Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another profile for evaluation, Applying fall 09

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Another profile for evaluation, Applying fall 09 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 20:09
Hi Paul/Others.
I am 27, Male, Indian Citizenship. My initial thoughts were to get a part time MBA, but after getting a decent score and, off late, feeling the urge to pursue a different career path that being a techie, I am seriously considering a full time program.

BSEE, Univ of Madras, India - 3.7 GPA(equivalent)
MSEE, Univ Of Colorado - 3.6GPA (experimented a bit too much)
GMAT - 730, Q45, V45
Work experience - 4.5 Years (at App time) as an Analog Circuit designer at a top semiconductor company.

Career progress - Did work my way from lab rat to design engineer in 1.5 yrs and got promoted this year to Sr.Design Engineer. I am involved in the group strategy but my voice and scope are limited.

Hobbies - Avid golfer, Skier and bicyclist. Represented my college in India in Basketball and Volleyball. This is nothing like representing your college in the US though. The skill levels and time devoted to sports in the US are way more that what we had and did.

Social stuff - Joined Habitat for Humanity this year. Did a bunch of volunteering during my undergrad. Occasional volunteer activities during my first few years of work but nothing of significance. Organized ski trips in the winter for the past 3 years for the young and the restless in my company. This isn't an an official club of the company, just a big email list I managed and co-ordinated. I feel like this might be my weakest part.

Business related experience - Interned for my dad for 3 summers and handled the day-to-day activities for our ice-cream distributorship. In hindsight, despite not having classified this at that time, I learned quite a bit about cash-flow, inventory management and operations management.

Recommendations - Got a good set of senior management/technical people I can get recommendations from. (thank you company golf tournaments)

My goals -I would like to get into Strategy consulting/Business development once I get out of Business school. I would like to get into a top5 school or top 10 at least. Do you think this is achievable?

Also given my background, would you say that a school that will me well rounded would be a better idea than one that focuses on high-tech?

Thats a lot questions in one go so I apologize for hogging your time.Thanks in advance for your time and replies.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another profile for evaluation, Applying fall 09 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:17
Expert's post
daszero,

Your GMAT score is top-10 caliber, but your lack of managerial responsibility, less-than-stellar extracurriculars, and very common applicant pool (male Indian IT), mean top 10 schools will be longshots for you. Michigan might be a reasonable top 10 "reach" school for you to target. Financial Times ranks it no. 1 in corporate strategy. Other FT top 10 corporate strategy schools include Yale, IPADE, Georgetown, and Washington U. (Olin), and you would be competitive at these schools.

Not sure I understand your question regarding well-rounded vs. tech schools. If your goal is strategy consulting you should target schools that are strong in it -- period. If your goal is IT consulting then target schools, like UC Irvine, for example, that are strong in it.

Hope this helps.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Another profile for evaluation, Applying fall 09 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 20:51
Accepted.com wrote:
daszero,

Your GMAT score is top-10 caliber, but your lack of managerial responsibility, less-than-stellar extracurriculars, and very common applicant pool (male Indian IT), mean top 10 schools will be longshots for you. Michigan might be a reasonable top 10 "reach" school for you to target. Financial Times ranks it no. 1 in corporate strategy. Other FT top 10 corporate strategy schools include Yale, IPADE, Georgetown, and Washington U. (Olin), and you would be competitive at these schools.

Not sure I understand your question regarding well-rounded vs. tech schools. If your goal is strategy consulting you should target schools that are strong in it -- period. If your goal is IT consulting then target schools, like UC Irvine, for example, that are strong in it.

Hope this helps.

Paul,
Thanks for the reply!. Just to clarify I am not in IT. I work as an analog IC design engineer (think Analog Devices/Texas Instruments/Maxim) which, although high tech is completely different in job duties and skills that you need :). The field is relatively niche and specialized. One reason for the lack of managerial experience is that the groups tend to be very flat and small.

That being said, I can see how the pool (Indian/Male/High tech) is pretty big and I will have to differentiate myself from the rest.

I am sorry about second question, it was a little too ambiguous, badly phrased and open ended for this forum..

P.S - I bought your book last week and has given me a few new perspectives on writing essays. :cool
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another profile for evaluation, Applying fall 09 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 08:09
Expert's post
daszero,

Thanks for the clarification. And thanks for reading my book. If it passes muster, I'd be eternally grateful if you'd add a positive blurb on the book's Amazon.com page.

Thanks,
--Paul

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog