Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

any change in GMAT ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 11

any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 03:10
i just heard from a friend that the new kaplan book she bought says change in GMAT pattern?
is it so?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 21:42
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Your friend is right. GMAT exam pattern is going to change. GMAT 2012 has been scheduled to launch in June 2012. The registrations for GMAT will be open from December 2011.

The new pattern will consist of four sections comprising Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative and Verbal. Apart from these, Analytical Writing Assessment will now comprise only one essay i.e., Analysis of Argument instead of two.

Although, total time for the exam has remained unchanged but division of time among the sections have some alterations. The former two sections will be of 30 minutes each whereas verbal and quantitative will be of 75 min each.

The Integrated reasoning will add new dimension of judging management skills. This new section will consist of 12 questions comprising of graphs and tables. Thus, to get the results one will have to assimilate, integrate, interpret, recognize and evaluate the problem. The test takers will be given 2 or 3 sources of information to evaluate the results.

Further, the scores of the integrated reasoning section will be separately given and will not be counted in total scores. Apart from this, criteria of other sections have remained unchanged. However the changed pattern has certainly assured the high standards of screening managerial skills of the test takers.

Manjari Shukla
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8803 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 01:02
Expert's post
It is a relatively minor change.
It is still not very clear how this score will compare; what the percentile is, and how it will stick. However, if you do well on other sections of the GMAT, you should do well here too.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 11

Re: any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 03:01
oh! so what about the availability of new sources of preparatioon, new list of books.
the older ones wont do?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross '14

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 08:37
Does this mean that past practice tests won't be a good predictor of what my score will likely be on this newly formatted test?

Would it be possible to take the GMAT before the format change/will schools still accept the score?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 265

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 08:56
As far as I have read - Quant and Verbal will stay exactly the same and as those two components form the final GMAT score it will remain the same. The same goes for all preparation books, which will still be useful for the Quant and Verbal preparation. Nevertheless, all main publishing companies have announced new book editions to come out, most of them in April/Mai 2012, as you can see from Ama*on.

The old GMAT will be available until June 2012 and will still be accepted by business schools until its expiring date, I suppose. If it will be weighted equally as the older one by BS's is another questions, whose answer would be very interesting;)

Regards,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross '14

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 09:01
bgpower wrote:
As far as I have read - Quant and Verbal will stay exactly the same and as those two components form the final GMAT score it will remain the same. The same goes for all preparation books, which will still be useful for the Quant and Verbal preparation. Nevertheless, all main publishing companies have announced new book editions to come out, most of them in April/Mai 2012, as you can see from Ama*on.

The old GMAT will be available until June 2012 and will still be accepted by business schools until its expiring date, I suppose. If it will be weighted equally as the older one by BS's is another questions, whose answer would be very interesting;)

Regards,

That's very helpful. Thank you.

So I'm currently debating whether or not to apply for B-school this cycle (I'll be starting law school May 2012 and have been considering the possibility of a JD/MBA). Would you suggest that I wait until after the change and apply next cycle (the school I'm considering allows us to apply during the first year of law school) or would it make more sense to crank out the GMAT now and try to get in before round 2/round 3 deadline. Is there a huge disadvantage to applying at the round 3 deadline other than scholarship awards?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8803 [1] , given: 3666

Re: any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 21:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You should take it when you can get the best score. I would not be too concerned about the new section - your quant and verbal score are what will be scrutinized the most.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 16:20
Quick question. If the changes come to affect starting June 2012, if I take my GMAT(say in May), the format will be same as the old one, right!?!?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8803 [0], given: 3666

Re: any change in GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 16:23
Expert's post
aisha12 wrote:
Quick question. If the changes come to affect starting June 2012, if I take my GMAT(say in May), the format will be same as the old one, right!?!?

Yes.

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: any change in GMAT ?   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2011, 16:23