Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any IMD Applicants for 2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 02:07
This post received
KUDOS
ramanathanblue wrote:
Crezence wrote:
Nope just an email in my inbox, came in the night so I saw it when I was checking my mail in the morning.

How about everyone else?

hey crezence, how was ur interview? Did it go well?
WHats your impression about the school?

Hi Ramanathanblue

Gee where do I start... IMD has such a long and intensive assessment day... overall I guess it went alright... although somehow I'm not feeling the most optimistic about it... ah well 7 business days or so to go

I interviewed in Singapore. There were 7 of us in my group, 3 from Pakistan, 3 from Japan and myself, the entire day was spent in the lounge of the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore... lovely view of Marina Bay while waiting for the interviews to take place.

We were met right on the dot at 8 by the adcom and briefed about the day and given the impromptu preso topic... it was pretty harsh for me as I had just touched down in Singapore at like 230am that same morning (curse the weather in HK for delaying the flight)... but somehow I cranked out a bunch of transparencies and a few notes... what strikes me about this is that 30mins is really all you get to prepare for the preso... and you deliver it after lunch... which gives you like 4-5 hrs where you cant really work on it.

Then came the interview, I was the last before lunch so I had a bit of a time constraint... just about 40-45 mins before we had to cut it short... the interview was very probing, in that she kept probing about my goals and what I wanted to do, not so much the standard 3 "Why" questions and none of that "take me thru your CV" as well... 1 of the interesting questions I got was "what are the first 5 words that come to mind when I mention IMD" and apparently another oddball one (that I didnt get but someone else got) went along the lines of "A man goes to a shoe shop every Saturday morning, what does he go there for?" - Talk about having to think on your feet fast!

Then we had lunch with the alumni... the spreads were way too big so I had to make sure I didnt OD on carbs... else it'd be a very tough afternoon.

After lunch was the presos... and timing was key, they really do stop you after 5 minutes, I think the whole group picked up on this very fast and after the 1st person was stopped at the 5 min mark, everyone else seemed to cut short their presos and finish within 4-5 mins. After that we were given additional information about the preso, then we had 30 mins to churn out a 2nd preso, but discussing it as a group this time, which gave us a taste of what was to come in the group discussions.

After that we had a few minutes break and jumped right into the case study, moderated by one of the adcoms, she basically guided the flow of the discussion and I sensed she was trying to make sure none of us really dominated the discussions. Then we were broken up into smaller groups to discuss different aspects of the case before presenting them to each other to sum up the case.

A few points about the whole process that stood out:
- IMD by far has the most helpful and friendly adcoms I've ever had to deal with. The way they treat you makes you feel like you matter which is a comforting touch
- Research your business case, from what I understand its based on a historical scenario, which means taking note of the economic / political situation of the time helps, also knowing the details of what happened also helps
- Dont dominate the discussion... easier said than done... also make sure you dont get involved in arguing with the group members, its a fine fine line between tactful and aggressive
- If the cross-section of the assessment day is anything to go by, the 90 who get accepted can really look forward to working with people from truely diverse backgrounds
- I cant stop about how nice the adcoms are. My goals post-mba are quite a stretch; at the end of the interview, my interviewer passed me the contact of a student from a few years back who had made exactly the same transition I was looking to make. IMO, that was very touching and just reinforced my view on how tight-knit the communtiy at IMD is

In closing, I'd say it was a very good experience, kinda like some other assessment days I've been for whilst still a student... but for argubly larger stakes.

Good luck to everyone else waiting for the results. And if anyone needs more info or just wants to speak about the process, I'd be more than willing to help.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 03:04
Crezence

good explanation! I had almost the same experience at Lausanne.
I had applicants from different countries, none of us were from the same country.
I got the same question (odd one) too, 5 words about IMD, probably we had the same interviewer.
Because, the adcom told us that they would be travelling to Singapore right after my interview day which was May 18th.
But overall I agree with you that they really take efforts to make you feel comfortable the whole day.
If you do get to be one of the 90 students, then you can be assured that you are sitting with the top applicants. IMD really takes a lot of effort in picking their 90 best. The whole assesment day, they really check if you can work in a group, if you can present on the spot, if you can manage your time of your presentation, and how well you have analyzed the case study they give you before.
I agree completely with you that there is a very thin line between negotiating and being agressive. The group work question post the impromtu presentation is a check of that.
We also had a professor who moderated the case study.
The campus itself was good, not very big, but a few buildings, one for executive education, one for MBA, one for cafeteria; right on the Lake. The lunch was excellent. They even have an ice cream corner in the summer times. We had lunch with current students. When one of us asked them if we need to learn French, we got the reply that you wont have time to really exercise your french language skills outside of IMD campus. THey really make sure that you spend all your time in the campus with your study group.
When are you going to hear back from them? Did they give you any date?

and..its a positive sign that the ad com gave you the details of the Alumni who took the same career path as you intend to. :)

All the best...!
Manager
Manager

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 03:47
hey crezence, which is your preferred school? INSEAD or IMD?
all the best for IMD results!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 05:02
Hey

First off... congrats on INSEAD!

