Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any hope for a low GMATer?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Any hope for a low GMATer? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 20:40
Linda

One of my dreams has been to do an MBA. And obviousy I would like to do it from the best.

I would appreciate your views of my chances in one of the top 10 business schools in the US.

Education
Double degree of Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Law with 1st class honours with Accounting Major (half a dozen prices for top marks throughout my degree)

GPA
In NZ we have a different grading system (including A+,A and A- etc), so can't easily translate to a GPA, but it will be very close to 4.0 as I received excellent grades throughout (A average with only 2 B's over about 45 courses)

GMAT
Have not taken it yet, but I have been scoring between 600 -650 in all my practice tests. I think I will struggle to get up above this in the real one.

Professional Qualifications
Chartered Accountant
Member of the Bar - Barrister & Solicitor

Career
6 years with Deloitte doing Tax Consulting - excellent career progression and good references
3 years as Finance Manager with a listed Utility Company with turnover of about $40m. Again, will be able to get an excellent reference.

Other
International student - from New Zealand
Indian by ethnicity

My real concern is with my GMAT score. I feel my solid acedemic background and requirements of the jobs I have had should be enough to override it, but was wondering if I can convice a top 10 business school of that?

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 11:25
Expert's post
That's a pretty interesting background. I don't know many people with law backgrounds who go to b-school. Definitely use that to your advantage.

Someone like you, with a law background (stereotype: good communicator) and an accounting background (stereotype: good with numbers) should be able to get into a top school. Your background is already fairly well-rounded, so the GMAT isn't the most important thing for you. I think you can show that you're a smart enough applicant. But ideally you'll be able to top 650. My guess is that you're clearly "smart" enough... It's more a matter of getting comfortable with the test. If you can't top 650, you can still get in, although it will be a challenge. If you're below your target school's middle-80% range, then it will be very hard.

Also, what do you want to do with an MBA? Continue in your current line of work? A compelling, focused application story can often overcome a lower GMAT score.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 12:17
Scott

Thanks for your response - I am heartened to know that I may have some hope still.

I will try to focus on getting over 650 on the GMAT. Also, in relation to this, in New Zealand we only have the paper-based GMAT and it is only scheduled once a year. So I feel I am at a disadvantage in that I am unable to readily re-sit if I get a bad result. Can this be mentioned in my applications - or will it seem like an "excuse"?

And Thanks for your views on emphasising my law background. That never occured to me as a plus point.

Yes, I do plan to carry on with my line of career ie. general management, but hopefully go that level higher and in a bigger company (possibly with an international element - which my current job does not have)

Thanks again.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 13:08
Expert's post
Yeah, that sounds like an excuse. Just focus on getting the best GMAT score you can get, and then move on to the other, more important parts of your app.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews