Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 13:57

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 11/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 1

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 07:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did

Guys, I chose C, but I really don't understand why the OA is B. Whenever you have "and", you're connecting either 2 phrases or 2 clauses, which require a comma before "and."; However, since we don't have a comma before "and", we obviously don't want to connect 2 clauses, which means having both a subject and a verb, because that would create a run-on sentence. When you look at what B does:

yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,

The reason I liked option C is that "is" is removed, making the sentence after "and" a phrase and doesn't change the fact that "is" is implied:

yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap (is) so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else

can someone explain why B is correct and how come we don't have a run-on sentence after "and" in option B??
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 19

Re: SC: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 08:00
tarek99 wrote:
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,

Guys, I chose C, but I really don't understand why the OA is B. Whenever you have "and", you're connecting either 2 phrases or 2 clauses, which require a comma before "and."; However, since we don't have a comma before "and", we obviously don't want to connect 2 clauses, which means having both a subject and a verb, because that would create a run-on sentence. When you look at what B does:

yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,

The reason I liked option C is that "is" is removed, making the sentence after "and" a phrase and doesn't change the fact that "is" is implied:

yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap (is) so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else

can someone explain why B is correct and how come we don't have a run-on sentence after "and" in option B??

B for llism: "temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective"

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 08:05
tarek99 wrote:

I picked C as well. But, B seems to be right one due to parallel construction of

the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 08:33
guys, but what about the point I addressed regarding the issue of run on sentence? how come option b doesn't have a run on sentence? how come "and" in option b is connecting 2 clauses on both sides? shouldn't there be a comma before "and" so that the connecting of the 2 clauses becomes legal? would someone please address this point?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 19

Re: SC: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 14:13
tarek99 wrote:
guys, but what about the point I addressed regarding the issue of run on sentence? how come option b doesn't have a run on sentence? how come "and" in option b is connecting 2 clauses on both sides? shouldn't there be a comma before "and" so that the connecting of the 2 clauses becomes legal? would someone please address this point?

B is not a run-on sentence. In a run-on sentence, two independent clauses are not joined by any conjunction where as they must be. for ex:

Ron is hungry, he is going home.

here both clauses are independent clauses. so they must be joined either by a conjunction (and, or, etc.) or by a semi-colon, then only the sentence makes sense.

the correct expreseeions are:

Ron is hungry and he is going home.
Ron is hungry; he is going home.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

SVP
SVP

Re: SC: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 14:56
GMAT TIGER wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

B is not a run-on sentence. In a run-on sentence, two independent clauses are not joined by any conjunction where as they must be. for ex:

here both clauses are independent clauses. so they must be joined either by a conjunction (and, or, etc.) or by a semi-colon, then only the sentence makes sense.

thanks GMAT TIGER for your response. Now, I need to be clear with something here. When the conjunction "and" is connecting 2 clauses, shouldn't "and" be preceded by a comma? For example:

Ron is hungry, and he is going home--->shouldn't this be correct? However, when "and" is connecting 2 phrases or a clause to a phrase, then no comma will need to precede "and." When do we need a comma before "and"?
thanks

Last edited by tarek99 on 10 Aug 2008, 04:54, edited 3 times in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 17:09
tarek99 wrote:

B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, -> would in the following clause makes me go for this option,we take a hypothetical scenario and predict the result ,here we say were Y to do so ,x would happen
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else -> incorrectly or else is used

For parallelism eliminate A,D,E
B Vs C
B Wins IMO B

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP

Re: SC: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 17:27
tarek99 wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

thanks GMAT TIGER for your response. Now, I need to be clear with something here. When the conjunction "and" is connecting 2 clauses, shouldn't "and" be proceeded by a comma? For example:

Ron is hungry, and he is going home--->shouldn't this be correct? However, when "and" is connecting 2 phrases or a clause to a phrase, then no comma will need to proceed "and." What do need a comma before "and"?
thanks

consider this sentence

and is a conjunction hence used to connect two situations.
and, also does the same but the coma following it has some info about a condition or comparison etc

x is true and ,conversely,y will work too.

examples are given below:
x and y
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 a.m. and continue as long as the supply lasts

x and,z,y
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 a.m. and ,immediately following it, will be the speech by president

None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most of the people exposed to the alleged causes do not commit crimes and, conversely, why so many of those not so exposed have.

None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most of the people exposed to the alleged causes do not commit crimes and why so many of those commit crimes in the first place

Ron is hungry and,skipping his classes, he is going home.

we are gonna give additional info in between comas to state the situation following and may have some dependency with first.
I hope This helps.

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP

Re: SC: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2008, 02:29
thanks but I was talking about having a comma before "and". This is the first time i see a comma AFTER "and".
VP
VP

Re: SC: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2008, 03:56
tarek99 wrote:
thanks but I was talking about having a comma before "and". This is the first time i see a comma AFTER "and".

oops :roll:
even i would like to know whats the significance of ,and

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: SC: Antarctica   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2008, 03:56