Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any African American GMAT takers on here?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2011
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Any African American GMAT takers on here? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 11:12
I'm studying to take this thing for the 2nd time, first time I didn't really study and got a 550. My plan was to really study this time to have a fighting chance. I spoke with a good friend who's a Wharton Alum and happens to be AA, he told me to shoot for a 700+ and I'd be golden. However, I spoke with an Admin Counselor from a top school and was told to shoot for 650+ because AA's don't typically score high on the GMAT. On one hand I was relieved of the 700+ pressure, but on th other hand I was motivated to score that high to stand out even more.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated, AA or not :-)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 88
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Any African American GMAT takers on here? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 21:24
+150 will take more time than +100, so the other parts of your application and your target school should be considered.
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 76013

Re: Any African American GMAT takers on here? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 09:04
I've been wondering about gmatclub's demographics also lol. I'm black (Caribbean ancestry) and just took the gmat last weekend. I got a 730 (85th Math, 89th Verbal) and I'm happy about that. I think the 650+ is assuming the rest of your stats are on par with the school's average (work experience, Undergraduate Institution and GPA, Extracurriculars, Good essays).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 311
Location: United States
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Any African American GMAT takers on here? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 10:17
I'm an AA male,....got a 680,....problem is there is a severe imbalance in my score,....q38 (48%) v45(99%). Wonder how much that will effect me.....

I'm planning on writing up an addendum in which i will explain that my math score is not indicative of my math capabilities. Don't know if this addendum will help,..but I'm hoping w/ strong essays (i'm a very good writer) they can overlook my poor quant. I'm going for schools like Darden, Duke, Haas,...Dartmouth a reach. And some safeties thrown in. I'm being kinda ambitious w/ the school selections.

My gpa is not that good either,...3.1. But some good softs,..and an interesting background.

I've been told that not too many AAs get above mid to high 600s....wondering how true that is and whether this may help them overlook my poor quant.
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 76013

Re: Any African American GMAT takers on here? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 16:40
If you've done well in hard finance courses there's no reason not to retake the gmat and bringing that quant percentile at least in the high 60's...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 311
Location: United States
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Any African American GMAT takers on here? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 17:26
getienne wrote:
If you've done well in hard finance courses there's no reason not to retake the gmat and bringing that quant percentile at least in the high 60's...


I've already taken twice,...and i'm applying this year for 2nd round,..at this point my time would be better spent on the essays. Especially since i only have 2 months to put together apps for about 5 schools. I just have to convince them in the optional essay that the low quant score won't be a hindrance for me,..i think thats my best hope at this point.
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 488
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: Any African American GMAT takers on here? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 22:14
2012Gal wrote:
I'm studying to take this thing for the 2nd time, first time I didn't really study and got a 550. My plan was to really study this time to have a fighting chance. I spoke with a good friend who's a Wharton Alum and happens to be AA, he told me to shoot for a 700+ and I'd be golden. However, I spoke with an Admin Counselor from a top school and was told to shoot for 650+ because AA's don't typically score high on the GMAT. On one hand I was relieved of the 700+ pressure, but on th other hand I was motivated to score that high to stand out even more.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated, AA or not :-)


There are a lot of AA applicants who get 700+ GMATs. If you have a well-rounded application, you should be fine, just try to make it to the school's 80% median range.

But don't count on getting into Wharton just bec you are an AA. They'll cut you some slack but not a lot.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 311
Location: United States
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Any African American GMAT takers on here? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 06:11
gablaze23 wrote:
There are a lot of AA applicants who get 700+ GMATs .


Actually there aren't,...according to estimates only about 1-2% of AAs get 700+. A couple of years ago the number of AAs that took the GMAT was around 8K. So thats roughly 120 AAs with 700+ in the entire application cycle. All the top 10-15 with schools have 7-8% AA student body,...so mathematically there simply aren't enough AAs with 700 (or even close) to fill the desired percentage of AAs in their student bodies.

It follows that the top schools are willing to dip significantly further away from their gmat ranges to make sure they get enough AAs. How low they get is a matter of speculation.
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 488
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: Any African American GMAT takers on here? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 09:49
mooze wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:
There are a lot of AA applicants who get 700+ GMATs .


Actually there aren't,...according to estimates only about 1-2% of AAs get 700+. A couple of years ago the number of AAs that took the GMAT was around 8K. So thats roughly 120 AAs with 700+ in the entire application cycle. All the top 10-15 with schools have 7-8% AA student body,...so mathematically there simply aren't enough AAs with 700 (or even close) to fill the desired percentage of AAs in their student bodies.

It follows that the top schools are willing to dip significantly further away from their gmat ranges to make sure they get enough AAs. How low they get is a matter of speculation.


Wow really? If true, I stand corrected. I didn't know only 2% of AA test takers get 700+
Re: Any African American GMAT takers on here?   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2011, 09:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Any GMAT to-be takers in Atlanta GA MgmtGrad 0 31 Jul 2012, 15:48
1 African American Male Profile Evaluation Request - 730 GMAT chemE42 4 26 Mar 2012, 05:50
Experts publish their posts in the topic Any GMAT taker in Paris??? defoue 3 08 Oct 2009, 04:53
Any takers for this ashkrs 2 11 Sep 2007, 19:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Any African American GMAT takers on here?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.