Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 08:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any advice is welcome. GMAT was devastation.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Any advice is welcome. GMAT was devastation. [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2005, 11:40
Hi,

I am new user here.
I gave my GMAT yesterday and got a miserable score - 550 (Q49, V18)

I used to do well on verbal during my practice tests. (Averaging about 35-37). But somehow I didn't start the verbal section well. Most of my SC questions were long, RC was ok (I was never strong on this one). CR was not as usual. There were not enough weakens/strengthen questions.

I plan to give GMAT next month. Any advice is appreciated. I am going through discussion forum and the topics are very useful.

Will my current score affect my chance to good BSchool?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2005, 11:54
First of all, 550 is not "devastation". It's above average. And congratulations on your 49 in quant - that's an awesome score!!! :-D So don't despair... you're off to a good baseline start.

On verbal, you're competing with people who speak English as their first language, so you have to allow for that to an extent; the schools consider it when they evaluate your application. They won't expect you to get a top score on the verbal section if your first language is not English. They're used to international applicants. In fact, you can partially compensate for a low verbal score with a high TOEFL score. Have you written the TOEFL yet? How did you score?

However, you will probably want to raise your score somewhat on the next attempt, just to convince the schools you apply to that you can handle studying in an English environment. With a score of 19, they may question your ability to understand readings, write papers and presentations, and otherwise follow the course material in English.

It sounds to me like you have the skills and capabilities to raise your verbal score. If you were scoring in the 30s on your practice tests, clearly your verbal skills are fairly high. I guess you just simply had a bad day when writing the verbal section of your test.

For SC, it may be helpful to obtain a standard book of English grammar and review some of the basic rules. For CR and RC, try practicing some newer material (e.g. more of the boldface-type questions) and also try this strategy, which worked fairly well for me: Make a grid (ABCDE) for all questions, and cross out wrong answers as you go along... but when doing so, write down next to it why you're crossing out an answer. For example, "too extreme" or "out of scope" or "180". Then, you'll be able to catch faults in your logic before making your final decision.

One other question: do you find you run out of time on the verbal section? If so, you might want to take a course in speed-reading. It can really help you speed up your timing.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2005, 12:06
Thanks a ton. Your reply was encouraging.

Few points to note were -
1. I felt extermely tired when I started verbal (although I had execellent run on essays and average performance on Math). I had a stressful week and couldn't sleep well previous night. I am not sure I much this contributes to my failure.

2. Most of SC questions were not straight forward although I was not scoring well. This was surprizing.

3. I typically do okay on SC and CR but I sometimes get bogged down by RC. I find myself running out of time. You mentioned something on speed reading. What is that?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2005, 12:29
A short course in speed reading can help you learn how to "skim" a passage very quickly and still get the most critical information out of it.

Sometimes, when you read a long passage, you forget the beginning by the time you get to the end. That can make RC very challenging, not to mention time-consuming, since you have to keep re-reading the passage.

Speed-reading is a technique that teaches you how to quickly go through the passage in a few seconds to identify the main idea, the scope, the subject matter, and the key purpose, among other things. Then, you can read it again more carefully for details, but you already have the basic premise in mind, so it makes the second and subsequent reads easier to understand.

Run a google search on speed reading for more info.

Remember: it's no substitute for a careful read for details. But it can help.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2005, 13:24
Thanks for your advice.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2005, 18:39
I agree with coffeeloverfreak, 550 is not a devastation. Especially when you have 49 in quant which means that you can mainly focus on verbal. It is always better than 30Q-30V in my opinion.
Actually I am in that position too, I got Q48V27 so I will take it again to try to improve my V score. Same fight as you mahesh004 :?

Keep the motivation, work on verbal, solve problems, understand why you choose this answer and not the others, etc...

for Sc i got the same problem, I found questions were easy, but now I presume it was because I was wrong :-D, I also got 1 boldface question so I was confident but eventually I've scored a disappointing 27. I think that if you take more time and practice more deeply SC, CR and RC, you can definitely improve your score.

You already know your Quant is ok. Focus on V.
And please note that this was your FIRST attempt. 49 is definitely great for a first attempt (I was 39 the first time :cry: ) and you can clearly improve this score...1st attempt is never the highest you can go.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2005, 19:26
my view has changed in last twenty four hours. Thanks to GMAT club. This site is too good.

It has give me strength to fight back.

Is 1 month enough to study verbal.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2005, 01:03
Well mahesh, it's very difficult to talk about how much time is 'enough'...

I think, what one should do is, keep up brushing till he/she feels confident! Write more practice tests time to time to check the comfort level...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2005, 10:24
I agree with Vivek. The GMAT is all about attitude. You gotta go in there knowing you're going to kick butt. When you feel like that, write the test.
  [#permalink] 11 Oct 2005, 10:24