Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

any hopes for me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Johnson
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

any hopes for me? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 06:58
I am overwhelmed by how hard it seems to get in! I am 34(!), 730 GMAT, modest EC's. I am applying R3 @ Cornell!

Is there any reason to feel any hope?

Seeing everyone here with scores just as good and younger, why will they take me...I am struggling to answer this one!

-rsc
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: any hopes for me? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 07:01
You will need to tell us about your work exp and background.If u r 34,I believe u shud have good leadership exp.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: any hopes for me? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 07:08
34 is approaching EMBA territory...you'll have to sell yourself extra-well for any 2-yr programs.
Intern
Intern

Re: any hopes for me? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 07:48
I am IT/Supply Chain/Consultant with project management/solution architect roles.

How to sell 'extra well'?
Please give examples of what leadership experiences might they consider impressive.

Basically what will give me a chance?

-rsc
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: any hopes for me? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 16:16
rscricket, I am 30 and don't have any admits so far. I am already thinking that I am getting old for the B school. May be a year still left in me for the full time program. Anytime after that, it would get harder and harder to convince adcoms that I bring something that a 25 year person wouldn't bring to the classroom.

I work for an American retail company, IT division. All the people in the mid-management (manager and above) are 40+. This is my 2nd Fortune 500 retail company and from what I have seen, it is a norm in the industry. All my college classmates working for a technology/IT company are already in the mid-management. In my opinion, the comparative career progression hurt me this year, at least partially. Although I come in the Indian IT male demographic, I don't work for a tech company. I consciously didn't try to bring this fact out of my essays.

You will have to strive for that. Besides, adcoms are going to expect "bigger and greater" things from you. For a 25 yr old person, automating a task can be an achievement, but for you, they will expect something more, more at the business level.

disclaimer: I am not an expert, but this is what I feel. Take it with a grain of salt.
Intern
Intern

Re: any hopes for me? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 18:50
aakashganga wrote:

Although I come in the Indian IT male demographic, I don't work for a tech company. I consciously didn't try to bring this fact out of my essays.

ru saying that u hid that fact that u were in IT? if yes, wow how could u manage that?!

yes, it is tough but i have heard of ppl get in at 35-36. But as u r saying i am sure they had amazing stories to tell.
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 76915

CAT Tests
Re: any hopes for me? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
rscricket wrote:
I am IT/Supply Chain/Consultant with project management/solution architect roles.

How to sell 'extra well'?
Please give examples of what leadership experiences might they consider impressive.

Basically what will give me a chance?

-rsc

Do you lead teams? Are you an administrative manager? Have you contributed to any new work at your company?

What is your reason for getting an MBA?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: any hopes for me? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 19:48
This post received
KUDOS
rscricket wrote:
aakashganga wrote:

Although I come in the Indian IT male demographic, I don't work for a tech company. I consciously didn't try to bring this fact out of my essays.

ru saying that u hid that fact that u were in IT? if yes, wow how could u manage that?!

yes, it is tough but i have heard of ppl get in at 35-36. But as u r saying i am sure they had amazing stories to tell.

No. What I am trying to say is I didn't highlight the fact that I don't work for a tech company even though I work in IT. So, most probably, I was compared with other fellow Indian applicants who are probably managers in their companies at my age.
Re: any hopes for me?   [#permalink] 25 Dec 2008, 19:48