Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anxiety over applications

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 12:09
I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety with the whole application process. I worry about little things...This thing has taken over my life. I am always thinking about b-school applications. Yesterday, I had to count to ten several times when I was driving home because I was panicking...I think I have a problem. What will I do after I have submitted my applications and I am waiting to learn the decision.
What do you guys do when you feel yourself losing it?? How do you stay sane through this process??
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 12:20
I just remember that there is always next year. Not getting into a B-School this year is not the end of the world. I take it your employed right now, which is a lot better than approx. 10% of the elligible workforce right now, so that's a plus in and of itself.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 12:21
I'm having the same problems, but at night. Throughout my life, whenever I've been deep into a particular process, it takes over my thoughts at night - I dream about it and I wake up frequently and it is the subject of my thoughts. If only others could know the crazy dreams and conversations I had with myself while studying for the GMAT :lol: The best thing to do is to reassure yourself of the reasons you're applying and what about you makes you think you're a strong applicant. Accept the fact that admissions to top programs is stiff, but don't spend time fretting about others, think about yourself.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 12:35
To some extent, I believe that all candidates feel pressure from the application process (GMAT, LORs, Essays, TOEFL, etc., etc.). Truthfully so, applicants sacrifice countless hours to these applications (and money!).

Perhaps what is most comforting to me is that I love my job/company, my colleagues and career prospects. Quite frankly, the pursuit of an MBA for me is a personal goal, something beyond just career goals. A personal opinion of mine is that too many applicants place too much weight on the whole business school prospect in the first place; if you feel that you need an MBA to succeed in your professional life, something is wrong to begin with. (Just an opinion :) ) Give it your best shot, be yourself, and hope for the best.

I want to quote something a CEO said during a class visit of mine at Columbia Business School last week. "Most Ivy league b-schoolers have only known "yes" - yes to a perfect GPA, yes to a 700+ GMAT score, yes to the best schools and jobs.... Few have ever heard the word "no". In business, you will often be turned down - those who succeed are those who, despite the "no's" in life, make something of themselves".... Inspiring young guy

Hope that this helps...

Current Student

Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 12:42
Thanks guys for all the supporting words.

Triple5soul, I wish I had it like you but quite frankly, I think I need an MBA. I have a technical degree and work in a specialized industry. There are very few things I can do with my experience. Yes, I can change functions within my company but reality is, that is harder to do than going for an MBA and returning to the same company! I need a function and industry change and the MBA is the easiest path.

But you are right. Trying to enjoy the process is the best way to keep things in perspective and quite possibly, to produce the best applications.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 12:52
I completely understand. Put in your best effort and regardless of the result, you'll know that you did your best.

In fact, one of the reasons why I pushed all my apps to R2 was because I'm going "all in or not at all" (applying to 4 schools, top 10, this year and this year only). I felt that visiting the schools (which I was unable to do by R1) was important to me. I decided to push the apps, visit the schools and really polish my story. I know that, if it doesn't work out, at least I will tell myself that I did EVERYTHING I possibly could have that was in my control (visit schools, study hard, work on essays, etc.). Brief, I "terminated" any doubt in my mind that I could have done things differently. The rest is luck (maybe) :)

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 16:47
formerlyknownas wrote:
I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety with the whole application process. I worry about little things...This thing has taken over my life. I am always thinking about b-school applications. Yesterday, I had to count to ten several times when I was driving home because I was panicking...I think I have a problem. What will I do after I have submitted my applications and I am waiting to learn the decision.
What do you guys do when you feel yourself losing it?? How do you stay sane through this process??

In all seriousness....

The BSW thread about Harvard interviews appalled me. No one should be that worked up and insecure about business school. Business school is just one option, and frankly there are plenty of ridiculously successful people who've never attended.

I have my plan A, my plan B, and my plan C for the next 36 months. I have submitted 5 R1 apps to top-10 bschools, and frankly am somewhat concerned that their interview schedule will overlap with a rather busy work period as I attend conferences, teach other analysts, and participate in projects. I have my life and my work to worry about... and business school, while a fantastic opportunity, is not the end all and be all. So in summation...

Please relax. Submit the best application you can... then move on. It is no longer in your control as to whether or not you get an interview or acceptance, and therefore it's not worth fretting over. Deal with what you can control. Set yourself up as best you can for the next two years in ANY of your plans.

- LSMBA
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 21:11
I don't know what happened to chat during the day (and in the evenings) but last year, all of us applicants at GMATClub hung around in the chatroom ALL DAY LONG during the application season (logged in from work, logged in after we came home from work), freaking out about application anxiety TOGETHER. It helped a lot...knowing that there are others who share similar anxieties and worries.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2009, 20:56
2012dreams wrote:
I'm having the same problems, but at night. Throughout my life, whenever I've been deep into a particular process, it takes over my thoughts at night - I dream about it and I wake up frequently and it is the subject of my thoughts. If only others could know the crazy dreams and conversations I had with myself while studying for the GMAT :lol: The best thing to do is to reassure yourself of the reasons you're applying and what about you makes you think you're a strong applicant. Accept the fact that admissions to top programs is stiff, but don't spend time fretting about others, think about yourself.

