Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Any advice is greatly appreciated! [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 02:45
Hi Everyone,

I was really hoping to gain some advice from you in regards to my GMAT study. I have taken the real GMAT exam today in Melbourne and scored 570 (Q:48 ; V:21). Unfortunately, this is my third attempt in 2 years. I am extremely disappointed with my performance and was REALLY hoping to get some top tips from you all on how can i improve.

Firstly, I'd like to share bit of background of myself, I am from China and lived in Australia for the past 10 years. I studied my high school and university in Brisbane and worked in a large organisation for the past 5 years. Currently I am working as a Corporate Strategy analyst in Melbourne.

Last year, i decided to take the GMAT exam as I was really hoping to pursue my MBA education in a top business school overseas. After 9 weeks prep, I took my GMAT in May and scored a shocking 560 (Q:46; V:21). There were some disruptive behaviours (people chatting outside the test room; construction work on the road; lost time during writing pad renewal process), so i decided to retake the exam in Sep. Another 11-12 weeks prep, I went through all verbal guides from Manhattan GMAT, and redid every single question on OG 13 and verbal review (2nd Ed), i scored 610 (Q:47; V: 27). Unfortunately the results were still not great. I was too disappointed and exhausted from GMAT studying. In the meantime, I had 3 work promotions and worked on a few challenging projects. Hence, I decided to retake my GMAT again in 2013.

From 24th June - 1st Oct this year, I have studied diligently most weekdays after work (from 9 or 10 pm - 12 or 1 am) and 7-8 hours study for all Sat and Sundays. Key materials that i've used include : a few Manhattan guides (SC;CR;Number properties); all verbal sections from 'crack the GMAT'; all SC questions from OG12&13, and Verbal review (2nd Ed).

Below are the schedule for all prac test i've taken:

25th June: Paper Test Code 14: 610 (Q:45; V: 31)

15th July: MGMAT CAT1: 650 (Q46; V33)
26th Aug: MGMAT CAT2: 670 (Q44; V37)
10th Sep: MGMAT CAT3: 630 (Q46; V31)
17th Sep: MGMAT CAT4: 620 (Q45; V31)
22nd Sep: MGMAT CAT5: 660 (Q45; V35)
28th Sep: OG Prep1: 710 (Q50; V34)
29th Sep: MGMAT CAT5: 680 (Q47; V35)
30th Sep: OG Prep2: 710 (Q49; V35)

Except the 1st paper exam, all the other exams were completed under real exam time requirements, no pause, no extra breaks, full AWA, full IR section.

I was very nervous the day before the exam, but still tried to give my best shot. I took 3 and a half days off work, that's why I managed to do 3 prac exams in the past 4 days. I went to bed around 11pm as per normal routine. I felt ok with AWA, bit nervous about IR; kind of ok with Quant. However, I was very very unsure about the first few verbal questions, my Q4-Q8 were RC, I can normally achieve 50% accuracy in RC, so I was not feeling confident. Then i realised i was bit slow, so i tried to speed up. However except the front section, i didn't feel the verbal section much harder than any of my prac however I did run out of time for the last 5 questions, i guessed about 3.

I knew i may struggle to get 700+, i thought I might see some score around high 600s, surprisingly i got a shocking 570.

I would really like to get a score around 700+ and am still planning to apply my MBA for Sep next year. (~apply in early Jan next year). Given limited time left before my application, I would really appreciate if anybody could help me to diagnose my poor performance today or point me to the right direction.

Thank you all

Best Regards,
Lydia
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 6

Re: Any advice is greatly appreciated! [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 15:12
Expert's post
lydialiu2262 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I was really hoping to gain some advice from you in regards to my GMAT study. I have taken the real GMAT exam today in Melbourne and scored 570 (Q:48 ; V:21). Unfortunately, this is my third attempt in 2 years. I am extremely disappointed with my performance and was REALLY hoping to get some top tips from you all on how can i improve.

Firstly, I'd like to share bit of background of myself, I am from China and lived in Australia for the past 10 years. I studied my high school and university in Brisbane and worked in a large organisation for the past 5 years. Currently I am working as a Corporate Strategy analyst in Melbourne.

Last year, i decided to take the GMAT exam as I was really hoping to pursue my MBA education in a top business school overseas. After 9 weeks prep, I took my GMAT in May and scored a shocking 560 (Q:46; V:21). There were some disruptive behaviours (people chatting outside the test room; construction work on the road; lost time during writing pad renewal process), so i decided to retake the exam in Sep. Another 11-12 weeks prep, I went through all verbal guides from Manhattan GMAT, and redid every single question on OG 13 and verbal review (2nd Ed), i scored 610 (Q:47; V: 27). Unfortunately the results were still not great. I was too disappointed and exhausted from GMAT studying. In the meantime, I had 3 work promotions and worked on a few challenging projects. Hence, I decided to retake my GMAT again in 2013.

From 24th June - 1st Oct this year, I have studied diligently most weekdays after work (from 9 or 10 pm - 12 or 1 am) and 7-8 hours study for all Sat and Sundays. Key materials that i've used include : a few Manhattan guides (SC;CR;Number properties); all verbal sections from 'crack the GMAT'; all SC questions from OG12&13, and Verbal review (2nd Ed).

Below are the schedule for all prac test i've taken:

25th June: Paper Test Code 14: 610 (Q:45; V: 31)

15th July: MGMAT CAT1: 650 (Q46; V33)
26th Aug: MGMAT CAT2: 670 (Q44; V37)
10th Sep: MGMAT CAT3: 630 (Q46; V31)
17th Sep: MGMAT CAT4: 620 (Q45; V31)
22nd Sep: MGMAT CAT5: 660 (Q45; V35)
28th Sep: OG Prep1: 710 (Q50; V34)
29th Sep: MGMAT CAT5: 680 (Q47; V35)
30th Sep: OG Prep2: 710 (Q49; V35)

Except the 1st paper exam, all the other exams were completed under real exam time requirements, no pause, no extra breaks, full AWA, full IR section.

I was very nervous the day before the exam, but still tried to give my best shot. I took 3 and a half days off work, that's why I managed to do 3 prac exams in the past 4 days. I went to bed around 11pm as per normal routine. I felt ok with AWA, bit nervous about IR; kind of ok with Quant. However, I was very very unsure about the first few verbal questions, my Q4-Q8 were RC, I can normally achieve 50% accuracy in RC, so I was not feeling confident. Then i realised i was bit slow, so i tried to speed up. However except the front section, i didn't feel the verbal section much harder than any of my prac however I did run out of time for the last 5 questions, i guessed about 3.

I knew i may struggle to get 700+, i thought I might see some score around high 600s, surprisingly i got a shocking 570.

I would really like to get a score around 700+ and am still planning to apply my MBA for Sep next year. (~apply in early Jan next year). Given limited time left before my application, I would really appreciate if anybody could help me to diagnose my poor performance today or point me to the right direction.

Thank you all

Best Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Sorry to hear that - this does seem to be a bit surprising given your past performance during practice.

How did you feel during the test?

If you plan to retake - be sure not to underestimate the psychological elements of the test: http://www.gmatpill.com/about/studying- ... trategies/

Also -based on your breakdown - it doesn't seem you improved verbal all that much. Half of your improvement came from quant it seems -- when someone in your position really should be boosting verbal quite a bit.

Try to revisit things and see what you could do differently. Because doing the same thing that you did before will likely result in similar outcomes.

Please see links below as resources - including a practice test you can potentially use to test yourself further. Remember - the critical point is to actually review and understand your mistakes.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Any advice is greatly appreciated!   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2013, 15:12