporting conclusion. Unless we learn this it would be difficult to answer many questions. We don't need to mark these part of the argument consciously, every single time. That can be time taking too. But at least when we read an argument we should immediately get what the author is making all the fuss about.

Be careful to discriminate between final conclusion and supporting conclusion. Supporting conclusion is also a conclusion but it based on a few, but not all, pieces of information in the argument.

Further, reading question closely is very important. We often have a quick reading. That is understandable under time pressure. But that is not enough. Some times when a question asks us to assume right option as true, we understand it as asking us to assume that all the information in the argument is right. As you know, they are two different questions.

Also please get clarity on what is a strengthen question and what is weaken question. We all know basic definitions, but few of us clearly understand them. Before I used to look for 100% supporting option for strengthen questions. Of course, that is not right. Even if the option says a little positive (between 0-99%), it can be a right option. Same holds for weaken questions.

Assumption questions are the toughest, in my view. Often the trap is laid in the form of "out of scope".

If you want to bury CR once for all, read and master material in Powerscore LSAT CR guide. In my opinion, that is the best guide available on CR.


Do you suggest symbolizing the sentences?
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 01:38
yogachgolf wrote:
Could you be more specific on the show/hide button? Also, what book do you suggest on Quant??


aurobindo wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:
Can someone take a look at this????

It seems that the SC does not have answers posted to the doc. Could you send the SC answers as well?

Also, the DS link could not be downloaded. The folder does not hold any files. And the PS link does not have answers either.


For SC, you can find answers by pressing show/hide option.

I am not sure of DS and PS link. I could download them before, though some tests are missing. But I don't suggest DS1000 and PS1000, if you are looking for tough questions.


Follow these instructions to see answers in SC1000:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Under Formatting Marks, click to select the Hidden Text check box.
4. Click OK.

Quants: I have not prepared much for that part. I have been strong in that section from the beginning.

I heard from fellow clubbers that "GMAT Club Challenges" material is good. Even I saw some questions and found the quality of questions to be very good.

Last edited by aurobindo on 27 Jul 2007, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 01:46
bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
Can you post your CR notes or tell us your CR strategy?


I am sorry. Did n't maintain notes on CR. Some how I never learn that :cry:

During practice, was trying more to expand my ability to understand complex text.

I think it is important to be able to identify what is assumption, what is conclusion, and what is supporting conclusion. Unless we learn this it would be difficult to answer many questions. We don't need to mark these part of the argument consciously, every single time. That can be time taking too. But at least when we read an argument we should immediately get what the author is making all the fuss about.

Be careful to discriminate between final conclusion and supporting conclusion. Supporting conclusion is also a conclusion but it based on a few, but not all, pieces of information in the argument.

Further, reading question closely is very important. We often have a quick reading. That is understandable under time pressure. But that is not enough. Some times when a question asks us to assume right option as true, we understand it as asking us to assume that all the information in the argument is right. As you know, they are two different questions.

Also please get clarity on what is a strengthen question and what is weaken question. We all know basic definitions, but few of us clearly understand them. Before I used to look for 100% supporting option for strengthen questions. Of course, that is not right. Even if the option says a little positive (between 0-99%), it can be a right option. Same holds for weaken questions.

Assumption questions are the toughest, in my view. Often the trap is laid in the form of "out of scope".

If you want to bury CR once for all, read and master material in Powerscore LSAT CR guide. In my opinion, that is the best guide available on CR.


Do you suggest symbolizing the sentences?


By symbolizing do u mean classifying sentences into "conclusion" or "assumption" or "evidence"?

If Yes, then I suggest that. I feel that is methodical way of solving CR. I think that method is reliable.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 108
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 06:15
Nice...got it.


aurobindo wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:
Could you be more specific on the show/hide button? Also, what book do you suggest on Quant??


aurobindo wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:
Can someone take a look at this????

It seems that the SC does not have answers posted to the doc. Could you send the SC answers as well?

Also, the DS link could not be downloaded. The folder does not hold any files. And the PS link does not have answers either.


For SC, you can find answers by pressing show/hide option.

I am not sure of DS and PS link. I could download them before, though some tests are missing. But I don't suggest DS1000 and PS1000, if you are looking for tough questions.


Follow these instructions to see answers in SC1000:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Under Formatting Marks, click to select the Hidden Text check box.
4. Click OK.

Quants: I have not prepared much for that part. I have been strong in that section from the beginning.

I heard from fellow clubbers that "GMAT Club Challenges" material is good. Even I saw some questions and found the quality of questions to be very good.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 13:05
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
Can you post your CR notes or tell us your CR strategy?


I am sorry. Did n't maintain notes on CR. Some how I never learn that :cry:

During practice, was trying more to expand my ability to understand complex text.

I think it is important to be able to identify what is assumption, what is conclusion, and what is supporting conclusion. Unless we learn this it would be difficult to answer many questions. We don't need to mark these part of the argument consciously, every single time. That can be time taking too. But at least when we read an argument we should immediately get what the author is making all the fuss about.

Be careful to discriminate between final conclusion and supporting conclusion. Supporting conclusion is also a conclusion but it based on a few, but not all, pieces of information in the argument.

Further, reading question closely is very important. We often have a quick reading. That is understandable under time pressure. But that is not enough. Some times when a question asks us to assume right option as true, we understand it as asking us to assume that all the information in the argument is right. As you know, they are two different questions.

Also please get clarity on what is a strengthen question and what is weaken question. We all know basic definitions, but few of us clearly understand them. Before I used to look for 100% supporting option for strengthen questions. Of course, that is not right. Even if the option says a little positive (between 0-99%), it can be a right option. Same holds for weaken questions.

