Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 10:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did

Please explain your choices.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 10:51
C looks like the best:

(i) Correct use of so...that...
(ii) Avoidance of the use of it in the last part of the correction (such as in B and D) since it can refer to any of Antartica, ice cap, or polar ice melt
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 20:20
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,

This is a vey nice post. Very tricky choice between B and C. I would finally vote for B because of correct ussage of idiom, (so ........that ) and parelleism (yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that C omits this rule.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 22:40
sdanquah wrote:
This is a vey nice post. Very tricky choice between B and C. I would finally vote for B because of correct ussage of idiom, (so ........that ) and parelleism (yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that C omits this rule.

I would go for C.

sdanquah, I think answer to your question is: C is still okay with a missing "is" due to ellipsis. Eg: Roses are red and violets blue.
If you search through the archive, you can find better examples from Paul.

The problem with B is that "little polar ice" is better than "little of the polar ice".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Antarctica [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 23:30
anuramm wrote:

Please explain your choices.

I go for B for two reasons:

1- parallelism - "temperatures are so cold" and "ice cap is so reflective"
2- the use of ;and "were it to do so" makes the latter half of the sentence clearer than in C. Also, the use of "or else" in C seems to go against parallelism.

whats the OA?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 03:22
The OA is B.
What i dont understand in B is -
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

In the second half of the sentence , 'were it to do so' , what does 'to do so' refer to. I think that the first part of the sentence talks about little of the polar ice melting during the summer. If i say that 'to do so' also refers to little ice melting, then the second part doesn't make sense.
I understand that the second part uses subjunctive style since it talks about some impossible situation.
Can anyone please clarify my doubt.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 06:36
anuramm wrote:
The OA is B.
What i dont understand in B is -
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

In the second half of the sentence , 'were it to do so' , what does 'to do so' refer to. I think that the first part of the sentence talks about little of the polar ice melting during the summer. If i say that 'to do so' also refers to little ice melting, then the second part doesn't make sense.
I understand that the second part uses subjunctive style since it talks about some impossible situation.
Can anyone please clarify my doubt.

Thanks.

Anuramm:

in the phrase 'were it to do so" - "so" implies "if the polar ice WAS IN FACT to melt, the level of water in the ocean would rise and the cities would be submerged"

I am not sure what the confusion is.
hth
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 09:18
I think Stuti has done a better explanation. The other confuson about this question is the introduction of 'it' in the last part of sentence B. what is 'it refering to, is it the caps or the Artartica.
it can't be the cap because of the semi-colon. The it must refer to the subject of the sentence,

I must admit is a very good question and it took me several minutes to make a good guess. In the end I have to rely on parallelsim and right usage of idiom.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 09:59
agree with B.

this SC checks for parallelism and includes subjunctive. "were the polar ice to melt" -- "it" clearly refers to polar ice and the sentence pertains an uncertain situation (subjunctive).

consider this:
I don't destroy public property, but if I were to do so, I would be arrested and beaten. (do so -- destroy public property)
and,
Would there be any blame on me if I were to do so?
:)

good explanation, Stuti :cool
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 10:22
Thanks stuti,sdanquah and dj for the explanation. somehow, i was thinking that 'to do so' refers to little of the ice melting. dj, your example is very apt.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2004, 09:47
I would prefer C. In B 'were it to do so' actually would require a reference to melting of large quantities of polar ice; something not quite reflected by saying that 'little polar melts during summer'

~ Mnj

[#permalink] 11 Sep 2004, 09:47