Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2008, 10:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

62% (01:53) correct 38% (01:15) wrong based on 30 sessions
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2008, 11:19
nmohindru wrote:
Nihit wrote:
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,

IMO B) ... ||ism

While I agree with the answer, I dont agree that its parallelism. IMO, Mere use of two so's does not signify parallelism. thoughts

Idiom So X that Y
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 271 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2008, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Nihit wrote:

I think the answer is C

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

why do I feel were it to do so, in B is not so right?

I may be wrong. But this is my opinion :suspect

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 697 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 23:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think B mentains ||sm but the last part, ; were it to do so, is not good.

Can someone explain on this part?

amitdgr wrote:
Nihit wrote:

I think the answer is C

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

why do I feel were it to do so, in B is not so right?

I may be wrong. But this is my opinion :suspect

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 09:04
I am equally confused by option B. semicolon (;) introduces independent clause that should stand on its own. How does "were it to do so" fit into the independent clause?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 07:20
While I agree with ||ism with so ..so....but could someone explain how does "were it to do so" fit into the independent clause?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
I think the 2nd part of the sentence is hypothetical so its in subjuntive mood structure.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1552 [0], given: 248

Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 08:40
Expert's post
In B, Were it to do so is just a poetic way of expression. Otherwise it simply is the past subjunctive mood of the hypothetical and impossible phenomenon, which literally means - if it were to do so -. So B is passable.

But C has a problem of an independent clause starting with - or else - being conjugated by a simple comma.

The plausible choice must be B as others can not stand the llism test and are riddled with other errors too.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 09:50
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 212 [1] , given: 20

Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 15:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hello, everyone:

I'll take up the cause of "what does 'it' refer to in choice B" a little further. In B, not only does the pronoun "it" present a reference problem, but the phrase "were it to do so" also has no logical referent. Because we're already saying that "little polar ice melts", so "were it to do so" only confirms that, yes, it does melt...but we've already acknowledge that. Without a transition like "were MORE ice to melt", this phrase is illogical.

Interestingly, in Googling this question to see if I could find an official source for it, I've found an alternate version of choice B that begins:

were it NOT to do so

Even that seems dubious to me as that would also seem an illogical meaning (were little ice NOT to melt...), but the whole process makes me wonder a bit about the true wording of this question. B, as written, cannot be correct, but C doesn't look to be correct either (the "or else" is a bit of a run-on sentence). Does anyone have the original source on this one? Since there are a few versions of these answer choices out there, I wonder if the exact question is worded differently than we have it .

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 11:12
It is a main clause after semicolon in B , so there is no problem with that choice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 16:08
B it is, since...

correct use of idiom so... that
parallel construction, in parallel with "temperatures are so cold "
Use of "were it to do so" correctly represents past subjunctive mood which can be interpreted as "otherwise".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 05:38
Basically this is a parallelism question. B is the correct answer as it correctly maintains the parallelism (so cold and so reflective).

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Antarctica [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 01:12
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hello, everyone:

I'll take up the cause of "what does 'it' refer to in choice B" a little further. In B, not only does the pronoun "it" present a reference problem, but the phrase "were it to do so" also has no logical referent. Because we're already saying that "little polar ice melts", so "were it to do so" only confirms that, yes, it does melt...but we've already acknowledge that. Without a transition like "were MORE ice to melt", this phrase is illogical.

Interestingly, in Googling this question to see if I could find an official source for it, I've found an alternate version of choice B that begins:

were it NOT to do so

Even that seems dubious to me as that would also seem an illogical meaning (were little ice NOT to melt...), but the whole process makes me wonder a bit about the true wording of this question. B, as written, cannot be correct, but C doesn't look to be correct either (the "or else" is a bit of a run-on sentence). Does anyone have the original source on this one? Since there are a few versions of these answer choices out there, I wonder if the exact question is worded differently than we have it .

I am glad my reasoning resonates with that of yours :)

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 291

Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 06:33
i am a lil skeptical about using little of the polar ice melts
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 65

Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 21:58
I hope such questions does not show up on final day ...
Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other   [#permalink] 27 May 2014, 21:58