Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another GMAT clubber gets 700 +

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 01:09
Just came back from exam center. Got a score of 740 (97 percentile) 49 Q, 42 V.

I thank GMAT club team for incredible opportunities the website provides to meet some of the brightest people in the world. I am 100% sure, some of the guys (of course girls too :wink: ) here are very bright. I must say I met more no of bright people here than in my entire life, before joining club. It is with their help in terms of advice, and encouragement, and of course my own hard work and god's grace I could improve my score.

I thank Laxie, NCPrasad, Kripal, Swagatalakshmi, GMATT73, dwivedys, Kevincan, HongHu, Rahul (the guy who posted CR1000, RC1000, SC1000 in gmatclub) particularly.

You guys are awesome !!! You make this club a wonderful place :circle

Coming to GMAT journey here are scores of my past attempts.

1st attempt (in 2001): 600
2nd attempt (in 2003): 670
3rd attempt (in 2007 march): 670
4th and final attempt (today :wink: ): 740

I have been around GMAT club for around 11 months. Joined with a score of 670, after 2nd attempt.

I shall try to be as objective as possible. Hope my experience will be useful to somebody.

The only difference between last time and this time is, my practice of the material in test mode. 1000 series posted by Rahul has been my bread and butter in terms of material for the last 4 months. I completed almost all of RC1000, 90% of SC1000, and 70% of CR1000. I used this 1000 material for creating tests. I took around 40 full length tests (including writing essays) in this manner. Manhattan SC book has been a useful guide too.

Practiced one test everyday for 4 days a week. I will explain why I had to take this extreme step. When I took GMAT for third time I noticed that I am almost getting tired in the middle of verbal. I could feel the fatigue that was creeping in. Mind went blank. Could n't think clearly and was forced to read the same information again and again. And due to that fatigue, under time pressure I was forced to choose an OK answer. Then I tried to address the problem during my preparation. I had marathon runner in my mind when I thought about this problem. What would a marathon runner do if he wants to increase his stamina to run more than 15 kilometers? Ideally he would practice the same distance everyday. Not 1 km one day and another 1 km another day and so forth. He will have to run entire distance as many days as possible to build stamina. I tried to replicate the same thing in my preparation. It was painful initially. You wound n't want to sit and take a test for 4 hours after working in office for 8 hours. It is tough. You feel like crying when your are trying to do that. But we have to have that stamina. I think that is worth the effort.

I guess that is what is expected of us as senior executives tomorrow. Ability to take mental strain for extended hours is essential.

GMAT club helped me in getting advice, and material. Here I could benchmark myself against the best. When I was reading some CR responses of NCprasad, I was just amazed at his clarity of thinking. He was the benchmark I had. He suggested that I go through LSAT CR to crack CR. I did so faithfully. Must have solved more than 600 LSAT CR problems. He suggested that I take verbal questions randomly like 1 SC, 1 CR, 2SC, 1CR and never more than 2 questions of the same type. I did as suggested. This condition is limited to SC and CR. Obviously, for RC we can't do that. LSAT RCs helped me a lot.

One solution I can suggest: To improve in any section one needs to practice as many tough questions as possible in that section.

One caution: GMATclub forums can definitely complement your preparation. But they can't replace your own preparation. In my opinion, forums are not meant for that.

If anybody has any question, please feel free to PM me. I would be glad to share my understanding.

Thank you.

Last edited by aurobindo on 20 Jul 2007, 03:30, edited 8 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 04:28
Congrats.... what a way for such an happy end ! :D :) :)

Best of luck for the next steps ! :D :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 09:37
Awesome news. I couldn't be happier.

Great job and you're right, this club is the best thing to happen for any one attempting to crack the GMAT. Whatever I told you is based on what I learnt from fellow clubbers.

Once again Congratulations!

:woohoo

Feel free to ping me if you need any help with the applications.

See you on the B-school application board.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 11:52
Congrats and AWESOME score!!!

Though regarding your marathon runner analogy, it's funny that I read a CR question that said marathon runners only run 5-10 k a day to train, instead of the entire distance... dunno if it's true, but it was on the practice GMAT! =)
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 14:29
Great score! Good luck with your applications- work hard on your essays and you'll go far!
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 17:32
Wonderful score buddy...Congrats on this achievement!!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 22:04
Thank you Laxie, Fig, NCprasad, Kryzak, Kevincan, and Trivikram.

