Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 22:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:43) correct 30% (01:01) wrong based on 105 sessions
Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of economic shifts that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills.

A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
C) that have depressed the wages of workers with few or no technical skills
D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed
E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 08 Sep 2013, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 37

Re: Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decade [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 00:01
Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of economic shifts that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills.

[strike]A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills[/strike] - Eliminate from "little"
[strike]B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills[/strike] - Eliminate from "having"
[strike]D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed[/strike] - Eliminate from "workers' wages". Also, the original sentence implies that the shifts have depressed the wages. D decreases the significance of the depression of wages through its usage of "which".
[strike]E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed[/strike] - Eliminate from "in that"

So let's go with C.

Last edited by vandygrad11 on 10 Jun 2012, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decade [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 00:04

A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
INCORRECT: can't say "with little or no technical skills." That's like saying "with little technical skills," it should be with "few technical skills."

B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
INCORRECT: again the use of "little" is wrong.

CORRECT: uses "few"

D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed
INCORRECT: is saying that the wages have few or no technical skills

E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed
INCORRECT: use of "in that" is wrong
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decade [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 00:14
For some reason I thought skills weren't countable...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 29

Re: Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decade [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 09:23
how did you guys decide whether to use few or little, is skill a countable or uncountable noun
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 13

Re: Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decade [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
I think skills would be countable. For example, "I have one skill (reading)." Or "I have two skills (reading and writing)."

I think skills are countable but the level of skill is not. For example, "He has little skill in reading (his level of reading is poor)."
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 15:26
about this question, I am a little bit skeptical about the fast that skill is considered a countable work. As said before I have the feeling that it could be both considered as countable or uncountable (you can think of the number of "skills" a person has, or "his skills" as a word to mean his "competence" or "his ability' to do the work and in this case it is uncountable). Can somebody clarify this?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1035 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 04:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Jackouille wrote:
about this question, I am a little bit skeptical about the fast that skill is considered a countable work. As said before I have the feeling that it could be both considered as countable or uncountable (you can think of the number of "skills" a person has, or "his skills" as a word to mean his "competence" or "his ability' to do the work and in this case it is uncountable). Can somebody clarify this?

Hi Jackouille,

Yes, "Skill" can be both countable and uncountable. In the question's context few is correct few would be appropriate. "Skills" in the question are countable; a worker may have accounting skills, computer skills etc..

He has fewer technical skills than I have. -- > correct

He has lesser technical skills than I have. -- > incorrect

"skills" the plural form of "skill" is almost always used as a countable

Consider the sentence - It doesn't take much skill to ride a bicycle with support wheels. -- skill is used as uncountable here

Hope it helps.

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

CEO
CEO
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 18:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2014, 18:28