Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anthropologists assert that cultures advance only when

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Anthropologists assert that cultures advance only when [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2004, 18:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Anthropologists assert that cultures advance only when independence replaces dependence---that is, only when imposition by outsiders is replaced by initiative from within.
In other words, the natives of a culture are the only ones who can move that culture foward. Non-natives may provide valuable advice, but any imposition of their views threatens independence and thus progress.
If one looks at individual schools as separate cultures, therefore, the key to educational progress is obvious:

which one of the following best completes the passage?

(A) individual schools must be independent of outside imposition

(B) some schools require more independence than others, depending on the initiative of their staffs and students

(C) school systems officials must tailor their initiatives for change to each individual school in the system

(D) outsiders must be prevented from participation in schools’ efforts to advance

(E) the more independent a school is, the more educational progress it will make
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2004, 20:36
A?

B is out since there is no discussion on special cases.
C is out since it the natives of school who should take initiative, not the outsiders (School system guys)
D is out, since outsiders should not be prevented perse, they can still gve advice, but not any imposition.

Between A and E, I choose A. A sounds okay with the "key".
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2004, 20:48
A. I concur with hardworking_indian
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2004, 19:49
I was confused between A and E too. However I like E better. A states schools must be independent of outside imposition. However the question stem is a little more specific about outside impostion. The first sentence says - "only when imposition by outsiders is replaced by initiative from within."

Thus there's more than just removing imposition. I guess E is a more accurate summary in keeping with the spirit of the passage.

However I doubt the answer choices are GMAT quality. ETS usually never keeps such ambiguities as the one between A and E.

Do we know the OA?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2004, 08:35
Thanks

this is a LSAT question.

the OA is A
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2004, 17:08
I hate to say this but I hate LSAT questions.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 11:34
I am still not sure between a and e.
can anybody explain.

Regards, S

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 11:58
saurya_s wrote:
I am still not sure between a and e.
can anybody explain.

Very simple.

the key to educational progress is obvious

a. individual schools must be independent of outside imposition

Key to progress is to remain independent.

e. the more independent a school is, the more educational progress it will make

The statement already mentioned that the KEY to educational progress is obvious. E is regurgitating the same info. It's like saying "the key to become smarter is obvious, the more he studies, the smarter he becomes." Therefore, E does not make any sense, the statement is running in a loop.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 13:52
I think E requires the assumption that there is a perfect correlation between independence and progress - I don't see such an indication in the passage. I also feel a slight contradiction with the passage, because "non-natives may provide valuable advice", meaning that outside influence can actually facilitate progress.

A seems ok.
  [#permalink] 16 Aug 2005, 13:52