Fig: When I was doing graphs related problems in GMAT, I was thinking about you :)

Kevin: I am highly encouraged by your word "far" Thank you for that. I can see that you can weave magic not only with numbers but also with words :)

Kryzak: My marathon runner was running in mind, not in real world :wink:

Thank you for pointing out facts. However, I know you got what I wanted to say :-D

Last edited by aurobindo on 21 Jul 2007, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 06:56
wow........what a score....awesome....
Congrats buddy.....
All the best for application process.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 07:46
Wow , such an inspirational post and score of course!!

Congratulations.

FP
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 18:55
Congrats on the awesome score...

I am new to the gmatclub...could you post the link to 1000 series? Also, what book did you use for LSAT CR & RC?
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2007, 02:14
hey aurobindo, congrats on the great result!

Now, you would make me happy if you could take 3mins and contribute to this thread :) http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=47422

Good luck on the next stages! :)

Last edited by seofah on 22 Jul 2007, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2007, 03:07
You did it on your birthday?
Congratulations man!
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2007, 04:03
Can you post your CR notes or tell us your CR strategy?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2007, 04:31
Absolutely f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c score! Way to go!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2007, 16:08
Congrats aurobindo! Perseverance does really pay! Happy for you.
Any more suggestions?g
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 03:15
yogachgolf wrote:
Congrats on the awesome score...

I am new to the gmatclub...could you post the link to 1000 series? Also, what book did you use for LSAT CR & RC?

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20341
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 03:55
bmwhype2 wrote:
Can you post your CR notes or tell us your CR strategy?

I am sorry. Did n't maintain notes on CR. Some how I never learn that :cry:

During practice, was trying more to expand my ability to understand complex text.

I think it is important to be able to identify what is assumption, what is conclusion, and what is supporting conclusion. Unless we learn this it would be difficult to answer many questions. We don't need to mark these part of the argument consciously, every single time. That can be time taking too. But at least when we read an argument we should immediately get what the author is making all the fuss about.

Be careful to discriminate between final conclusion and supporting conclusion. Supporting conclusion is also a conclusion but it based on a few, but not all, pieces of information in the argument.

Further, reading question closely is very important. We often have a quick reading. That is understandable under time pressure. But that is not enough. Some times when a question asks us to assume right option as true, we understand it as asking us to assume that all the information in the argument is right. As you know, they are two different questions.

Also please get clarity on what is a strengthen question and what is weaken question. We all know basic definitions, but few of us clearly understand them. Before I used to look for 100% supporting option for strengthen questions. Of course, that is not right. Even if the option says a little positive (between 0-99%), it can be a right option. Same holds for weaken questions.

Assumption questions are the toughest, in my view. Often the trap is laid in the form of "out of scope".

If you want to bury CR once for all, read and master material in Powerscore LSAT CR guide. In my opinion, that is the best guide available on CR.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 04:05
ArvGMAT wrote:
Congrats aurobindo! Perseverance does really pay! Happy for you.
Any more suggestions?g

Pertaining to RC, here is some thing I shared with a friend on gmat club.

To improve in RC, I suggest that you solve LSAT passages in RC1000. There are around 30 exercises. Each of them has around 28 questions or 4 passages. As you know we get 3-4 passages in GMAT. Same in these excercises. LSAT passages are long and quite complex in terms of writing. Once you get used to text in these passages, our GMAT passages seem quite easy. Initially when I started LSAT RC exercises, the accuracy was around 60%. Slowly it increased to around 85%.

When I practiced in test mode, I did 13 LSAT CR, 15 SC, 28 RC questions in 80 mins. Some times I could not complete in time, and ended up doing only 14 RC questions, and some times only 21 RC questions.

In RC, understanding the intent of questions is also important. I can't see any other way than going through many questions to get familiarity with questions. When I was doing verbal in real GMAT, one passage was quite long but not that tough. Another passage was complex like a LSAT passage. But due to good practice, I could judge what are right answers. Scope often was a clinching factor.

Main barriers to good performance in RC, CR or SC are erect in the mind. Through practice we can overcome them and we get comfortable solving those types of questions. That comfort with solving these questions is also necessary, I feel.

Please don't ignore Quant, even if you are strong in that. Unless we practice everyday, in exam day even an average difficult question looks complex. I faced that problem last time.

I guess thats all I got to say :wink:

Last edited by aurobindo on 23 Jul 2007, 06:20, edited 3 times in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 05:52
Congratulations aurobindo!!!

Thanks for sharing inspirational experience.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 + [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 07:51
Thanks very much for the link...

It seems that the SC does not have answers posted to the doc. Could you send the SC answers as well?

Also, the DS link could not be downloaded. The folder does not hold any files. And the PS link does not have answers either. Do you know why?
Re: Another GMAT clubber gets 700 +   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2007, 07:51