Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any Chemical Engineers in the house?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Any Chemical Engineers in the house? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 08:36
I am a chemical engineer looking to make the transition from the sciences into the business world. I have generally been math and science based my whole life (AP Calc and AP Chem in high school, Chemical Engineering Major in college). I am curious if anyone else has a similar background and could share their application process. I was also wondering if anyone knew if being an engineer carried any positives or negatives in the eyes of the admissions committee (Possibly a positive due to being able to bring different work experiences to the class? That's my hope lol).
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 18

Re: Any Chemical Engineers in the house? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2014, 04:16
Expert's post
Pottsmi1 wrote:
I am a chemical engineer looking to make the transition from the sciences into the business world. I have generally been math and science based my whole life (AP Calc and AP Chem in high school, Chemical Engineering Major in college). I am curious if anyone else has a similar background and could share their application process. I was also wondering if anyone knew if being an engineer carried any positives or negatives in the eyes of the admissions committee (Possibly a positive due to being able to bring different work experiences to the class? That's my hope lol).

Hi There,

May I ask where you live? Engineers come aplenty if the applicant profile is Indian, and they also bear the brunt for it by enhancing the competition among themselves by many, many notches. I don't think you belong to that boat :) so there may be something to cheer about then.

There are no positive or negative connotations attached to your being an engineer, a chemical engineer at that. Consider yourself an individual who brings a unique set of experiences to the MBA class.

Adcoms would essentially like to hear your story - personal and professional, know about your career goals and how the MBA fits into your scheme of things. So, focusing upon your strengths will be the key to the admit.

Hope that helps.

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: Any Chemical Engineers in the house? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 13:29
Hey Pottsmi1,

I'm an engineer too (Mechanical UG, Systems Engineering @ work with focus mostly on Electrical). I'm in the middle of working on apps right now for Fall 2015 and have noticed that engineering as a plus or minus is dependent on my story/goals and the school.

For example, most people think it's weird that I would apply to Columbia since my post MBA goals are not finance nor closely tied to NY. It's not that Columbia can't get a former engineer a job in consulting or product management - employment records show that they definitely do and Silicon Alley is up and coming as well. It's just not as easy for me to tell that story and I don't think I could convince anyone that I would attend. If R1 doesn't go well for me I'll definitely think harder about it.

I've heard that adcom gives engineers more leeway on GPA - but I don't have hard data on this so I don't really take it seriously.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Re: Any Chemical Engineers in the house? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 16:08
There are always a ton of engineers in each MBA class. I think it's like 30% or so at Fuqua. Engineers are highly sought after for their work ethic and analytical ability. You just need to be able to sell yourself on why you want to make the transition into a business function.

From Bench to Board: My transition from a non-traditional background into business

Follow @StevenMaBio on Twitter

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: Any Chemical Engineers in the house? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 10:20
MBADecoder wrote:
Pottsmi1 wrote:

Hi There,

May I ask where you live? Engineers come aplenty if the applicant profile is Indian, and they also bear the brunt for it by enhancing the competition among themselves by many, many notches. I don't think you belong to that boat :) so there may be something to cheer about then.

There are no positive or negative connotations attached to your being an engineer, a chemical engineer at that. Consider yourself an individual who brings a unique set of experiences to the MBA class.

Adcoms would essentially like to hear your story - personal and professional, know about your career goals and how the MBA fits into your scheme of things. So, focusing upon your strengths will be the key to the admit.

Hope that helps.

I live in Chicago. I am focusing mainly on kellogg. I recently took the GMAT and got a 720. Undergrad GPA was ~3.6.

Thanks!
Re: Any Chemical Engineers in the house?   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2014, 10:20