Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any chance at a top 40 school without work experience?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Any chance at a top 40 school without work experience? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 11:25
I'm not sold on the idea of applying to business school yet, but am considering it. I would like to do the MBA as it would either convince me not to become a practicing physician (I would like to use my MBA and previous schooling in a related field), or along with my MD to hopefully put me in a better position to control my own practice (partners make significantly more, and I've seen large practices fall apart over mismanagement). After you start medical school you're on that track and it would impossible to try to do an MBA for a decade plus. I would ideally like to end up at a program in the top 40 of either Business Week or US New's rankings. My current stats are:

3.4 undergraduate GPA from a Top 15 US News Public Uni in Biology [3.1 major GPA]
Made Dean's List 5 quarters total and last 4 quarters consecutively
159V 161Q GRE [84/86% percentile; equates to 640 on official GRE conversion chart] after 3 days studying to apply to my current masters
3.1-.4 masters GPA from State Medical in Medical Science, finishing Dec. and thus range
Career goals were always medicine but have yet to take the MCAT
Lab experience [12 hours/week but only 3 months]
Traveled independently to over 60 countries somewhat subsidized
DJed professionally on 4 continents (I do have press features from big magazines/websites like Vogue and MTV but I'm not a career or famous DJ by any means. It was simply fun to do over breaks and I was always great at networking within the scene but couldn't get over the stage fright.)
I speak enough Spanish to travel, but plan on studying for hours a day after I finish my masters
No work experience
The closest thing to work experience I have is running an at home internet based business in high school that generated about $5000 over 2 years
Ethnically Asian but my parents are from the Caribbean and I was born and raised in the US
Both parents and 2 siblings are MDs/medical students.
26 years old turning 27 in Jan.

I'm considering applying to do a full-time MBA for next fall, and would retake the GRE in Jan. I was very comfortable with test format and didn't find it taxing at all. I assume if I were to put even 2 weeks preparations in I could improve my score. A 3 point improvement on both sections would equate to a 700, a 4 point would be 710 (although I've read that GMAT is preferred regardless of conversion). The current stats for a school like G Tech is 3.38 & 316GRE ( http://scheller.gatech.edu/mba/fulltime ... ofile.html ) and at Vanderbilt it's 3.4 & 320GRE ( http://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/admissio ... s/faqs.cfm ), which I already have, but obviously my Achilles' heel is a complete lack of work experience, in any field. I was hoping my major, masters, and extracurricular activities (if not prestigious at least they're unique and independently achieved) would hold some weight. I'll have above average essays and recommendations based on what I've had in the past. Do you think that would be realistic to apply to programs of this rank, or is having no work experience too much to overcome at this level?

The programs I am currently considering and their GMAT scores:
Indiana Kelley [671]
UNC Kenan-Flagler [690]
Emory Goizueta [677]
G Tech Scheller [682]
Maryland Smith [666]
Vanderbilt Owen [684]
Texas A&M Mays [649]
Ohio State Fisher [667]
Minnesota Carlson [693]
Wisconsin Madison [675]
Michigan State Broad [649], currently consider a Michigan resident
Washington Foster [682]
Penn State Smeal [653]
Illinois [657]
Arizona State Carey [673]
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9428 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Any chance at a top 40 school without work experience? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 12:14
Expert's post
I would not recommend it.... I can't see why you would want to borrow 150K to then borrow another 200K. I think it will do more harm than good, esp without work experience. Go for med school. You can always get an EMBA or PTMBA after you have been working for a few years and still think you need the MBA.... get the 7-year degree first; then the 2-year degree.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Any chance at a top 40 school without work experience? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 14:22
I understand what you're saying, but depending on how business school went, that would determine whether I would continue in medicine as a future doctor or have a career change (either in medicine or in another field). Money is not the issue, especially at the schools at are under $30k a year in tuition, and assuming a physician's salary, I would make that money spent back X-fold provided it gives me some sort of advantage in the future. I'm just wondering as to how competitive of an applicant I would be seen as by those schools.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Any chance at a top 40 school without work experience? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2013, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
I would definitely apply to Vanderbilt. They have a healthcare specialization, and there are quite a few MD/MBA students in the program right now. I would recommend the GMAT, but I know they accept both tests (for reference, I got a 700 on the GMAT and was accepted to Vanderbilt). I strongly feel, given your background in the health care field and Vandy's emphasis on their health care program and affiliations, you would be accepted and do well here. Your test scores, GPA, essays all sound like you're what they're looking for.
Re: Any chance at a top 40 school without work experience?   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2013, 09:22