Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Posts: 618
Location: PA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 166 [3] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 03:28
3
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (01:51) correct 46% (00:41) wrong based on 278 sessions
Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits is a terminating decimal. For example, 12, 0.13, and 4.068 are three terminating decimals. If j and k are positive integers and the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, is j/k a terminating decimal?

(1) k = 3

(2) j is an odd multiple of 3.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

If the Q jogged your mind do Kudos me : )

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29636
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26180 [0], given: 2706

Re: Terminating Decimal [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 03:37
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
THEORY:

Reduced fraction \frac{a}{b} (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only b (denominator) is of the form 2^n5^m, where m and n are non-negative integers. For example: \frac{7}{250} is a terminating decimal 0.028, as 250 (denominator) equals to 2*5^3. Fraction \frac{3}{30} is also a terminating decimal, as \frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10} and denominator 10=2*5.

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \frac{x}{2^n5^m}, (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \frac{6}{15} has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

Questions testing this concept:
700-question-94641.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
is-r-s2-is-a-terminating-decimal-91360.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
pl-explain-89566.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
which-of-the-following-fractions-88937.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits is a terminating decimal. For example, 12, 0.13, and 4.068 are three terminating decimals. If j and k are positive integers and the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, is j/k a terminating decimal?

(1) k = 3 --> now, if j=3p (j is a multiple of 3) then \frac{j}{k}=\frac{3p}{3}=p=integer=terminating \ decimal but if j is not a multiple of 3 then reduced fraction \frac{j}{k}=\frac{j}{3} won't be a terminating decimal, as denominator has primes other than 2 and/or 5. Not sufficient.

(2) j is an odd multiple of 3 --> j=3(2k+1), clearly insufficient as no info about the denominator k.

(1)+(2) \frac{j}{k}=\frac{3(2k+1)}{3}=2k+1=integer=terminating \ decimal. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 334
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Terminating Decimal [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 00:19
But it says the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, so how come j=3p ?
I thought answer is A since J has to be a non-multiple of 3 since if it is a multiple of 3, j/k cannot be expressed as a decimal. COrrect me if i am wrong!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 807
Location: London
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Terminating Decimal [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 00:36
psychomath wrote:
But it says the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, so how come j=3p ?
I thought answer is A since J has to be a non-multiple of 3 since if it is a multiple of 3, j/k cannot be expressed as a decimal. COrrect me if i am wrong!


Anser can't be A. Because just knowing that k=3, doesnt tell you much about the decimal. For instance if j and k do not have 3 as a common factor, it will not cancel out and you will not get a terminating decimal which you would if they do have 3 as a common factor.

Eg. j=1, k=3 : Decimal is 0.333333....
j=6, k=3 : Decimal is 2.0
_________________

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 459
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Terminating Decimal [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 10:08
psychomath wrote:
But it says the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, so how come j=3p ?
I thought answer is A since J has to be a non-multiple of 3 since if it is a multiple of 3, j/k cannot be expressed as a decimal. COrrect me if i am wrong!


Can;t be true..
j can be a multiple of 3.
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1661
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Terminating Decimal [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 04:49
Bunuel wrote:
THEORY:

Reduced fraction \frac{a}{b} (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only b (denominator) is of the form 2^n5^m, where m and n are non-negative integers. For example: \frac{7}{250} is a terminating decimal 0.028, as 250 (denominator) equals to 2*5^3. Fraction \frac{3}{30} is also a terminating decimal, as \frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10} and denominator 10=2*5.

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \frac{x}{2^n5^m}, (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \frac{6}{15} has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

Questions testing this concept:
700-question-94641.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
is-r-s2-is-a-terminating-decimal-91360.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
pl-explain-89566.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
which-of-the-following-fractions-88937.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits is a terminating decimal. For example, 12, 0.13, and 4.068 are three terminating decimals. If j and k are positive integers and the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, is j/k a terminating decimal?

(1) k = 3 --> now, if j=3p (j is a multiple of 3) then \frac{j}{k}=\frac{3p}{3}=p=integer=terminating \ decimal but if j is not a multiple of 3 then reduced fraction \frac{j}{k}=\frac{j}{3} won't be a terminating decimal, as denominator has primes other than 2 and/or 5. Not sufficient.

(2) j is an odd multiple of 3 --> j=3(2k+1), clearly insufficient as no info about the denominator k.

(1)+(2) \frac{j}{k}=\frac{3(2k+1)}{3}=2k+1=integer=terminating \ decimal. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


So I guess for this type of questions we can never asume that k>j unless it says so in the question stem. Am I right?
Cheers
J :)
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29636
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26180 [0], given: 2706

Re: Terminating Decimal [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 07:39
Expert's post
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
THEORY:

Reduced fraction \frac{a}{b} (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only b (denominator) is of the form 2^n5^m, where m and n are non-negative integers. For example: \frac{7}{250} is a terminating decimal 0.028, as 250 (denominator) equals to 2*5^3. Fraction \frac{3}{30} is also a terminating decimal, as \frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10} and denominator 10=2*5.

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \frac{x}{2^n5^m}, (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \frac{6}{15} has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

Questions testing this concept:
700-question-94641.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
is-r-s2-is-a-terminating-decimal-91360.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
pl-explain-89566.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
which-of-the-following-fractions-88937.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits is a terminating decimal. For example, 12, 0.13, and 4.068 are three terminating decimals. If j and k are positive integers and the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, is j/k a terminating decimal?

(1) k = 3 --> now, if j=3p (j is a multiple of 3) then \frac{j}{k}=\frac{3p}{3}=p=integer=terminating \ decimal but if j is not a multiple of 3 then reduced fraction \frac{j}{k}=\frac{j}{3} won't be a terminating decimal, as denominator has primes other than 2 and/or 5. Not sufficient.

(2) j is an odd multiple of 3 --> j=3(2k+1), clearly insufficient as no info about the denominator k.

(1)+(2) \frac{j}{k}=\frac{3(2k+1)}{3}=2k+1=integer=terminating \ decimal. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


So I guess for this type of questions we can never asume that k>j unless it says so in the question stem. Am I right?
Cheers
J :)


Yes, nothing in the stem indicates that k must be greater than j.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 513
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 258 [1] , given: 629

Re: Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 12:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a GMAT Hacks question of the day. The question reappeared on May 8, 2013. Here is the official explanation in case anyone was interested.

Answer: C Statement (1) is insufficient. If the denominator of the fraction is 3, the decimal would be terminating if the numerator is a multiple of 3. For instance, 6/3 = 2, a terminating decimal. However, if the numerator is not a multiple of 3, it will not be terminating, as in 7/3 = 2.33.

Statement (2) is also insufficient. The important factor in determining whether a fraction is equivalent to a terminating decimal is the denominator. If j = 9, the fraction could be 9/3 (terminating) or 9/7 (not terminating).

Taken together, the statements are sufficient. j/k is equal to (3(integer))/3 = integer. An integer is, as defined in the question itself, a terminating decimal. Choice (C) is correct.


Image
_________________

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Re: Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2013, 12:36
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits tarn151 10 20 Aug 2010, 12:18
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits vscid 17 17 Feb 2010, 15:58
1 Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits tarek99 2 20 Aug 2009, 04:43
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits humans 10 24 May 2009, 04:40
Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits Ravshonbek 6 08 Aug 2007, 10:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.