Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any good PhD program that allows 2-3 years part time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Any good PhD program that allows 2-3 years part time [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2005, 11:35
Hi
Is there any good PhD program in business that allows for part time students at least for the first 2-3 years course work duration?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2005, 12:24
define "good"
not within the top 50, I think...

M.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2005, 13:31
Hi
yeah, thats what I meant. Top 50 or so although its hard to find rankings for these programs...

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2005, 14:40
I don't know of any. I've heard that Cleveland State allows for PTers, but few would call them a "top program". Every PhD program of which I know is all about FT, and they all think--rightly or wrongly--that you'll have no time to eat or sleep or say "Hi" to your family once you're in. There are plenty of schools which you could essentially attent PT after the first few years of getting your coursework out of the way, as it's commonly done in many disciplines while working on the dissertation. Lots of people go out and get a job after they've reached ABD status. But I doubt any good U.S. programs would allow it up front.

"I was going as fast as I ever went in my whole life...then I fell off."

Intern
Intern

Part time job-PH.D [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2006, 04:33
Hello ,
Any idea about kind of part time job I can do while doing PH.D

How much can I earn by taking 1 hour Yoga class
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2006, 10:10
I like to state that the top schools expect you to be full time committed to the PHD. A person's part time intent itself maybe reason enough for most of the top 50 to interpret it as only a half-hearted inclination to do academic research and they may think that you are keeping PHD as a back-up while pursuing another professional area and focus in parallel. Once this intepretation sets in, it doesnt sit well with the admission committees. They expect you to be 100% devoted to their program and that is why they go to great extent to fund you cent percent and provide medical coverage etc. Basically, schools cannot afford to have people who are pursuing dual options.

On the question of what you can do part-time, it is entirely upto the time you have on your hand apart from a 100% FT PHD study. If you are smart and competent enough to finish your deliverables and still find a few hours on weekends for any activity of your liking, you can still pursue it, assuming you are legally authorized to work part time in the country you are in.

It is going to be hard for anyone to comment on what you can do part time or how much that job can earn, because it entirely depends on the free time one has and the type of work.

Finally, it is my personal opinion that a PHD degree from a good business school unless earned with a full time attendance and focus, does not have that good a prospect, except having a PHD title against your name. Anyone trying to hire you for an academic or research position may be more inclined to look at someone who has done FT study.Again, it is my personal thought.

I myself am trying to get in the top 25 with a 93 percentile score in GMAT and have an MBA from one of the premier IIMs in India.

Deeps
  [#permalink] 16 Jan 2006, 10:10