Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6340 [39]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6340 [2]
Send PM
Re: Anselm of Canterbury (1033 – 1109) was a medieval theologian. [#permalink]
Kudos
Mechmeera wrote:
Excellent I got it wrong again :-D.

This approach is much better ;)

Hello Mechmeera

This is really convoluted question and I spent a lot of time when I firstly saw it and I didn't solve it correctly.

Firstly it says that in the world present a distinction between objects:
1) objects without which world can easily exist
2) objects that should exists because without them world can't exist

Secondly it says that there is should be one necessary object that created all objects from first group (nonessential objects)

So for me it looks like we made a conclusion that
"there is must be one necessary object" [because] "nonessential objects must be created by essential object"

So this conclusion based on the theory that should be proved and this conclusion is used for proving this theory. This is vicious circle.
This is wrong because if conclusion is correct than theory is correct but if conclusion is wrong then theory is wrong too.
So we can't do final conclusions about essential object and God on the basis of this distinction between the two types of objects.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Harley1980 wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:
Excellent I got it wrong again :-D.

This approach is much better ;)

Hello Mechmeera

This is really convoluted question and I spent a lot of time when I firstly saw it and I didn't solve it correctly.

Firstly it says that in the world present a distinction between objects:
1) objects without which world can easily exist
2) objects that should exists because without them world can't exist

Secondly it says that there is should be one necessary object that created all objects from first group (nonessential objects)

So for me it looks like we made a conclusion that
"there is must be one necessary object" [because] "nonessential objects must be created by essential object"

So this conclusion based on the theory that should be proved and this conclusion is used for proving this theory. This is vicious circle.
This is wrong because if conclusion is correct than theory is correct but if conclusion is wrong then theory is wrong too.
So we can't do final conclusions about essential object and God on the basis of this distinction between the two types of objects.

Thanks for the response as I felt that I understood some part of it.
But the whole argument is really confusing and I could not get a complete clarity even now.
This sounds like Alchemist theory. :(
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6340 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Mechmeera wrote:
Thanks for the response as I felt that I understood some part of it.
But the whole argument is really confusing and I could not get a complete clarity even now.
This sounds like Alchemist theory. :(

Hello Mechmeera
I have another idea maybe it helps.

Let's pretend that we want to prove existence of God to somebody.
We say that all objects are divided ontwo groups: one group can be not existed and it's okay and another group this is crucial objects.
We can infer that all this life should be started by somebody and this object is essential for life. And this is God.

Actually this is quite usual explanation in a lot of religions.

Maybe it is true but this is non scientific approach to approvement. Because we actually say that God should exist because somebody should create all this from scratch.

So let's back to our argument: this distinction of all objects on two group is correct if God exist but this distinction is incorrect if God not exist so we can not use this distinction to prove existence of God.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Harley1980 wrote:
Anselm of Canterbury (1033 – 1109) was a medieval theologian. According to the Anselm's ontological argument for the existence of God, "accidental beings" are all those things --- essentially all sense object ---- whose non-existence could be imagined without inherent contradiction, and "necessary beings" are those things whose existence is guaranteed precisely by what they are. Because accidental beings could not have guaranteed that they ever would come into existence, there must be a necessary being upon whom all the accidental beings depends to bring them into existence; and this necessary being Anselm identifies with God, who therefore clearly must exist.

In our modern analysis, this eleventh century argument is most vulnerable to what criticism?
So, this is a 700 level question as the para itself is quite tricky."necessary beings" exists was the supposition the author made even before proving that points. It is like saying, "hey! I am assuming that statement X is valid and I am proving it now"
A) It establishes an effect that must exist well before its cause. Nothing to do with the timings.
B) It completely depends on a definition of a term that stands in stark contrast to the everyday understanding of the term.Close call. One who will restrict his understanding to the facts given in the para and will not let his own viewpoint collude, will not choose B
C) The conclusion supports facts that directly contradict the evidence given to support it.Wrong | No reference to facts
D) It makes a distinction that presupposes the truth of the conclusions that is to be established. Explained above
E) It presents as evidence in support of a claim information that is inconsistent with other evidence presented in support of the same claimI couldn't find two evidences.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Send PM
Anselm of Canterbury (1033 – 1109) was a medieval theologian. According to the Anselm's ontological argument for the existence of God, "accidental beings" are all those things --- essentially all sense object ---- whose non-existence could be imagined without inherent contradiction, and "necessary beings" are those things whose existence is guaranteed precisely by what they are. Because accidental beings could not have guaranteed that they ever would come into existence, there must be a necessary being upon whom all the accidental beings depends to bring them into existence; and this necessary being Anselm identifies with God, who therefore clearly must exist.

In our modern analysis, this eleventh century argument is most vulnerable to what criticism?

This question can be best solved by POE.

A) It establishes an effect that must exist well before its cause. Eliminate because there is no cause and effect present in the argument.
B) It completely depends on a definition of a term that stands in stark contrast to the everyday understanding of the term. Eliminate because we do not for sure what is the everyday understanding of the term.
C) The conclusion supports facts that directly contradict the evidence given to support it.
There are no evidence in the argument. Eliminate.
D) It makes a distinction that presupposes the truth of the conclusions that is to be established.
E) It presents as evidence in support of a claim information that is inconsistent with other evidence presented in support of the same claim.
One evidence is in-consistence with the other. But where are these evidences. Eliminate.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM