Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another profile requesting your evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Another profile requesting your evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 12:26
Hi Scott and Omari:

Although reading profiles of other applicants provides a good idea, I am curious to hear what you all think of my profile. So here it is:

Undergrad: Physics major with a very low GPA of 2.6
Graduate degree: MA in Economics from JHU (part-time). GPA: 3.62

GMAT: Currently at 650 and retaking it in a few days to hopefully bring it up to 700+

Work experience: 4+ years at a big international organization which is in the media almost everyday. Have progressed my career at this organization from a ‘temp’ in the recession of 2001 to my current staff position as a Financial and Accounting Analyst. I work on projects that are regularly mentioned in the international news and deal on a daily basis with central bank authorities etc.

Undergraduate experience: Was way too involved in college. Was the elected president of an international organization for 2 consecutive years, was elected to be on the Student Senate, part of Dean’s Advisory committee, co-founded a Cricket club and a Chess club and played rugby and soccer. These are just a few of the activities I was involved in.

Post-graduate extracurricular experience: nothing major as I was attending graduate school mostly. Did tutor math to a high school student for a Summer (but that was paid)

Reason for pursuing MBA: Want to break into the private sector after having worked purely at a non-profit international organization. Interested in the derivatives market and after talking to people in my area of interest I have realized that MBA is the logical bridge required to land a job in that field.

Other factors pertaining to (the rather embarrassing) undergraduate academic record: While being extremely involved, I had to sponsor 50% of my tuition in the last 2 yrs of college. As a result I was working over 30 hours a week in different part-time jobs, which included bar-tending at a popular college bar and as research assistant designing and testing LASER circuits for a Physics professor.

Targeted schools: Columbia, MIT, Wharton, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell and possible Harvard and Duke.

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Cheers.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 05:52
Expert's post
Hello,

After reading your profile, a few thoughts/questions come to mind for me. You don't have to answer them here, but just be aware that adcomms may ask these questions:

1) Your undergrad GPA is pretty low. While it sounds like there were some reasons, be aware that this will be a weakness in your app. Don't draw too much attention to it by making all sorts of excuses, but do make clear that you have the ability and discipline to do better in b-school.

2) You majored in physics but now do accounting... Adcomms will probably wonder how/why you made this switch.

3) That's great how you worked your way into the organization as a temp. But I'd be interested to know more about the impact you're making on the jobs now... Are you leading any teams, running any projects, etc.? Any leadershi pexamples like this will be very valuable.

4) I think your choice of schools is good, but also consider NYU and (if you're willing to move away from the east coast) Chicago GSB. Also, Rochester isn't as well known, but is very good in finance, as is Indiana.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 08:57
Thanks for your reply. I do realize that my undergrad GPA is a major weakness, but do you think that the graduate degree, which is more recent (completed course work in summer 2005), will make up for that?

Thanks again.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 12:48
Expert's post
You're right... Your graduate work will definitely help you some there. Make sure to highlight that!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews