Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any good GMAT word problem books?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Any good GMAT word problem books? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 15:23
I am having a tough time reading the word problems and then turning them into an equation. Once I get to the equation, I am ok. But for some reason I cannot translate the words into the equation. Any advice or a book to refer to would be great!

Thanks,

Josh
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 114

Re: Any good GMAT word problem books? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 15:45
Best book out there is the Manhattan GMAT "Word Translations" book. This book covers every possible word problem the GMAT could throw at you and exactly how to translate it into an equation or solve it. It's also only about $20... It also comes with 6 CAT tests, and a bunch of online material. There are 7 other Manhattan GMAT guides that are good also, I would recommend looking into getting the whole set if you have time (1.5 months or more). If not, pick a few that you think would help you.

PS... make sure you buy the OG12 b/c the Manhattan books refer to the OG12 for many extra practice problems.

Good luck!

Here is the link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Word-Translations ... 019&sr=1-1

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 6

Re: Any good GMAT word problem books? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 20:10
Expert's post
You can also download the GMAT Pill Ebook (free) for additional practice problems.

If you would like additional help, the Problem Solving Pill has an excellent section on Word Translations.

For example, how would you represent "there are twice as many computers as there are printers?"

Is it 2c=p or c=2p?

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [0], given: 165

Re: Any good GMAT word problem books? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 02:19
Expert's post
lippy730 wrote:
I am having a tough time reading the word problems and then turning them into an equation. Once I get to the equation, I am ok. But for some reason I cannot translate the words into the equation. Any advice or a book to refer to would be great!

Thanks,

Josh

You can check out the Veritas Advanced Word Problems book. It is full of word problems (as the name suggests!) with focus on converting sentences to equations. Most of the problems are higher level (say Q44 - 48) and the book also discusses alternative strategies (strategies which don't require you to make equations).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 11

Re: Any good GMAT word problem books? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 22:36
Expert's post
I will second the recommendation of our Word Translations book. Also, if your math is even a little bit rusty, it may help to start with our Foundations of Math book. There are some great word problems in there, and some nice reliable methods for many common challenges, such as turning tricky fraction & percent word problems into workable equations.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: Any good GMAT word problem books? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 01:16
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
lippy730 wrote:

Thanks,

Josh

You can check out the Veritas Advanced Word Problems book. It is full of word problems (as the name suggests!) with focus on converting sentences to equations. Most of the problems are higher level (say Q44 - 48) and the book also discusses alternative strategies (strategies which don't require you to make equations).

I have the same problem when I try to tackle the upper leve question. Verita is also avaiable in ebook, kindle or something like that ?? Telling the truth MGMAT word translation guide is quite good but lack of different things.

Let me know Karishma. Thanks

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [0], given: 165

Re: Any good GMAT word problem books? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 21:03
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
lippy730 wrote:

Thanks,

Josh

I have the same problem when I try to tackle the upper leve question. Verita is also avaiable in ebook, kindle or something like that ?? Telling the truth MGMAT word translation guide is quite good but lack of different things.

Let me know Karishma. Thanks

Yes, we have ebook versions which you can access using your iPhone/iPad.

Contact us on one of the numbers given on this link and let us know exactly what it is that you are interested in.
http://www.veritasprep.com/contact-us/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Any good GMAT word problem books?   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2012, 21:03