Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another Profile Evaluation :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Another Profile Evaluation :) [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 17:21
Hi Guys,

I'm an absolute newbie to this forum and am amazed at the depth of information provided throughout this website - a big pat on the back to everyone!

Like everyone else...I wonder if you can help me out. I'm an Australian Indian (born in India, brought up in Sydney :)), 22 female. I am a little concerned about my age as an applicant but here is my background nonetheless.

- BSc Information Systems (most courses in Australia are 3 years) from University of New South Wales (UNSW). I was offered scholarships for computer engineering at both UNSW and UTS (another great university), however turned it down due to my focus on pursuing my career in an integration of Business with Technology.

- Worked 2 part-time jobs throughout the first two years of my degree (worked in retail as well as in admin for an Indian publicly listed company). In final year of uni (2003) I was offered a full-time job at Toshiba Australia in Business Process Re-engineering. I juggled full time uni with full time work and graduated on time in Nov 2003.

- After 14months in Toshiba, I moved onto Accenture as I felt my career progress in Toshiba was rather limited. At Accenture, I have worked on business proposals, lead the System Integration Test team, and assigned Change Management roles where I deal face to face with clients.

- Extra Activities: Part of a non-profit organisation where we raise funds for not only sick children in Australia, however donate 50% to a charity in India. Other charities: Cancer Council, Heart Foundation and Clean Up Australia. I've been involed in cricket and softball competitively till 2 years ago, due to work commitments and focusing more on charity work. I participate in Dance and Singing performances.

- I speak, read and write in Hindi fluently and have completed Stage I of Mandarin. I learnt Indonesian for 4 years during senior highschool and early university years.

I have yet to take my GMAT however my university score (we dont have GPAs here) is High Credit (71%). My letters of recommendation are being written my a Senior Manager and a Partner from my projects.

My numero uno choice for B-Schools is Kellogg, followed by Duke, NYU, Wharton and CBS.

How do you think my chances are?!??!! How many schools do you recommend that one should apply to?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and sorry about the essay!!!

Cheers,
Asmita

Asmita
Sydney, Australia

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 19:12
Expert's post
You could do pretty well in the application process, but yeah, your age was the first thing that I noticed. You mentioned Kellogg as your first choice (great!)... Kellogg doesn't have a hard age/experience cut-off, but most applicants tend to be 2-4 years older than you are.

So, my first advice would be to wait and get a little more experience, even though I think your profile sounds pretty good overall. Is there any reason why you feel you need to go to b-school now?

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 00:20
Hey Scott - thanks for your immediate response - cheers!

Quote:
Is there any reason why you feel you need to go to b-school now?

Well, I will have a solid 3 years full time work experience by next fall (I started working full time at Toshiba at 20). I suppose the only answer to your question is this: you know that feeling when you are absolutely ready to learn? I feel that am I an eager learner and even though I have only been working for just 2 years, I crave that learning environment. I am passionate about pursuing a successful career in Consulting as I have had some very inspiring people (like my Career Councillor, managers and mentors) provide me with not just their knowledge but opportunities for my own growth. I find my exposure from leading teams (either at work, sport captain or organising charity events) has contributed immensily to this feeling of learning from others - others who might have a lot more experience than me.

As corny as this sounds...I want to learn from other leaders, while also applying my experiences to whichever school I go to. I just find that my passion and readiness to 'study' further in such an environment has been ignited and I'd rather to do it now...when I have sufficient work experience and this motivation....then do it later when perhaps this motivation subdues?

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. It's just a feeling of wanting to learn MORE which will set me up to give back MORE :) I just feel that we are all very fortunate to have these opportunities and as golbal citizens, it is our responsibility to provide to the less fortunate...somehow in someway. (wow...how geeky do I sound.... :oops: )

Asmita
Sydney, Australia

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 04:31
Expert's post
No, I do understand! I was probably in a similar situation back when I first decided that I wanted to apply to b-school (I ended up waiting another two years).

I think that's valid, but just to play devil's advocate... I think an adcomm might read that as "youthful zeal," rather than "the perfect time for this person to get an MBA is now!"

I believe your passion for getting an MBA now. I just don't know if it will be enough to convince an adcomm that NOW is the time, rather than a year or two from now.

I hope that helps!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 05:03
Thanks Scott... :)

Gotta be in it to win it.....fingerscrossed...let's see how I go.

Thanks for everything!!!

Asmita
Sydney, Australia

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 10:29
Expert's post
I can't blame you. Good luck!! Please let us know how it goes!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews