Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 03:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another Retake Question - 690 Overall, Looking Towards PhD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Another Retake Question - 690 Overall, Looking Towards PhD [#permalink] New post 04 May 2014, 09:08
Hey all,

I took the GMAT for the first time two weeks and had some mixed results. Overall score was as follows: 690 overall (87%), 49 Q (81%), 34 V (70%), 8 IR (93%), 6 AWA (91%). I was pleased with the IR and AWA score and felt fine with the Q score. However, the V score was a bit of a bummer. To give some background, I am planning to pursue my PhD in Accounting. While I'm not targeting the super-elite schools, I am looking at some of the higher ranked institutions within a specific accounting field (think Washington, UNC, etc). Most of these schools that report average scores of those admitted are in the 700-730 ballpark. I know some guides that say you're fine once you're at or around 700, but I feel that is mostly targeted towards MBA applications rather than PhD applications.

Some other pertinent information: I took 3 MGMAT practice tests which ranged from 650 - 700 and 2 GMATPrep practice tests, which ranged from 700 - 710 (the Q/V split on these was pretty similar to my actual score). I used all 8 of the MGMAT books plus the OG (12th ed) for preparation and nothing else.

So, the big question is: should I retake? To be completely honest, I probably did not prepare enough for the V section as I figured I would be able to handle it without too much issue as English is my first (and only) language. That turned out to not be the case. I think the primary issues were lack of preparation and fatigue; I feel I simply ran out of energy by the time the Verbal came around. It's hard to pinpoint which parts of the Verbal section I struggled on, but if I were to guess, I'd say it was SC and/or CR. I feel if I hone in on some of the Verbal concepts in further detail then I should be able to improve my score enough to reach my target, which is ideally over 700 and preferably right around 720. I'm confident the AWA/IR/Q scores are not flukes; I never scored below 49 Q on any of the GMATPrep practice exams and felt the Q questions on the actual test were relatively straight-forward.

Anyway, thanks for reading and any insight you might have! I'll browse the forums for guides on improving V to around 40, but if anyone has any good links they know off-hand I would certainly appreciate them.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Another Retake Question - 690 Overall, Looking Towards PhD   [#permalink] 04 May 2014, 09:08