the few days before i took my GMAT, i was concentrating pretty hardcore, but i guess i didnt realize it. the night after i took my test, and i could finally relax a little, my brain apparently still thought it was going 1000 mph. when i closed my eyes, all i could see were numbers flashing everywhere.

bottom line - it can definitely take over your life pretty quickly, just don't let it negatively affect your health or your family. other than that, just say 'godspeed' and try not to think twice after clicking 'submit' on your apps

GMAT Debrief

Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 07:17
Here's something funny. Before I started applying to school, I would tell everyone I was applying so I could practice my elevator story so to speak. Now when people ask me about it, I kinda of want to tell them they must have me confused with someone else, because what if I don't get in anywhere? I don't want to go through two months of saying, no I didn't get in and then having the uncomfortable "that's too bad" conversation. Now I'm thinking, geez, I wish no one knew I was applying :-D

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 07:30
Don't worry it will be great once you're at school. Well, for about a week, then recruiting anxieties take over. :lol: :cry:

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 07:57
highhopes wrote:
Here's something funny. Before I started applying to school, I would tell everyone I was applying so I could practice my elevator story so to speak. Now when people ask me about it, I kinda of want to tell them they must have me confused with someone else, because what if I don't get in anywhere? I don't want to go through two months of saying, no I didn't get in and then having the uncomfortable "that's too bad" conversation. Now I'm thinking, geez, I wish no one knew I was applying :-D

haha, for this exact reason i told as few people as possible (originally only my gf and best friend). unfortunately, my best friend has a big mouth and told my other best friend... then he told a couple of other people also by mistake. oh well

GMAT Debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 09:18
Sharing this just in case it offers some reconciliation: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/24/go ... ke-it-big/

I agree with triple5soul and lsmba - I am giving this application process my best shot and also have plans B and C in case it doesn't work out.

shadowsjc, after several sleepless nights dreaming about numbers, HBS interview counts, and essay outlines, I started to look for some quality ways to relax. This stuff is toxic.

Bottom line, this is a long game of wait and binge stressing. I think I have learned more about patience from this process than any other pursuit so far.

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 11:04
Great find on the Techcrunch article. I can relate to all of you who are expressing anxiety over applications. This first round ended up being ridiculously intense just doing three applications. I'm on the people who's checking the email every 10 minutes for a Wharton invite and my Booth app is still incomplete due to an outstanding rec. Kellogg is done but had a late rec so I'm not even sure I'll get R1 notification. At this point, I almost don't feel like getting started on R2.

There's two things that I'm taking away from R1 though: 1) Despite all the pressure from feeling like bschool is the only way to succeed, all one can do is put their best foot forward and see what happens. There are many other routes to professional success and personal achievement doesn't need to hinge on an MBA at all. 2) Getting too anxious during the app process results in an app of lesser quality. For my R2 schools, I need to get things under control and put out essays that I know are final, not just the ones that I'm starting at an hour before the deadline!

Good luck to those done with R1 and those starting on R2!
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 11:50
shadowsjc wrote:
highhopes wrote:

haha, for this exact reason i told as few people as possible (originally only my gf and best friend). unfortunately, my best friend has a big mouth and told my other best friend... then he told a couple of other people also by mistake. oh well

Yea I feel the same way. The fear of that embarrassment is causing as much anxiety as the fear of not getting in.

My recommender had a big mouth and told everyone at work...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 13:27
Rubashov1 wrote:
Don't worry it will be great once you're at school. Well, for about a week, then recruiting anxieties take over. :lol: :cry:

That's only you, for choosing 1 yr program! :-D

Current Student

Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 14:25
unhedged wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Yea I feel the same way. The fear of that embarrassment is causing as much anxiety as the fear of not getting in.

My recommender had a big mouth and told everyone at work...

Wow that must be pretty annoying. I told my recommenders to keep it confidential but that's no guarantee.

I see this post has struck a chord with a lot of people. It makes me happy to know I am not in this alone. I spent a good portion of yesterday looking for a good motivational book on Amazon.com. I wasn't sold on any so I am going to reread 'The Magic of Big Thinking' by David Schwartz (actually relisten because it is an audiobook).

I am also watching the things the tiny voices in my head tell me ; when they start getting negative, I stop listening. It sounds silly but it works! On the other hand, when I start fantasizing about being in class at Wharton, I stop that as well. I don't want the lows and I don't want the highs either. I want to be somewhere in the middle; focused on what's in front of me.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 15:13
Yea it really was frustrating because its hard to get any work where i can learn anything, all I get is busy work. I pretty much feel like i HAVE to leave regardless now, because they have planned it such that I'm already gone
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 15:38
nink wrote:
Rubashov1 wrote:

That's only you, for choosing 1 yr program! :-D

We had a whole summer of R&R! 1st years are already bogged down with company presentations and recruiting events.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Anxiety over applications [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 17:32
highhopes wrote:

So true. I'm really dreading having to break the news to my recommenders that only did I not get in but I also need more letters.
The other moment I am REALLY dreading is running into someone at my company who DID get in. I know the conversation will turn to whether I applied and oh it will be awful and embarassing :(
Re: Anxiety over applications   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2009, 17:32