Assumption questions are the toughest, in my view. Often the trap is laid in the form of "out of scope".

If you want to bury CR once for all, read and master material in Powerscore LSAT CR guide. In my opinion, that is the best guide available on CR.


Do you suggest symbolizing the sentences?


By symbolizing do u mean classifying sentences into "conclusion" or "assumption" or "evidence"?

If Yes, then I suggest that. I feel that is methodical way of solving CR. I think that method is reliable.


no i meant
if p then Q
P => ~Q
Q=> ~p

i have no idea if those are correct or wrong. just explaining symbolizing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 14:53
in my opinion, there is no need to diagram GMAT CRs..
the questions are not complex enough.
LSAT LRs are a different story...

(i studied for both tests)



bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
Can you post your CR notes or tell us your CR strategy?


I am sorry. Did n't maintain notes on CR. Some how I never learn that :cry:

During practice, was trying more to expand my ability to understand complex text.

I think it is important to be able to identify what is assumption, what is conclusion, and what is supporting conclusion. Unless we learn this it would be difficult to answer many questions. We don't need to mark these part of the argument consciously, every single time. That can be time taking too. But at least when we read an argument we should immediately get what the author is making all the fuss about.

Be careful to discriminate between final conclusion and supporting conclusion. Supporting conclusion is also a conclusion but it based on a few, but not all, pieces of information in the argument.

Further, reading question closely is very important. We often have a quick reading. That is understandable under time pressure. But that is not enough. Some times when a question asks us to assume right option as true, we understand it as asking us to assume that all the information in the argument is right. As you know, they are two different questions.

Also please get clarity on what is a strengthen question and what is weaken question. We all know basic definitions, but few of us clearly understand them. Before I used to look for 100% supporting option for strengthen questions. Of course, that is not right. Even if the option says a little positive (between 0-99%), it can be a right option. Same holds for weaken questions.

Assumption questions are the toughest, in my view. Often the trap is laid in the form of "out of scope".

If you want to bury CR once for all, read and master material in Powerscore LSAT CR guide. In my opinion, that is the best guide available on CR.


Do you suggest symbolizing the sentences?


By symbolizing do u mean classifying sentences into "conclusion" or "assumption" or "evidence"?

If Yes, then I suggest that. I feel that is methodical way of solving CR. I think that method is reliable.


no i meant
if p then Q
P => ~Q
Q=> ~p

i have no idea if those are correct or wrong. just explaining symbolizing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 15:09
I think for CR you just need to avoid common pitfalls:

assumptions: make sure it's specific and related directly to the premise and conclusion of the statement

inference: don't go out of scope

strengthen/weaken: make sure the answer you pick attacks an assumption directly and not some inference

Just a few quick thoughts.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 23:28
CookieMonster wrote:
in my opinion, there is no need to diagram GMAT CRs..
the questions are not complex enough.
LSAT LRs are a different story...

(i studied for both tests)



bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
Can you post your CR notes or tell us your CR strategy?


I am sorry. Did n't maintain notes on CR. Some how I never learn that :cry:

During practice, was trying more to expand my ability to understand complex text.

I think it is important to be able to identify what is assumption, what is conclusion, and what is supporting conclusion. Unless we learn this it would be difficult to answer many questions. We don't need to mark these part of the argument consciously, every single time. That can be time taking too. But at least when we read an argument we should immediately get what the author is making all the fuss about.

Be careful to discriminate between final conclusion and supporting conclusion. Supporting conclusion is also a conclusion but it based on a few, but not all, pieces of information in the argument.

Further, reading question closely is very important. We often have a quick reading. That is understandable under time pressure. But that is not enough. Some times when a question asks us to assume right option as true, we understand it as asking us to assume that all the information in the argument is right. As you know, they are two different questions.

Also please get clarity on what is a strengthen question and what is weaken question. We all know basic definitions, but few of us clearly understand them. Before I used to look for 100% supporting option for strengthen questions. Of course, that is not right. Even if the option says a little positive (between 0-99%), it can be a right option. Same holds for weaken questions.

Assumption questions are the toughest, in my view. Often the trap is laid in the form of "out of scope".

If you want to bury CR once for all, read and master material in Powerscore LSAT CR guide. In my opinion, that is the best guide available on CR.


Do you suggest symbolizing the sentences?


By symbolizing do u mean classifying sentences into "conclusion" or "assumption" or "evidence"?

If Yes, then I suggest that. I feel that is methodical way of solving CR. I think that method is reliable.


no i meant
if p then Q
P => ~Q
Q=> ~p

i have no idea if those are correct or wrong. just explaining symbolizing.


Agree with CookieMonster. I don't think GMAT CR needs such a high level of preparation. You should just be able to clearly identify what is an assumption, or conclusion or evidence. If you can clearly understand how these are being used in the argument that is enough.

I have seen some high scorers using symbolizing. I have also seen people not using symobilizing, scoring very well. I guess learning to solve CR problems through symbolizing might take time. Having said that had I had time, I would have learnt symbolizing.
  [#permalink] 27 Jul 2007, 23:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 580 to 700 - Great to be part of the 700 Clubbers vonshuriz 12 03 Jun 2010, 05:18
To atleast get 700 in GMAT pm4553 6 08 Dec 2008, 12:29
GMAT 700+ CLUBBERS yogachgolf 3 16 May 2008, 06:22
EDIT:FULL DEBRIEFAWA 5.5-another 700 clubber. 710 (48Q 40V) anonymousegmat 15 15 Aug 2007, 19:38
Work profile of GMAT clubbers venky1979 20 02 Feb 2007, 09:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Another GMAT clubber gets 700 +

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.