They said that we'll know approx 10 business days after the interview right? Or something like that? Which means its going to be sometime this coming week... looks like another long wait ahead...

Hope that there's a light at the end of the tunnel

:-D
Manager
Manager

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 05:06
Crezence wrote:
Hey

They said that we'll know approx 10 business days after the interview right? Or something like that? Which means its going to be sometime this coming week... looks like another long wait ahead...

thanks Crezence!
yes, 10 days from interview...and IMD was closed on last monday, so they told us 11 days from my interview date...approx next monday or tuesday!
is IMD your first choice?
Manager
Manager

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 06:12
ramanathanblue wrote:
Crezence wrote:
Hey

thanks Crezence!
yes, 10 days from interview...and IMD was closed on last monday, so they told us 11 days from my interview date...approx next monday or tuesday!
is IMD your first choice?

I am in.....I got a call from the program director ...
Now I am torn between INSEAD and IMD... :roll: :cry:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 23:34
Hi Guys...

Here is another person (1 of 90) with an admit to IMD for 2011. I am indeed going... so now its about the $s (perennial ?????) , long wait, preparation, family move, visas etc.

My background: 8 yrs exp/ APAC and ME / supply chain/ Biz Dev, Mgmt / Engr.

In the coming days/ weeks I will share my journey, considerations, views etc. in more detail so we can all benefit (lets see how this develops :-) ). I am one of those candidates who very conciously chose IMD because of fit... so it really isnt only about rankings etc., but more of how it impacts me and my desired career direction. Now, they chose me as well... seems like a happy marriage.

Wishing ALL... the very best!
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 23:43
Hi

Congrats on the admits, just wondering, when were your interviews and where did you attend them?
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 01:49
Hi Crezence,

Interviewed in Lausanne in April. Was put into the same bucket for decisions as round 2.
Guess you are waiting on them, I presume? If so - wish you the best.
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 01:53
IMD2011SB wrote:
Hi Crezence,

Interviewed in Lausanne in April. Was put into the same bucket for decisions as round 2.
Guess you are waiting on them, I presume? If so - wish you the best.

Yeah I interviewed in Singapore, guess it'll be coming in a day or 2 then

Thanks and congrats again
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 17:50
hi all..
i got the acceptance call! so now it's 6 months of preparations for the trip. IMD was the school i really wanted so i'm really excited.
i did the assesment in lausanne. about the assessment day, there's nothing that crezence or ramanathanblue haven't said. we were 8 people from 8 different countries and 6 different industries. the whole process was really cool, a lot of team work and interaction.
sounds a bit cliche but what everybody tells you is right: just be yourself and don't try to dominate the group.
good to luck to everybody applying...
@crezence: did you get the call?
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 21:01
Hi fgar

Congrats on the admit... yeah i've gotten the call too... so looks like I'll be seeing you in January.

Sorting out some issues with the deposit as I'm not based in my home country where my main account is. Its a huge plunge... the deposit amount is huge compared to every other school!

Where abouts are you based? Somewhere in SE Asia / N Asia by any chance?
Intern
Intern
Schools: IMD, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 12:44
Anyone here applied in R3?
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 15:24
Crezence wrote:
Hi fgar

Congrats on the admit... yeah i've gotten the call too... so looks like I'll be seeing you in January.

Sorting out some issues with the deposit as I'm not based in my home country where my main account is. Its a huge plunge... the deposit amount is huge compared to every other school!

Where abouts are you based? Somewhere in SE Asia / N Asia by any chance?

Hi Crezence

Congrats first of all. You mentioned that there were some candidates from Pakistan on your assessment day, is any of them on this forum or did you have their email address. I am originally from Pakistan as well and now based in Europe. I have applied in R3 and wanted to touch base with the some Pakistanis who applied for 2011.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 08:21
All,
I submitted for R3.
Do we get any application complete sort of mail or is it the mail sent by the robot that app has been submitted?

Cheers
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 08:36
subhaska788 wrote:
All,
I submitted for R3.
Do we get any application complete sort of mail or is it the mail sent by the robot that app has been submitted?

Cheers

I got a personalized email from the MBA office confirming my file is complete and that I will be considered for R3.
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 08:42
How many days after submission did you get the mail ?
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 08:53
I got an automated email just after I sumbitted my application and 2 days later got an email from the MBA office. When did you submit the application?
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 09:01
I submitted it on May 30th and how about you ?
Intern
Intern

Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 09:21
Subhaska

I submitted on 1st June, right on the dot. Send the MBA office an email and ask. They are excellent in replying to questions.

Good Luck!!
Re: Any IMD Applicants for 2011   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2010, 09:21