Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any advice on my profile would be appreciated...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Any advice on my profile would be appreciated... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 09:56
Hi there,

So basically I graduated from Wilfrid Laurier University with a BA in Communication Studies (Business Minor). I was in the BBA program however after the first year I wasn't able to maintain my mark and had to get into another program. I definitely learned my lesson there. I believe the MBA school will see that listed on my transcript (since I got removed from the BBA program).

In any case, my final year average was a 3.0. However my final 2 years was around a 2.8.

Currently I am completing my CMA (certified management accountant) designation in Canada.

My job experience consists of working for Wal-Mart Corporate Office for 2.5+ years in an operations analyst role (supply chain/logistics focus), and 1+ years in an operations manager role (supply chain/logistics focus).

I have a few extracurricular things that I have peformed, which includes not-for-profit consulting for a few NPO's - as well as other forms of charitable work that I do with other charities (utilizing my skills to help in any way possible).

For my GMAT score, I am targeting a 650 - 680 range.

For my references, I haved asked my Director and my Vice President (both in supply chain/logistics) - and they have both agreed to write up an amazing commendation. I also have one academic professor back in university (he is a professor of business operatiors) whom is also able to write me a good commendation.

I am looking to apply to Canadian Part-Time MBA schools such as York (Schulich), Toronto (Rotman), etc... My main career focus is within supply chain/logistics/strategic operations.

So in a nutshell:

- 3.0 final year average GPA // BA in Communications (Business Minor) // Transcript might say "kicked out of BBA first year"
- Will have completed my CMA designation
- 2.5+ years as an ops analyst, 1+ years as an ops manager (both at Wal-Mart Corporate)
- GMAT score is 650 - 680 range
- Reference (2 from senior management level, 1 from academic professor)
- Extracurricular activities including NPO consulting, and other charitable work.

Do I even have a shot at a MBA? I think the only thing that is holding me back is my undergrad (which I believe is a huge mess up on my end). It's whats dragging me down to even trying for a MBA.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thank you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Any advice on my profile would be appreciated... [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 09:33
For the part-time programs in Canada, you should be competitive given your profile so long as your GMAT score is within 20 points or so of their incoming averages (I don't have the info off the top of my head, but I'm guessing their averages are around the mid-600s so you should be okay if your GMAT score ends up 650-680). Beyond that, so long as your written application and interviews are strong, you should be able to get in, even if you didn't complete your BBA and your undergrad grades weren't strong - they will value your work experience at Wal Mart (whose supply chain/logistics is renowned as one of the best in the world).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Any advice on my profile would be appreciated...   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2009, 09:33